You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool (and massive sellout)

dennis tooth

Guest SweptChaos89

My main problem with Jordan is that he takes too much time on the ball and then ends up giving responsibility to somebody else...usually through a backwards pass. One thing I really don't understand is why he let's players run past him so easily, he used to actually stop people breaking between the lines. I miss 13/14 Henderson.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke

Henderson fills a home grown player spot, I can't see him going anywhere soon. 

If he remains club captain he'll be playing enough next season, if the captaincy is given to another player then he'll gradually become a squad stocking filler.

In a weird way Henderson is probably still worth a fair bit on the market, only 27 and we'd probably get anywhere between 25 -35 million depending on which window he was sold in. Could even be more due to the home grown player factor. 

I ask myself the same question today as when we bought him : what does he add to the team?

Henderson doesn't give us anything going forward; as Paulie said, his tardiness actually detracts from our attacking play. Defensively, Hendo doesn't shield our centrebacks, allows midfield runners to go past him, doesn't organise at all.

Sadly I come to the same conclusion today as I did when we first signed the lad; he runs about a lot and points. Nowhere near good enough imo.

Guest Pistonbroke

I ask myself the same question today as when we bought him : what does he add to the team?

Henderson doesn't give us anything going forward; as Paulie said, his tardiness actually detracts from our attacking play. Defensively, Hendo doesn't shield our centrebacks, allows midfield runners to go past him, doesn't organise at all.

Sadly I come to the same conclusion today as I did when we first signed the lad; he runs about a lot and points. Nowhere near good enough imo.

Hopefully the Toon will take him off our hands when they get money to burn. We'd have to sort out a like for like (but obviously far better) home grown player first, Ka-ching $$$$.....our owners will just keep him. 

The captaincy thing adds a layer of complication looking forward. Without that he’s a squad man, and how much he plays is down to form and rotation. But the captain can’t be a squad man. I know Klopp doesn’t see the role with the same level of importance, and it probably isn’t quite as important as most fans would have it. But it is still important! The captain embodies the club and should be a leader on that pitch. Hard to do that if you are a squad man.

So, let’s suppose the captaincy switches to another player. Let’s say we sign VVD and start afresh with it. However it happens, let’s imagine the captaincy goes to another player.

Where does that leave Henderson? I don’t see a precedent for losing the captaincy and remaining at a club, at least not in your peak footballing years.

He keeps the captaincy and stays, or he loses the captaincy and goes. That’s how I see it panning out. And the home grown factor may mean it will be the former, as unsatisfactory as that is. I just don’t see how he saves face and stays at the club if he loses the captaincy.

Hopefully the Toon will take him off our hands when they get money to burn. We'd have to sort out a like for like (but obviously far better) home grown player first, Ka-ching $$$$.....our owners will just keep him. 

For a man from the NE, G, and a positivist, that sounds a lot harsher on the chap than you are on others in our fold, normally. 

Or not.

Guest Pistonbroke

For a man from the NE, G, and a positivist, that sounds a lot harsher on the chap than you are on others in our fold, normally. 

Nah, Henderson is one of our senior players and club captain, he's stagnated and is on a fair wack wages wise. He's on the list of players I'd like to see moved on, quite a list it is to. Like I've said though, I wouldn't be surprised if him and Mingolet are still a major part of the starting 11 next season and Lovren and Moreno are still there but as squad players. 

Where does that leave Henderson? I don’t see a precedent for losing the captaincy and remaining at a club, at least not in your peak footballing years.

He keeps the captaincy and stays, or he loses the captaincy and goes. That’s how I see it panning out.

Not sure I agree, or even care, Rev.

Sami lost the captaincy to Stevie G, and Hyypia was a hell of a lot better player than Hendo could ever even dream of becoming.

If Henderson goes, he goes. I have no problem with that. Already I reckon Gomez could easily out perform him in that holding midfield role.

Henderson is fortunate he has a British passport, as Pistonbroke says, that might be his last best chance of remaining at Liverpool. No other club as big or as successful would look twice at him.

• Upvote 1

The Hyypia to Gerrard captaincy is a little bit different to be fair.

At the time Hyypia was much more deserving of the armband, and was devastated to lose it. But Houllier saw something special in Stevie and knew in time he'd grow into it and the extra responsibility would make him a better player in the long run.

It's a bit different to taking it off Hendo and giving it to somebody like VVD who isn't even a Liverpool player yet.

I'd agree with the decision don't get me wrong, hendo is useless, I'd rather it went to probably 9 out of the current starting 11, but I do think it would make his position untenable if it was taken from him. Could anyone imagine being demoted by your boss and then your position is given to a completely new employee who you are now supposed to treat as a superior?

Just sell the cunt, I reckon his stock is fairly high being English and that.

I had the pleasure of sitting next to Alan Kennedy a few years back to watch a Derby game and he did nothing but rant about Hendo all throughout the game. Didn't like him in the side at all. He pointed out things to me that I wouldn't have noticed before - positioning, awareness etc. He called him a "steady eddie". I told him he was just really fuckin shite.

True story.

• Upvote 2

It wasn't a great shot but the ball was too close to him. Needed to get it out of his feet and he ended up rushing his shot.

He played well yesterday; he is just becoming a scapegoat for any indifferent result we get.

He had an identical shot early in the game. Also weak and about 10 yards over the bar.

He hasn’t scored at Anfield in two years I read somewhere. May have been league only, but still.

He offers far too little going forward and also isn’t a real defensive midfielder. Does ok in the games where we have to try to unsettle a superior opponent, but those are becoming rare occasions now.

Not a bad player, but also not good enough to remains first choice here.

Not sure I agree, or even care, Rev.

Sami lost the captaincy to Stevie G, and Hyypia was a hell of a lot better player than Hendo could ever even dream of becoming.

If Henderson goes, he goes. I have no problem with that. Already I reckon Gomez could easily out perform him in that holding midfield role.

Henderson is fortunate he has a British passport, as Pistonbroke says, that might be his last best chance of remaining at Liverpool. No other club as big or as successful would look twice at him.

True, and it can be said of most of our midfield and defence.

Tardiness? He looks like he’d be first to arrive to every session!!

• Paul changed the title to Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool
  • dave u changed the title to Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool (and massive sellout)