You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Russia World Cup 18

Bjornebye

Southgate is a very, very average club manager (I'm being generous) but if we believe the media and especially if they win this afternoon he'll have reached the level of a guru.

He’s only ever had one job at club level.

Yes he got Middlesbrough relegated in his third season but before that he had them finishing mid table for two seasons.

He was sacked when they were fourth in the Championship too.

He may well be a shit club manager but i’m not sure you can say that with any certainty after just one job.

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He’s only ever had one job at club level.

Yes he got Middlesbrough relegated in his third season but before that he had them finishing mid table for two seasons.

He was sacked when they were fourth in the Championship too.

He may well be a shit club manager but i’m not sure you can say that with any certainty after just one job.

With a bit of luck, when Shitcoat inevitably flounces, he'll get the Utd job on the back of this...

I think Jesus deserved a pen and was essentially punished for Neymar being on his team.

Having said that, it is nice to see refs stand up to diving cunts, although I wish it would be done with more consistency. Seeing the replay of Neymar's own pen shout with the late header, I've seen those given plenty but you see him decide to pull away and go down rather than head the ball which he very well still could've. He had a chance to be a hero and stuff it up that refs arse but instead carried on with the antics and got the same result he'd gotten all game, and for much of the tournament.

As far as Martinez goes, I'm not buying that this was some tactical masterclass. Belgium did them on the counter 2 or 3 times but only had one goal to show for it. Brasil were on top for most of the game, they didn't get the luck Belgium did in terms of an own goal that should've been dealt with comfortably had two defenders not essentially been occupying the same space. Had it not been for Courtois heroic's and some really poor misses by players that usually don't they'd have gotten a hiding in that second half, especially after Bobby and Costa came on.

Tite needs to be fired and the next manager they appoint needs to build a balanced team, whether Neymar like its or not.

I'd like to know what the rules are regarding the ball heading out of play when contact is made as I don't think the ball would have stayed in if he had stayed on his feet. This is the only thing that makes me think this is not a penalty, otherwise it obviously is.

I'd like to know what the rules are regarding the ball heading out of play when contact is made as I don't think the ball would have stayed in if he had stayed on his feet. This is the only thing that makes me think this is not a penalty, otherwise it obviously is.

Yea, that's fair enough but I feel like generally they're given based on where the ball is rather than where it's headed. Just like a player can get clipped running towards the outside of the box but if the foul is in the box then it's a pen. If it's already clarified in the rules then it should be enforced that way all the time, or if it isn't and they want to then they should. For them not even to have the ref on the pitch take a second look at it was silly to me. It kind of felt like they just didn't want to make that call at that point of the game.

If the ball is still in play then if there is a foul then the free kick or penalty is given dependent on where the infringement took place.If ball is out of play no free kick or penalty is given.

Neymar should have been born in the 40's. The agents and advisors got to him and turned him into a loathsome primadonna.

It's mad the way Bobby Firmino has gone full "Shitness of modern football" off-field, with his hair, his tats, his teeth and his Instagram account. But once he's on the pitch, he's an old-fashioned grafter.
  • Upvote 2

I have no time for the play-acters but have been surprised how lenient the referees have been. Everybody is going on about Neymar's antics , but as far as I can see he gets fouled 75% of the time he has the ball, usually without any sanction. There have been some really poor challenges that have been borderline red in the Prem that have not even been a talking-to by the refs here. I assume FIFA are just looking to blow that it is the fairest tournament ever, but it certainly hasn't been. 

Of course I’m biased, but Brazil would have been a far more effective, devastating side if they’d played Firmino. Crazy that Jesus got so much time despite producing next to nothing. I’d imagine there’s a lot of political bullshit and Neymar-pleasing in their tactical decisions.

I have no time for the play-acters but have been surprised how lenient the referees have been. Everybody is going on about Neymar's antics , but as far as I can see he gets fouled 75% of the time he has the ball, usually without any sanction. There have been some really poor challenges that have been borderline red in the Prem that have not even been a talking-to by the refs here. I assume FIFA are just looking to blow that it is the fairest tournament ever, but it certainly hasn't been.

100% agree with this. Neymar and many others’ play acting and not least time wasting has made this one of the worst WCs to me.

But on the other hand I think the refs have allowed far too many fouls and given the superior players and teams far too little protection. Not that there has been that many dangerous fouls, more the constant and repeated cynical fouls to stop the opposition attack and break up the flow of the game. This has mostly gone without punishment, meaning the better teams and players are not allowed to shine, and the entertainment value drops heavily.

100% agree with this. Neymar and many others’ play acting and not least time wasting has made this one of the worst WCs to me.

But on the other hand I think the refs have allowed far too many fouls and given the superior players and teams far too little protection. Not that there has been that many dangerous fouls, more the constant and repeated cynical fouls to stop the opposition attack and break up the flow of the game. This has mostly gone without punishment, meaning the better teams and players are not allowed to shine, and the entertainment value drops heavily.

A complete blind eye has also been turned to diving and attempts to get opponents sent off, though.

Too many selfish players in the team especially Neymar, aways looking for the "Hollywood" pass, it's no good receiving the ball doing some fancy shit and then pinging a perfect 70 yard pass to the feet of a team mate, by the time the ball gets there the opponents have sprinted back and got into a decent defensive position.

Also no good being on the wing with nobody near you, in a prime position to launch a dangerous cross into the area but instead choosing to dribble into the box and attempting to get past the 4 waiting defenders before rushing to get a shot off.

I feel like Neymars move to France has fucked his progression up, the standard of player he faces weekly is dire compared to what he was playing against in Spain, and when he was at Barca he wasn't the biggest name so he couldn't afford to be selfish when Suarez or Messi are sat off in the box waiting for the pass, at PSG he can get away with it so he's picking up bad habits.

All style no substance, I'm probably extremely biased but Bobby seemed like the only one who was interested in receiving the ball and quickly passing it on without any theatrics, he also seemed to be the only one trying to press consistently.

Man for man they should have the ability to smash anybody, they need a decent manager to rein in some of the egos.

Back in the day playing FIFA there would be various points where I'd get quite good at the game then usually become shit not long after, it would be because I stop using the basics. I'd pull off something good then keep trying to emulate it, to the point I'd be putting myself at a disadvantage because I'd be trying and failing doing daft moves instead of just passing the fucking ball about and trying to score.

It was like Brazil were trying to constantly throw haymakers to get the Hollywood finish, but they're easily dodged because they're projecting so much. While at the same time they're getting peppered with weak jabs that aren't hurting but at least they're landing.

I do reckon it was a penalty, and I reckon the ref would have given it if Jesus didn't hit the deck crying and doing about 5 rolls forward, the ref clearly had no time for such nonsense. So even though it was the wrong decision I'm glad because it's a small step towards stopping games being decided by a penalty because someone was struck by a warm fart in the box.

I also reckon that if a player demands that the ref goes to VAR because of a foul but the ref decides its a dive then it should be an automatic yellow card. There was a case where Neymar did his usual bollocks and starting drawing a square with his fingers, and when the ref told him to fuck off the Belgium players were miming a card. Ref just left play to carry on instead of fucking about, which was definitely the right decision, but I'd have told Neymar straight up, if you tell me to go to VAR I will do, but if you've dived then you're getting carded. Then watch the little cunt squirm.

• Upvote 1

Another good result for us last night.

Get Firmino home and away from that shite.

A Belgian side made up of loads of players from all our main rivals are now out there for the duration meaning more disruption to pre-season/coming back from holiday and the season virtually starting straight away...Ingerlund winning today (crashing defeat next round though please) would be just about bearable too for same reasons with loads of our rivals best players being stuck out there.

I can't stand international footy but looks like this world cup has worked out pretty well for us.

• Upvote 2

Woke up and lashed world in motion on my Spotify. What does my shuffle on there do? Puts Fields of Athenry by Charlie and the bhoys live in the barrowlands on right after.

My plan is to watch Fabinho and Naby then England. Jurgen better not fuck me by putting them on in different halves.