You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

1 minute ago, TheHowieLama said:

Yes mate - it was pointed out in this thread in March that the flu numbers would be low.

Yeah but those who are wrong but won't admit there wrong don't pay attention to little details like fact/logic/reality. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Sorry, I assumed you could do basic arithmetic yourself.

4277-4121=156

Mate, those are the open beds. We know the total number of critical care beds has increased since last year. Don't we?

Wherever you got the little numbers (4277, 4121) from, there will be a bigger number near it.

What are those bigger numbers?

13 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Mate, those are the open beds. We know the total number of critical care beds has increased since last year. Don't we?

Then I don't know what you're asking me.

Last November, 82.9% of 4,121 adult critical care beds were occupied.

This November, 74.2% of 4,277 adult critical care beds are occupied.

Edit following your edit:

Wherever you got the little numbers (4277, 4121) from, there will be a bigger number near it.

What are those bigger numbers?

Those are the bigger numbers. That's the total number of beds.

• Upvote 2

Sheesh.

You seemed to have worded it differently initially. Mah bad.

Two things jump out to me at least. 

Only adding 150 beds through all of this seems a little implausible.

And of course this part:

Hospital capacity has had to be organised in new ways as a result of the pandemic to treat COVID-19 and non-COVID-19 patients separately and safely in meeting the enhanced Infection Prevention Control measures. This results in beds and staff being deployed differently from in previous years in both emergency and elective settings within the hospital. As a result, caution should be exercised in comparing overall occupancy rates between this year and previous years. In general hospitals will experience capacity pressures at lower overall occupancy rates than would previously have been the case.

7 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Sheesh.

You seemed to have worded it differently initially. Mah bad.

Two things jump out to me at least. 

Only adding 150 beds through all of this seems a little implausible.

And of course this part:

Hospital capacity has had to be organised in new ways as a result of the pandemic to treat COVID-19 and non-COVID-19 patients separately and safely in meeting the enhanced Infection Prevention Control measures. This results in beds and staff being deployed differently from in previous years in both emergency and elective settings within the hospital. As a result, caution should be exercised in comparing overall occupancy rates between this year and previous years. In general hospitals will experience capacity pressures at lower overall occupancy rates than would previously have been the case.

Right, well it does seem to be a case of people misunderstanding the difference between an open bed (which can be occupied or unoccupied) and an unoccupied bed, at least that seems to be the only excuse for the neg I just got.

They had the Nightingale hospitals at one point, I don't know if they counted as critical care beds, but they were closed down because they were never used.

Anyway, the takeaway point is that there are fewer people in adult critical care beds now than there were this time last year. I'm sure there are all kinds of considerations around that, but it probably suggests that the present situation isn't orders of magnitude more dire than usual.

3 hours ago, Spy Bee said:

No, I think that we should have an accurate measure of how many people are killed by Covid, not how many people who die have had a positive test in the last 30 days. 

I can't see why this would upset anybody who has relatives suffering because of Covid. People dying is always shit, I don't think anybody has a preference of whether their relative dies of Covid or something else, they just want to know the truth?

In fact, I know someone who recently died from a heart attack, and the family questioned why Covid was on the death certificate when they had never tested positive for Covid. They were told that it would be removed if their post mortem test was negative.

Doesn't surprise me. My old fella went down the hill with Parkinsons before he died, took years. Otherwise he was fine, at one time he used to get through 80 fags a day. All his body functions were good.

On the death certificate was pneumonia.

Tonight on BBC 2 at 9:00 pm.

Lockdown 1.0 - Following the Science?

The scientists behind the scenes tell the extraordinary story of what really happened in the run up to the first lockdown, when ministers claimed to be 'following the science'.

19 Nov 2020 - 9:00pm - 10:00pm

The scientists behind the scenes tell the extraordinary story of what really happened in the run up to the first lockdown, when ministers claimed to be 'following the science'.

3 minutes ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

I hope someone points at the bit where they ignored 3 weeks of Italian deaths rising and cost people in this country their lives by reacting too slow. 

I’ve just had a newsletter from the COVID trial, there have been 350k UK volunteers so far.  The next phase of one trial will have 30k world wide and 6k in the UK.  That speaks to how they’ve managed to move so quickly.  Remember no one is getting paid. 

Here’s the link to the full details of the trial volunteers

https://digital.nhs.uk/dashboards/coronavirus-covid-19-vaccine-studies-volunteers-dashboard-uk?_cldee=c3RldmVjYXppenp5QGljbG91ZC5jb20%3d&recipientid=lead-a38749720928eb11bbf4000d3a86b1cd-819c521a8eba46028861cf10dc919d97&esid=834a2aca-7c2a-eb11-a813-002248007f84

9 minutes ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

The Tories have pre ordered 100m doses of the Ox/Az vaccine. Isn't it a couple of stages behind in development to the Pfizer one ?

From what I remember yes, they’re talking about Christmas time for the real data and efficacy.

But the Ox/AZ vaccine isn’t as fragile as the others that are ready so it really is a ‘game changer’. Especially when you factor in problems with transportation post Brexit that might hit ports and imports of medicines and, possibly, the other vaccines.

MD in Private Eye is positive about it, but still stressing that it’s not a magic bullet and we’ll need T&T to be effective to really feel the benefits during initial roll outs.

Sounds promising though and feels like there’s light at the end of the tunnel, finally.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

Why doesn't stuff like this make bbc1?