You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Drones

If I wanted to blow up The Miami Dolphins Stadium with a drone packed with shit here is basically a map. By Drone.

If you are watching MI6 (CIA) it's not going to be me but get your shit together.

I'm available Mi6 by the way. Just in case. I'm not racist or a Liberal Democrat.

Fuck. This thing is quick. Sport mode can fly 45mph and it turns in an instant. Kind of scary at first.

The only footage is my ugly mug standing in my tip of a garden, so I'll share something when I have something worth sharing.

You could gave shared pictures of your girlfriend if you'd gone with my suggestion.

• 1 year later...
Guest Pistonbroke

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-49158509

A £6m military drone crashed after it landed beyond its planned touchdown point and hit a tree, a Ministry of Defence (MoD) report has revealed.

The Watchkeeper WK050 came down on 13 June, 2018, less than a mile from Penparc school, Aberporth, where pupils were taking part in a sports day.

Five drones - almost 10% of a 54-strong fleet bought from French firm Thales - have been wrecked in mid Wales crashes.

The MoD said action had been taken to address problems.

Its report, revealed following a Freedom of Information request, said the drone "landed long" of its touchdown point, before veering to the right.

The system computer failed to register it had landed so "auto-aborted as it approached the end of the runway".

Its engine then powered up and the drone "climbed away".

When it was 40ft (12m) above the ground, the pilot cut the engine.

The report concluded "the pressing of the engine cut was the cause of the accident".

After that it "glided over the road and crashed into a tree, approximately 900m beyond" the landing point.

"Had no action been taken by the crew the AV (aerial vehicle) would have completed its automatic go-around, from which it could have been commanded to conduct a further approach," the report said.

The drone was being tested at West Wales Airport at Aberporth, Ceredigion.

An MoD spokesman said action had been taken to address identified problems and it was "considering all of the recommendations".

A Thales spokesman said it had "already addressed the vast majority of the recommendations".

"Unmanned aircraft systems like Watchkeeper are designed to keep our service people out of hostile environments," he said.

"Our ability to rigorously test their capabilities and meet the highest standards of testing and certification demanded of the UK's military aviation authorities means that we are ultimately able to deliver a safe system when deployed in operational situations."

"Had no action been taken by the crew the AV (aerial vehicle) would have completed its automatic go-around, from which it could have been commanded to conduct a further approach," the report said

That would be the same system that had failed to register it had actually landed on the runway?

Late last year when out in the back garden, I heard this odd sound and wondered what it was, and looked up to see a drone whizzing past, and it disappeared about 100 metres away. How stupid and irresponsible, I thought, flying that within a half kilometre of a final approach of a flight path to an aerodrome, never mind the statutory 5 miles exclusion zone, the thick shit.

That night, at about 8pm, there was a knock on the door. I opened it, and there was a neighbour, a proper busybody know-all, from, strangely enough, about 100 metres away, telling me that if I saw a red light out the back of the house, not to worry, it was her grandson's drone that he had expertly got caught 40ft up in a tree! Oh how I laughed!

She was puzzled as to what was so funny, so I told her it served him right for flying it within the flight exclusion zone. "He wasn't near that. He's only a child, he wouldn't know about that. That's €1200 up that tree " she snarkily replied. "But if whoever is operating it is not proficient enough at flying it, so that it gets stuck in a tree, imagine what could happen if it was within the flight path with a plane landing. You're an adult who's lived here for 40+ years, so you should know and be responsible for allowing that. That's exactly why there's an exclusion zone, and it's not age dependent, it's for everybody" I responded. This mad bat would be the first to criticise if somebody else did the same.

The light stayed on well after midnight, but by morning, the battery was done, but the drone stayed there almost a week before a wild wind blew it down. I don't know if the kid got his expensive toy back, or if the owner of the house where the tree is found it and wonders who owns it. It tickles me that Daddy, a spoilt little shite as a kid, has forked out €1200 for a drone for Jr and had to watch helpless as it swayed in the treetop. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 4 years later...

How was it then, @Rick Sanchez C-137?

Turdette bought a remote control plane the other week, after some encouragement from Dad. 

I absolutely love the thing, it’s essentially a drone but without cameras. Just great fun, best toy any of my kids have owned, for me especially. Definitely gonna look at some cheap drones when I’ve got some spare cash. 

On 10/09/2023 at 17:46, Captain Turdseye said:

How was it then, @Rick Sanchez C-137?

Turdette bought a remote control plane the other week, after some encouragement from Dad. 

I absolutely love the thing, it’s essentially a drone but without cameras. Just great fun, best toy any of my kids have owned, for me especially. Definitely gonna look at some cheap drones when I’ve got some spare cash. 

I sold mine about 12 months after just as I wasnt getting the use out of it. My PC was shite and my video editing capabilities even more shite.

Both are better now so Im tempted to go for a DJI Mini Pro 3. But they are fucking expensive and I cant justify the cost now. Oh to be back pre2020 when being alive cost 30% of what it does now.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Harry's Lad said:

There's been one looking into people's gardens round here lately which coincides with sheds being broken into.

Apparently someone at the back of us just missed bringing it down with a clothes prop.

It turns out it was doing the rounds a few months ago when my Son in Laws motorbike got robbed.

I think they should really have some sort of feature where you can point your phone at it, and it would identify a registered user. Would stop a lot of the cunts using them for cunty things.