You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Daniel Sturridge - 2020

I think he's got this season. If he stumbles along with too many injuries we will sign a striker next summer, hopefully a top class one who will play CL football for us after we qualify.

Obviously if Sturridge stays fit enough and makes a good contribution then he will stay, as he is such a good player.

He has only played a full season once in his entire career. For whatever reason, he is not a durable player.

He wont give up his contract here, he wont get that money elsewhere, and playing doesn't bother him, so he is likely to be around for some time yet,

Which is why I like the idea of Lallana deeper in CM three, like he was against Barca.  He's got the energy for that role, he's good on the ball and he really impressed deeper vs Barca.

Hope he plays deeper when used this season.

I hope you have a high tolerance for him losing the ball in tackles constantly in positions where we can get picked off quickly, based on that Arsenal game.

• Upvote 1

I hope you have a high tolerance for him losing the ball in tackles constantly in positions where we can get picked off quickly, based on that Arsenal game.

He certainly wasn't as good vs Arsenal as he was vs Barca.

I wouldn't start him vs Burnley.

Let's see:

1. Lost possession, goal scored against (luckily for him it was down Moreno's side, so everyone ignored the fact he was directly at fault)

2. Scored a goal

3. Shit tackle leads to an Arsenal goal

So -1 for the day.

The free kick was off a Clyne foul.

Wor Adam also sent Mane through for his corker.

It makes good sense managing Sturridge's training and playing time. He can be a big match winner alongside Coutinho and also hopefully Mane as well now. He's not much worse than Origi and Ings for injuries here, and he's currently much better than Origi still imo, though slower and less powerful, so we'll have to pick his games.

We'd sell him easily in this market and the option has been there all this summer for Klopp and nowhere has it been suggested he wants to sell so am surprised if there's friction outside the everyday workings of a football team.

• Upvote 1

Sturridge will be really important when trying to break down teams who park the bus both home and away. Burnley at the weekend for instance.

Agreed. I think Sturridge will essentially become Klopp's plan b. Firmino or Origi will almost always start against the tougher sides with Sturridge coming off the bench, whilst Sturridge will get occasional starts against the West Brom's and Burnley's of the world. 

As an aside, here's a comment from ESPN explaining Klopp's thinking regarding our strikers:

http://www.espnfc.co.uk/video/espn-fc-tv/86/video/2930671/why-klopp-plays-firmino-up-front

“I was at the Liverpool v Barcelona game, and I spoke to their analyst, who was sitting next to me, and he was giving information down to Klopp throughout the game, so and I asked what are you looking for in your forwards?

“He said: The reason Firmino plays up front is because he’s the best closer down of the ball. Everything revolves around what we do when the opposition have the ball. We either play a total press, which Firmino is in the side to do – because he starts it off and everyone goes with him – Or we work out who’s the worst defender for the opposition and try to get the ball to him and then close him down.”

Sturridge wont stick around long as a plan B

If he asks for the move then it funny way it puts us in more control, as we can then name a fair price and not let him leave on the cheap.

I think we have one more season of Sturridge at Liverpool and then everything will be much clearer, one way or the other.