You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Daniel Sturridge - 2020

Watch some of his clips from 2013 mate. He was as quick as Mané. Giving Vertonghen 10 yard head starts and beating him to the ball. 

I've never seen him as fast as Mane but maybe that's just a perception thing. Mane seems ferociously quick.

I don't see how people have deemed he has lost all his pace though. Are there any clips from this season which show an obvious loss of pace?

Klopp and Sturridge's relationship is very fractious and this will do nothing but worsen it. I agree playing Sturridge out wide is stupid, he's miles better centrally. However, it was only one game and Klopp wanted to build on a very successful attacking performance at Arsenal, against Burnley he showed no desire, no effort and strolled through the game. His performance and this interview shows to me his lack of respect for both Klopp and his teammates. He's a brilliant player, one I've always tried to defend but it's always a bit of a circus surrounding him, it's not as if he's been asked to play as a wingback, it's a role he's played many times for Chelsea, us under Rodgers, England only this summer. The lad needs to cop the fuck on, I don't think Jurgen is going to take to kindly to this mind. 

I've never seen him as fast as Mane but maybe that's just a perception thing. Mane seems ferociously quick.

I don't see how people have deemed he has lost all his pace though. Are there any clips from this season which show an obvious loss of pace?

There was a passage of play against Burnley where someone played him in and he showed an alarming lack of pace. Injuries have definitely taken their toll, which is understandable. He's the best finisher at the club by a country mile though.

"Daniel is travelling tonight on a plane." 

I was once listening to an Elton John compilation tape.  I was sat in the car outside the offy.  I got bored part way through Daniel so pressed eject.

The same song was on the radio, playing at exactly the same place as my tape was when I ejected it.

I have never heard it played on the radio before or since.

True story.

Oh, and Daniel Sturridge should realise that he is not the pivotal player he thinks he is, but rather is just one more part of a bigger machine.  He can be effective, but moaning in the press does him no favours.  Get your head down and work hard for the team, boy.

• Upvote 3

There was a passage of play against Burnley where someone played him in and he showed an alarming lack of pace. Injuries have definitely taken their toll, which is understandable. He's the best finisher at the club by a country mile though.

It was a great ball from Coutinho, the kind of thing his first two seasons here he would have taken in his stride, rounded the goalkeeper and put in the back of the net.

It has really stuck in my memory because it was the first time I've actually started to doubt him.  He didn't even really run for it, and the commentator blamed it on a poor pass, but it was definitely reachable for a pacy player.  Like I said, 3 years ago he would have had it easily.

And so it begins............................................................................................................

Daniel Sturridge after EFL Cup win over Burton: This is why I am unhappy at Liverpool DANIEL STURRIDGE has admitted he is unhappy at being played out of position by Liverpool and said his threat is blunted when moved from his favoured central role.
PUBLISHED: 22:30, Wed, Aug 24, 2016

In a spiky, if honest, appraisal, Sturridge voiced his frustration at how Jurgen Klopp has deployed him before vowing to do a “job for the team.” 

Sturridge was used on the right of a three man attack in last Saturday’s defeat at Burnley when Roberto Firmino took centre stage and introduced as a substitute initially in a wide role in the League Cup win over Burton on Tuesday with Divock Origi the main spearhead.

The England international plundered two goals in Liverpool’s 5-0 rout of the Championship side, but afterwards spoke of how the switch in position impacts on his game and claimed “everyone knows my best position.”

“Of course it is more difficult for me to play wide,” said Sturridge.

“I’m a centre forward. In the modern day game, you have to try and be flexible but everyone knows my best position. Everyone knows where I enjoy playing the most. I just have to do a job for the team.

“I’m a player who plays on instinct and in the middle I have clarity on movements and things that I have been doing for years. I am on autopilot there. You just do things because you are used to doing it. But when you are out wide, you have got to worry about different things. It’s just a different way.”

Sturridge said his role had not been explained to him - “No. No.” – and, when asked if he was happy in the position, added: “Well, I have to do a job for the team. That’s not saying I am happy to do it.

“That’s saying I have got to do a job for the team. It’s a team game. If I am put in that position, I have to play there.

“When you are playing in a position that you are not used to, it is different. The way you move, the way you play – it is all different. You can’t play the same as you do as a centre forward if you play wide.”

The comments are not unprecedented given James Milner said something similar about playing left-back during pre-season without eyebrows being raised.

Yet Sturridge will know his status means they will serve to whip up another frenzy surrounding his fortunes.

Klopp favours the team over the individual, although that is not to say that Sturridge will not be deployed through the middle in the future. 

Sturridge missed the opening game of the season, the 4-3 victory over Arsenal, when Liverpool chose to work on his fitness after a minor hip injury meant he was unable to take part in the final pre-season games.His chance against Burnley only arose following a shoulder injury sustained by Sadio Mane and such is the competition for places at Anfield that the return to fitness of the Senegal international saw Sturridge drop to the bench.

He added: “I’m like this whether I score or not. I’m fine. I’m fine. If I go over those white lines, it is important to give 100 per cent. I’m not making any complaints. That’s football.”

Meanwhile, French side Nice could offer Mario Balotelli as escape route from Anfield.

Balotelli is surplus to requirements, but agent Mino Raiola is trying to entice Nice into making the striker a contract offer.

Chinese and American investors recently bought 80% of the football club.

Now where have I heard that one before?

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/chelsea-didnt-believe-in-me-liverpools-daniel-sturridge-admits-hes-enjoying-playing-off-the-cuff-in-9106002.html

I was often asked to play in a different position and to do a job for the team but, having been a striker and then being asked to just flick a switch and play on the wing was always going to be difficult, because mentally you’re going to play the way you always have and I play on instinct.

If Sturridge wants to put his titty lip on, Ings will be ready to make the most of any opportunity that comes his way.   Obviously there's a bit of a gulf in class between the two (finishing wise), but Ings gets his head down and works for the team.

I can't see Klopp being too keen on Sturridge whinging to the press.

He's a cheeky twat

Does fuck all for two seasons then starts agitating right at the end of the window saying Klopp is playing him in the wrong position. Like a decent game against Burton fucking Albion wipes the slate clean.

Danny boy you're made of crisps , got no pace these days and the fire in your belly is a faintly glowing ember.

Get to fuck you fraud

• Upvote 2

There's any number of things going on here. Sturridge has found a way to stay fit and it's by not sprinting which makes him virtually no threat in behind defences. However as he showed the other night he's lethal in front of goal given time and space and while he's not our best player he's still our best goal scorer.

From Klopps perspective sturridge has maybe answered the question himself when he says he can play up front in his sleep now. He doesn't play the front role Klopp wants him to play and Origi and Firmino have often been chosen before. I think Klopp is saying to him if you want to play up front you have to work harder without the ball and just to show you, play out on the right and do the tracking back that playing there involves and see how hard you have to work in that role. You're not tracking back playing up front but should be working equally as hard closing people down etc. Also he might be trying to get him to run a bit faster and hopefully he can start sprinting a bit. He's never gonna be as quick as he was.

• Upvote 1

Can't blame Sturridge for wanting to play in his natural position.

He's still a top class player and getting rid does us no favours if we've no replacement. I think under Klopp he'll be played more as a super sub role.

With Mane on the right and Origi on the left to provide the well needed pace, Sturridge at CF would work out. If that means dropping one of the 4/10 players (Lallana, Coutinho or Firmino) then be it.

I'd like to see this side given a go.

keeper, back 4

Can, Hendo

Mane, Firmino/Coutinho, Origi

Sturridge

• Upvote 2

Can't blame Sturridge for wanting to play in his natural position.

He's still a top class player and getting rid does us no favours if we've no replacement. I think under Klopp he'll be played more as a super sub role.

With Mane on the right and Origi on the left to provide the well needed pace, Sturridge at CF would work out. If that means dropping one of the 4/10 players (Lallana, Coutinho or Firmino) then be it.

I'd like to see this side given a go.

keeper, back 4

Can, Hendo

Mane, Firmino/Coutinho, Origi

Sturridge

When the Wijnaldum transfer was announced I thought the plan would be largely along those lines except with Wijnaldum  instead of Origi on the left. 

I still think the best we ever saw from Coutinho was the Newcastle game at the end of the season when he and Sturridge first signed. He was sitting behind Sturridge and just totally pulling Newcastle apart. 

The only thing that really matters in all of this is that Sturridge seems to be a far poorer player when his starting position is a little wide of the central zone. He should play centrally, not because he wants to, but because we have better players than him in the those wider starting positions.

If we also have better players than him centrally - or players that are better able to play the system and style the manager wants - then he is not going to be starting many games this season. He only got a game at Burnley because of Mane's injury - which is pretty much the message that he should have received from how Klopp played him in that game. I get the feeling that his spikiness is not just at being started from a wider position, but also because the implication of this is that his manager thinks he has better options centrally. 

I don't think he has lost his pace I just think he's playing at 75% because he's afraid his legs will fall off. He's always been one to speak his mind and often coming across as sulky. It's all well and good when you're in a run of games and scoring regularly but as we all no these patches of regular games are becoming fewer and further between. Klopp is right not to trust him physically and drop him straight into the team in his favoured position. As good as he is he can't be relied upon. Shame as when he's fully firing he's up there with the best of them.

Tactically it shouldn't make a difference where he starts on a sheet of paper as, like we saw at Arsenal, in the final third if the rights sided forward player has the ball the left sided joins the striker in the centre and vice versa.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Jurgen Klopp has responded to Daniel Sturridge’s recent comments and does see his “flexible” option playing predominantly as a striker.

The England international revealed his unhappiness about where he was being asked to play following the EFL Cup win against Burton.

Klopp did not exactly welcome being questioned about the issue but did state that although he does plan to use Sturridge in a central position, he does want him to drift into other areas due to him being a flexible player.

“First of all, you have to think a little bit about why you ask things like this,” questioned Klopp. “I don’t want to play Daniel as a wide player, but he can play there. In the key moments he needs to be in the finishing position.

“But winger is not a fixed position, especially not in Daniel’s case. We still have to work on a lot of things. I don’t know exactly what he said but we have talks.

“It’s not like you play there and say wait until something happens. It’s flexible football.

“Daniel is a very smart player. He’s good at getting himself into positions where it’s not easy to defend.”

Coutinho played a lovely ball in behind to Sturridge on Saturday, a ball that Lucas would've reached, and the lazy bastard never broke out of a jog to reach it.

Don't think he trusts his legs anymore. One sprint and the hammy will go twang.

As a btw, Ings would do a great job as a wide forward. Would run and work all day for the team.

• Upvote 1

Coutinho played a lovely ball in behind to Sturridge on Saturday, a ball that Lucas would've reached, and the lazy bastard never broke out of a jog to reach it.

Don't think he trusts his legs anymore. One sprint and the hammy will go twang.

As a btw, Ings would do a great job as a wide forward. Would run and work all day for the team.

He was shite at it away to United last season.

I think we need to see ings play some games before we know what he's like.

He seems like a Klopp type player but he hasn't played him and there's a lot of talk about him leaving.

Fantastic player but just another whining millionaire blouse of a footballer. And to come out moaning to the press after one game being played in a slightly different position is an utter cunt's trick. Especially given his history of not really fancying it when he's twisted his sock. He fucking owes the club and the fans.

• Upvote 10