You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Becoming a landlord

Rick Sanchez C-137

Not that I am advocating it, but the one thing you could do to drop property prices like a stone would be to abolish housing benefit. That would royally fuck landlords.

But only abolish it being paid to buy to let landlords rather than Housing Associations. Housing benefit is the only thing that keeps millions from being homeless.

I'm sorry I started the thread in all honesty. I'd have been better off cutting out the middle man and just walking around the city centre and murdering the homeless.

***SERIOUS POST ALERT***

Are you intending to give this chap a fixed rent and fixed term of five years?  Or are you intending to give him six/twelve months at a time?

The latter would be more favourable to you (by far) in case your circumstances change, or if he turns out to be Commie tenant scum.  

Anyway good luck and God bless all Landlords everywhere this Christmas.  

Are you intending to give this chap a fixed rent and fixed term of five years?  Or are you intending to give him six/twelve months at a time?

Probably a verbal contract for the 4-5 years with an actual contract of 12 months with the option to extend every year.

It probably all moot now as I haven't heard from him since Friday so he may have found somewhere.

I'd rather just sell but I can't keep paying for it for months with christmas coming up.

Disappointed to be honest. I opened this expecting to read about a nice career change. Quiet, friendly pub, with regulars dropping in for a pint and a chat, game of darts in the corner, fella with his dog, pork scratchings, etc.

You got one right 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• 4 months later...

Probably a verbal contract for the 4-5 years with an actual contract of 12 months with the option to extend every year.

It probably all moot now as I haven't heard from him since Friday so he may have found somewhere.

I'd rather just sell but I can't keep paying for it for months with christmas coming up.

How you getting on with this then, mate?