You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Daniel Sturridge - 2020

Origi was showing signs of becoming our top striker before Funes Mori hacked him down. Based on what I saw today, he's finding a new level and we should be more than fine up front. Firmino is also a handful, and now with pace bursting through, especially with Mane and also Wijnaldum, if we go with Firmino up top we will still be a threat.

It remains to be seen how bad the Sturridge injury is, but we are not reliant solely on him these days, so we'll be fine. My best guess is he will score 10-15 league goals next season, but Origi will be closer to 20 and will start to pull away from him as the top dog. Mane, Firmino and Coutinho will all weigh in with about 10 goals too, and there will be more goals from the midfield than before.

We'll be fine, and we are now more than equipped to cope with whatever happens with Sturridge's fitness.

Origi was showing signs of becoming our top striker before Funes Mori hacked him down. Based on what I saw today, he's finding a new level and we should be more than fine up front. Firmino is also a handful, and now with pace bursting through, especially with Mane and also Wijnaldum, if we go with Firmino up top we will still be a threat.

It remains to be seen how bad the Sturridge injury is, but we are not reliant solely on him these days, so we'll be fine. My best guess is he will score 10-15 league goals next season, but Origi will be closer to 20 and will start to pull away from him as the top dog. Mane, Firmino and Coutinho will all weigh in with about 10 goals too, and there will be more goals from the midfield than before.

We'll be fine, and we are now more than equipped to cope with whatever happens with Sturridge's fitness.

Get him off the wage bill-replace him with someone who will score goals and manage to play over 15 games.

Let someone else have the false dawns, lost hopes, deflating last minute injuries when you need him most

Get him off the wage bill-replace him with someone who will score goals and manage to play over 15 games.

Let someone else have the false dawns, lost hopes, deflating last minute injuries when you need him most

I can definitely see the temptation, and I was on that boat with Sturridge a while ago myself. Now I'm happy to see what this next season brings. I'm guessing we will get 30 appearances and 15 goals, with the appearances being a mixture of starts and coming off the bench. Klopp has persevered with him to try to build up some fitness, so hopefully we'll start to see some return.

If this next season sees him barely feature, obviously we should expect him to be shipped out, while hopefully we will have the budget to bring in a striker of similar quality. Right now, with the other options we have, we are in a better position to stick with him and see how it unfolds.

To be successful you also have to be ruthless.

It's time to be ruthless and plan for life without him. Whether that be a case of selling him or if he comes back from injury he's 2nd or 3rd choice because we've bought someone who can actually stay fit.

It's a shame because he's a tremendous finisher but everything points to the story of the last couple of years continuing. 

At some point you just have to say enough is enough and the club comes first. 92 appearances in 3 and a half seasons simply isn't acceptable.

To be successful you also have to be ruthless.

It's time to be ruthless and plan for life without him. Whether that be a case of selling him or if he comes back from injury he's 2nd or 3rd choice because we've bought someone who can actually stay fit.

It's a shame because he's a tremendous finisher but everything points to the story of the last couple of years continuing.

At some point you just have to say enough is enough and the club comes first. 92 appearances in 3 and a half seasons simply isn't acceptable.

Unfortunately he's still the best player we have. Let's hope Origi develops further this season, so that this conversation would become more legitimate come the end of the season.

Unfortunately he's still the best player we have. Let's hope Origi develops further this season, so that this conversation would become more legitimate come the end of the season.

I don't give a shit how talented he is. We'll never be successful if we are relying on a striker that never plays.

Given that he is supposedly on £120,000 per week after the contract he signed because of the 13/14 season he has cost us over 12 million and scored 18 goals for that over the last two seasons.

If that is acceptable then we may as well give up now as we will never get anywhere.

He's talented but doesn't play. Get rid.

Or sign someone to be first choice and then the onus is on Sturridge to get fit and force his way into the team and then try to stay there.

Instead we are penalising ourselves by pandering to him and hoping that he does something he's only managed for one season in his entire career and stays fit. 

I don't actively dislike him, but sometimes you have to just move on.

• Upvote 1

I don't give a shit how talented he is. We'll never be successful if we are relying on a striker that never plays.

Given that he is supposedly on £120,000 per week after the contract he signed because of the 13/14 season he has cost us over 12 million and scored 18 goals for that over the last two seasons.

If that is acceptable then we may as well give up now as we will never get anywhere.

Or sign someone to be first choice and then the onus is on Sturridge to get fit and force his way into the team and then try to stay there.

Instead we are penalising ourselves by pandering to him and hoping that he does something he's only managed for one season in his entire career and stays fit. 

I totally agree, your best striker is the one that plays games. We can't afford to have our supposedly first choice striker inured most of the time. I have been secretly hoping we sold him in the transfer window and just got ourselves someone that we could rely on. If we enter another season with this sick note again we will regret it. 

We did that last season. I'm guessing the reason we're not doing it this season is because Klopp sees enough in players already at the club, although it wouldn't be a big surprise to me should those plans go tits-up again when the season begins.

I propose we find someone who is actually good enough to replace him before attempting to move him on. I dont think we're in a position to be all choosey at the moment, given we're not very good.

• Upvote 1

The reason this is dead wrong is because even if he's only fit to start 15 games a season he'd still be easily worth those wages.  

He's already earned his fee back multiple times over, so that doesn't come into it.  He therefore costs us a total of £6m/year.  Expensive?  Sure, to a certain extent, but consider how much it would cost to replace him.

Let's say you wanted to make Origi first choice and then sell Sturridge and replace him with someone else as backup.  To replace a player who starts 15 games and scores 10 league goals/season you're going to need to spend big.  How big?  Probably at least £25m, seeing as even half-decent players are going for that any more.  

But let's say you get lucky and find someone for £18m.  That player would probably earn about £4m/year in wages, so you'd save £2/year over Sturridge's wages.  Then amortise the transfer fee over a 5 year deal and you'd have £3.6m/year.  So overall, swapping Sturridge for this unknown backup who you hope would be similar quality would cost an extra £1.6m/year.

And that's the worst case scenario for Sturridge.  If he does manage to stay fit by some miracle (and I think if he's carefully managed this season with no temptation to play him in Europe he has a good chance at this) he could start 20 games a year.  Give him another 5 off the bench, and then rest him for the rest.  He will score 15 league goals, minimum, given that kind of gametime.  

The problem with your whole theory is that Sturridge is still one of the best strikers in the league in terms of goals/minutes.  His minutes are a problem, sure, but when he's not in there, Origi is, so it's not a huge dropoff.  If someone came and offered us £45m for him then sure, you'd take it, but it would be foolishness to sell him for what someone would offer this summer.

• Upvote 3

His presense stops us from bringing in a top class centre forward.

We're never goomg to push on until we have him sold and someone realible brought in.

As it stands we're basically hoping Origi can step up to the plate right now, rather then being eased in and out as back up to a top class centre forwars.

• Upvote 1

I don't think we are reliant on him at all now we have Origi and Firmino.  To a lesser extent Ings.

• Upvote 1

I don't think we are reliant on him at all now we have Origi and Firmino.  To a lesser extent Ings.

If Origi kicks on which I really hope he does then yes. I think Ings is capable but he's had the best part of a year out so we have to be prepared for the fact he might not be quite up to it for a while. 

Origi has really only had a brief purple patch with us pre injury though so it's not a given. Although it's hard not to be optimistic about that as he looks like he has everything required to become extremely good which is a massive turnaround from his early games.