You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

3 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

This would suggest that the actual number of deaths is just 13% of those being recorded in the UK, as Sweden uses actual cause of death. That would mean we were getting significantly less than 100 Covid deaths per day, out of over 1600 deaths. That would shine an entirely different light on things.

How is the death toll calculated?

The statistics show the number of people in Sweden who have died with Covid-19. That's everyone who has died after testing positive for the virus; it doesn't mean that the virus itself was a cause of death for all these cases.

Caught this snippet on the BBC rolling covid coverage -

The government would have received more criticism if it had acted slowly to secure personal protective equipment (PPE) during the Covid-19 pandemic, Jacob Rees-Mogg has claimed, amid concerns from Labour about a lack of transparency in the procurement process.

A report by the National Audit Office found suppliers with links to Conservative MPs were given priority but the Commons leader said: "The issue with procurement was there was a great deal that had to be done and that had to be procured extremely quickly.

"The government would have been much more criticised if it had not actually ensured that the equipment needed was provided."

Mr Rees-Mogg added 32 billion pieces of PPE have been provided since the beginning of the pandemic and said the normal time for a tender was between three and six months.

"Speed was of the essence and speed was what was provided," he said.

And here I was thinking that they just wanted to fill the pockets of their mates even if it meant lots of people would die.

Turns out they were just trying to be really speedy.

I feel a right fool now.

3 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Is Spy Bee now parsing deaths to make himself feel better?

"You, die over there. No, not here, over there."

Circa 1600 people were dying per day this time last year and a similar number are dying now. I don't think there is a preferred cause of death.

1 minute ago, Spy Bee said:

Circa 1600 people were dying per day this time last year and a similar number are dying now. I don't think there is a preferred cause of death.

You should ring them directly mate - apparently they feel they have an issue now that they did not have before. Pretty sure they will be relieved to know they don't have anything to worry about.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

You should ring them directly mate - apparently they feel they have an issue now that they did not have before. Pretty sure they will be relieved to know they don't have anything to worry about.

Rather than angling it to suggest I am denying a problem exists, why don't you tackle the subject matter at hand. Why would a family possibly prefer it if their relatives death is registered as a Covid death. Nobody here is denying that Covid deaths exist, but they are clearly overstated. 

In a bad flu season, if we mass tested for flu and recorded deaths in this was 18,000 deaths would be more like 60,000!*

*up to 70% of flu cases are asymptomatic, so unidentified.

Just now, Spy Bee said:

Rather than angling it to suggest I am denying a problem exists, why don't you tackle the subject matter at hand. Why would a family possibly prefer it if their relatives death is registered as a Covid death. Nobody here is denying that Covid deaths exist, but they are clearly overstated. 

In a bad flu season, if we mass tested for flu and recorded deaths in this was, 18,000 deaths would be more like 60,000!*

*70% of flu cases are asymptomatic, so unidentified.

Ok, so what are you saying? There's really no issue here, we should just stop tracking deaths as in your mind they're overstated and just let the virus run wild and give our shoulders a collective shrug? 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

In a bad flu season, if we mass tested for flu and recorded deaths in this was 18,000 deaths would be more like 60,000!*

6 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Ok, so what are you saying? There's really no issue here, we should just stop tracking deaths as in your mind they're overstated and just let the virus run wild and give our shoulders a collective shrug? 

I don't know why I fucking bother.

11 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

This is one of the reasons why excess deaths is a much better measure of the impact coronavirus is having. I remember everyone trumpeting excess deaths in April and May, but the problem now is that there essentially aren't any excess deaths, and that runs contrary to the second wave narrative.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

I don't know why I fucking bother.

But you are suggesting the problems don't exist or at least are not significant. You've been doing it for months. It wasn't so long ago you told us it had faded away and worn out, then the 2nd wave was seasonal cold and now that it's not really that bad as us and the whole world are rigging the numbers, except Sweden. 

2 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

But you are suggesting the problems don't exist or at least are not significant. You've been doing it for months. It wasn't so long ago you told us it had faded away and worn out, then the 2nd wave was seasonal cold and now that it's not really that bad as us and the whole world are rigging the numbers, except Sweden. 

Just strawman bullshit.

2 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

So are you disputing the fact that if the flu deaths were recorded in the same way Covid numbers are, then a bad flu season would be 60 - 70 thousand deaths?

7 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

So are you disputing the fact that if the flu deaths were recorded in the same way Covid numbers are, then a bad flu season would be 60 - 70 thousand deaths?

In the UK?

As a point, the way flu deaths are recorded are actually more inclusive in the UK than Covid. The numbers you see are flu and pneumonia as they are lumped together.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

In the UK?

As a point, the way flu deaths are recorded are actually more inclusive in the UK than Covid. The numbers you see are flu and pneumonia as they are lumped together.

75% of cases of flu are unidentified, so only 25% are identified. Therefor 18,000 becomes 72,000

Although, that's probably not quite right, as flu is more prevalent in the elderly & the elderly are more likely to die. Might be closer to six figures.

Just now, Spy Bee said:

75% of cases of flu are unidentified, so only 25% are identified. Therefor 18,000 becomes 72,000

Although, that's probably not quite right, as flu is more prevalent in the elderly & the elderly are more likely to die. Might be closer to six figures.

I have no idea how you are extrapolating that.

As far as I am aware not many asymptomatic folks keel over from either flu or Covid.

The study you posted said as much - the majority don't even see a Doctor - it is highly doubtful that they then die.

Without going to see a Doctor. In fact it is bordering on ridiculous.

• Upvote 1