You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The New Leader of the Labour Party

Numero Veinticinco

6 minutes ago, Neil G said:

I don’t get it.

It is humour

The fella was quoted:

‘if the Labour Party is found to be anti Semitic, then so be it’.

I - in a completely non-anti-semitic way - inserted the punchline:

‘Jews, if the Labour Party is found to be anti Semitic, then so be it’.

Get it?

10 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

It is humour

The fella was quoted:

Get it?

Sounds anti-Semitic to me 

17 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

It is humour

The fella was quoted:

Get it?

Ah ok. Proper zinger that Howie.

Even in a matter of weeks I'd say the internal processes in the PLP have come on leaps and bounds. Things like policy and press sign off, media monitoring and message discipline are noticeably far better. 

I was knee deep in the last election and it was a clusterfuck with a complete vacuum of leadership and organisation coming from the top.

There was lots of grassroots helpers, people coming in to deliver leaflets and what not, but the messaging itself was often made up on the spot with MPs on WhatsApp groups sharing ideas with each other about how to fight their own corner in their own part of the country. Every man and woman for themselves.

A lot of people felt aggrieved at how Corbyn was treated (often with some justification, the media especially jumped the shark very early on with its treatment of him) but that often was used to mask his administration's failings by his supporters.

For me, the Corbyn project fundamentally misunderstood the British public. It wanted to create a grassroots movement of constituency labour parties and that we the people would all gravitate to them, elect from among our number someone to represent us and send them to parliament. They would then serve at our pleasure and be replaced when we the people deemed they'd stopped representing us properly.

It's a nice idea, but in practice the vast bulk of the British public aren't political and they all roughly want the same things. A house, a job, a school for their kids and some peace and quiet.

So what you ended up with was CLPs that were filled with people who were very political, some of them nice people, some of them vile, utilising what power they'd now been given to hold MPs over a barrel, not always for noble reasons (I know some MPs who feel tremendous pressure to give favourable treatment to family and friends of leading CLP voices, both in terms of the jobs they dole out and the services they provide - certain names always go to the tops of casework lists. This kind of structure creates a lot scope for little Hitlers.

When mandatory reselections were being considered, said MPs spent most of their time watching their own backs rather than sticking the boot into the Tories.

You saw this disconnect at conferences too. There was almost this dismissive attitude to MPs, and instead or getting people like Ed Balls - who had taught at Harvard and written leaders for the FT - giving talks on the economy to a television audience of potential future floating voters, you got some random delegate from South Shields proposing motions of solidarity with Kashmir. Meanwhile joe sixpack is sat at home wondering what the fuck.

Blair's labour party was often glibly dismissed as "just a machine for winning elections", I'd argue Corbyn's labour was a machine for not winning elections.

50 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Yes , and the mp's had been so helpful to the effort over the past 4 years hadn't they, poor souls , and surely most CLP's and certainly most local councillors are not newcomers from 2015 onwards.

The British public don't vote for CLPs, they vote for MPs. Not everyone who votes labour is a member of the labour party let alone goes to meetings. 

This is another flaw in the election strategy, the British public and vast tracts of labour voters are not the labour membership.

On 16/04/2020 at 20:33, Rico1304 said:

John McDonnell has apparently just said ‘if the Labour Party is found to be anti Semitic, then so be it’.  Seems, well, a bit off. 

Rico,  you seem to have taken the quote out of context, now as you're far from a dull boy one may assume this oversight may have been deliberate. 

Oh dear . Seems the opportunity to kick and tarnish a leading member of the labour party was too good a chance to let slip and whilst this silly little game of let's sling some mud continues real anti semitism is allowed to roam free and genuine hate filled anti semitic peddlers of filth continue to do their worst.