You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Steven Caulker

aRdja

Short term solution for the short term whereas our long term problem will be sorted in the long term. The long term isnt that long, in fact its pretty short term when considering other long term problems which can only be done in the short term

• Upvote 1

Short term solution for the short term whereas our long term problem will be sorted in the long term. The long term isnt that long, in fact its pretty short term when considering other long term problems which can only be done in the short term

Should this be in the 'Profound bollocks' thread on the GF?

He cost nowt and let's be honest we have a fairly regular tradition of signing shite centre halfs so it's nothing new and at least for not much, oh and he can't be any worse than these two CB's that still give me nightmares....

Mauricio Pellegrino and Sotirios Kyrgiakos

Sorry but this signing represents where we are now....bang in the middle of mediocre

Come along now, lets give the boy approx 7 minutes and 1 nervous pass across the back four before we give it the full big potatoes and really steam in to him.

Im sure if we try hard enough we can pin some of the inevitable madness associated with signing him on Rafa, Hicks and Gillet, Ayre, Comolli, FSG, Rodgers and maybe Moores. In that order.

• Upvote 4

I was against this signing when I first heard about it but after seeing his interview and thinking about it Im ok with it.

He can't handle players with pace but my favourite LFC player of all time hypia couldn't either, if he comes in and can dominate in the air I can see him securing a permanent transfer.

Fuck me.

Hyppia could handle anything, I've never seen him skinned by anyone, he wasn't fast but he didn't need to be because he had supernatural positional sense. Hyppia was in our box, what Fowler was in theirs.

• Upvote 2

Hyypia was silk but he did struggle against pace a bit 1 v 1, especially in his final years as a player. Andy Gray used to go on about it all the time (och if they can just get wee Sami isolated 1 v 1 och).  He was well protected with the system Rafa used, what with two holding mids and a sweeper-keeper behind.    He bowed out at just the right time, did Sami. 

Fuck me.

Hyppia could handle anything, I've never seen him skinned by anyone, he wasn't fast but he didn't need to be because he had supernatural positional sense. Hyppia was in our box, what Fowler was in theirs.

Sami may have moved slow, but it was only because Sami didn't have to move for anybody.

• Upvote 1

Phil Babb was pretty fast. 

Just saying this to illustrate the point that pace alone is not the be all and end all. As people are pointing out, Hyypia had so much to his game besides great pace that he rarely got caught out for pace. He was imperious in the air and his positional sense was excellent. 

I was against this signing when I first heard about it but after seeing his interview and thinking about it Im ok with it.

He can't handle players with pace but my favourite LFC player of all time hypia couldn't either, if he comes in and can dominate in the air I can see him securing a permanent transfer.

Fuck me, that's absolutely bollocks

• Downvote 1