You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2018 Transfer Thread

Anubis

Obviously I prefer VVD and I hope we can get that one over the line, but if not, we do need more at the back. I’m not necessarily against this fella, but I don’t know anything about him. If he’s better than what we currently have, good.

I’m still thinking I’d like to see Gomez and Matip as a central defensive pairing, or maybe Gomez, Matip, and this scrabble score fella in a back three?

Big step up from Anderlecht to the Prem, so there’s obvious caution. Also, while some players are late bloomers, getting to age 28 and not having anyone bigger than Anderlecht come in for you might be a concern.

Liverpool have identified Kara Mbodji as a defensive solution if they fail in their long-term pursuit of Virgil van Dijk.

The Anderlecht defender has impressed for the Belgian side and Senegal, with team-mate and Reds star Sadio Mane bound to play a pivotal role in his decision.

The 28-year-old is worth £10m, report Turkish Football, who add that Brighton are also keen.

Serie A and Turkish Super Lig clubs have also expressed an interest and watched Mbodji in action against South Africa.

Turkish report on an English club's pursuit of a Senegalese player based in Belgium?

Done deal.

In that you said the 2nd option was more expensive, so either the 1st choice was vetoed by the committee/or we again pissed someone off or we vastly over payed for the 2nd choice as it doesn't make sense does it in that the 1st choice cost less so we'll go for the 2nd choice at double the price! So it negates your point as you seemed to state 1st choice was 1st because of price which it clearly wasn't.

Yeah okay. 

Liverpool have identified Kara Mbodji as a defensive solution if they fail in their long-term pursuit of Virgil van Dijk.

The Anderlecht defender has impressed for the Belgian side and Senegal, with team-mate and Reds star Sadio Mane bound to play a pivotal role in his decision.

The 28-year-old is worth £10m, report Turkish Football, who add that Brighton are also keen.

Serie A and Turkish Super Lig clubs have also expressed an interest and watched Mbodji in action against South Africa.

tumblr_nn9pb7URlE1sohv25o1_1280.gif

"If". We're not getting Van Dijk lads. We probably never fucking well were. Didn't even bid for him.

Let us get desperate for a fucking defender other than what we've got, then give us some cheap never-has-been shite.

I just want a new defender to rant about,  I'm bored shitless slagging off Lovren

Jesus, 70m.   50 was grossly over priced, 70 is just hysterical.  At no point has this chap actually looked top class, it's insane that a world record fee for a centre back is suddenly being talked about for no good reason.

Sergio Ramos must be worth about 200m.

He caught up to Mane one time when he was through on goal so he must be brilliant.

Jesus, 70m.   50 was grossly over priced, 70 is just hysterical.  At no point has this chap actually looked top class, it's insane that a world record fee for a centre back is suddenly being talked about for no good reason.

Sergio Ramos must be worth about 200m.

There is zero chance we will pay 70m for him.  Zero.

We were probably willing to overpay at the end of the summer window when it became clear that we didn't really have a Plan B and Southampton held all the cards, and I could imagine a fee of 65-70m (including some pretty hefty add-ons) being discussed.

Now I'd doubt it will be over 50m. Every month that goes by has made it increasingly clear that it's in Southampton's interest to do the deal, so their leverage while still significant has declined.

There is no way that 30m wouldn't buy you a top class centre half.

Here, some might expect me to name a few possible centre half buys from around Europe.

I can't.

But then again, I'm not an elite football club with a vast network of scouts and an endless supply of money and resources.

• Upvote 1

There is no way that 30m wouldn't buy you a top class centre half.

Here, some might expect me to name a few possible centre half buys from around Europe.

I can't.

But then again, I'm not an elite football club with a vast network of scouts and an endless supply of money and resources.

You don't need to have an endless supply of money or resources to know that getting top-class players is ridiculously expensive. You do have a TV, and a computer, so it can't be that hard to match some top-class players (top-class players are generally stars, after all) with the fee you just mentioned?