You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coffee

Oh Buoy

On 07/07/2020 at 18:49, PestiRed said:

Anyone else vaguely addicted to watching James Hoffman on YouTube? I find his reviews unbelievably relaxing to watch

I'd never heard of the cunt a week ago, I'm now addicted to his videos. Cheers.

I now feel that my home coffee game is woefully inadequate and am considering spending my entire savings on a grinder and espresso machine. Fucks sake.

• Upvote 2

Generally find that we don’t use the espresso machine anymore. At home, I like a bit of volume to my coffee and we rarely drink cappuccino or latte due to trying not to be fat. 

Aeropress gets used a lot and I’m thinking of trying out V60, especially as it seems cheap to set up. Unfortunately a decent grinder is still essential but I’ve already laid out the money for that

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Welsh said:

I've got a Teka coffee machine in my kitchen that the missus needed to have and neither of us have a clue how to work it!

Tried all sorts of videos on the internet but can't get my head around it which is a shame.

Is there a child or young person you can ask for advice?

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Karl_b said:

I'd never heard of the cunt a week ago, I'm now addicted to his videos. Cheers.

I now feel that my home coffee game is woefully inadequate and am considering spending my entire savings on a grinder and espresso machine. Fucks sake.

Stick to the Grolsch lad.

10 hours ago, PestiRed said:

Generally find that we don’t use the espresso machine anymore. At home, I like a bit of volume to my coffee and we rarely drink cappuccino or latte due to trying not to be fat. 

Aeropress gets used a lot and I’m thinking of trying out V60, especially as it seems cheap to set up. Unfortunately a decent grinder is still essential but I’ve already laid out the money for that

I'm also considering a V60, a barista friend of mine swears by his. I think 5 methods for making coffee with be sufficient, for now.

4 hours ago, Numero said:

I’ve been looking at the Oracle Touch. It’s pricy but would give me the best results I could ever get at home. Plus, it would look boss in the kitchen, which is what really counts. 

Too much shit on kitchen counters already, including the Gaggia which barely gets used (my fault), the bread machine that the missus said would stop us ever buying bread again (I’ve just stopped eating bread which kind of works) and the fucking ancient juicing machine that’s the size of a football pitch which I haven’t seen used for over ten years but can’t be put away because it’s sentimental

The Oracle Touch does look nice though

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, PestiRed said:

Too much shit on kitchen counters already, including the Gaggia which barely gets used (my fault), the bread machine that the missus said would stop us ever buying bread again (I’ve just stopped eating bread which kind of works) and the fucking ancient juicing machine that’s the size of a football pitch which I haven’t seen used for over ten years but can’t be put away because it’s sentimental

The Oracle Touch does look nice though

Yeah, there’s a video that I wanted to post but can’t find it. 

On 07/07/2020 at 22:32, Tony Moanero said:

Years ago, I popped round to see my nan.

”Fancy a cup of coffee, lad? I’ve got some posh stuff in”

”Yeah, sound, go on then”

She disappeared into the kitchen, came back a few minutes later and handed me a cup of boiling water and Coffee Mate, just water and Coffee Mate, no coffee!

Still better than Mellow Birds, Tone 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, PestiRed said:

He seemed to like it for people that don’t have amazing barista skills. Two grand though - that’s a lot of coffees before you get your money back, you’d need to be constantly wired for a couple of years

From a lot of the other reviews, which are generally more favourable than his the general consensus is that it is going to make you a better coffee than  all but the very best places which have £30K machines and superb baristas. Even then, they say that if the barista isn’t that good, you’d probably still get a better coffee from that. Now, not wanting to become a barista, or give a fuck about my tamping consistency, i just like a nice coffee so it seems like the perfect upgrade to my not terrible but not great nesspresso one. 

• 5 weeks later...

After watching a Hoffman video (which I am massively addicted to thanks to you twats) I made an espresso tonic and just like him I was sceptical at first but it's really nice and refreshing. It's what I am looking for but don't quite get when I want an iced coffee. 

In his video he makes his own tonic and while I commend his attention to details and search for perfection, I couldn't be arsed. I did superchill my tonic, glass and coffee though. 

According to him and some other videos I watched, good quality tonic and lighter roast beans are key. I only had dark roast but it still works.

On 16/07/2020 at 14:49, Nummer Neunzehn said:

Nope, here it is for the non touch version. 

I spoiled myself a few months ago and purchased one of these for myself. There's a decent coffee roaster in Birkenhead (by Birkenhead central) that I get my fresh beans from. Bit of a learning curve from my previous bean to cup and initially I thought the purchase was a mistake. Once I got used to it, it makes perfect coffee. 

26 minutes ago, Remmie said:

After watching a Hoffman video (which I am massively addicted to thanks to you twats) I made an espresso tonic and just like him I was sceptical at first but it's really nice and refreshing. It's what I am looking for but don't quite get when I want an iced coffee. 

In his video he makes his own tonic and while I commend his attention to details and search for perfection, I couldn't be arsed. I did superchill my tonic, glass and coffee though. 

According to him and some other videos I watched, good quality tonic and lighter roast beans are key. I only had dark roast but it still works.

can you watch the new cocktail one and get back to me with results? Cheers

1 hour ago, Чемпионы said:

I spoiled myself a few months ago and purchased one of these for myself. There's a decent coffee roaster in Birkenhead (by Birkenhead central) that I get my fresh beans from. Bit of a learning curve from my previous bean to cup and initially I thought the purchase was a mistake. Once I got used to it, it makes perfect coffee. 

No shit? The touch one or the other one? They’re both awesome. I’ve been seriously considering it. Just got a few other bits around the house, so I’m in one of those ‘fuck it, you’ve already spent loads, you might as well...’ moods. I thought that was a really easy one to use though?

3 hours ago, Nummer Neunzehn said:

No shit? The touch one or the other one? They’re both awesome. I’ve been seriously considering it. Just got a few other bits around the house, so I’m in one of those ‘fuck it, you’ve already spent loads, you might as well...’ moods. I thought that was a really easy one to use though?

The touch was too expensive, I went for the non touch black Oracle from John Lewis as it was a decent price, albeit still damned expensive. 

It's generally very very easy to use, the learning curve is with the beans and the grind. I wasted a lot either too fine or too coarse. It munches through 22g of beans a time so mistakes are costly. I don't know if it's settled with use but I only need to adjust the grind small amounts now. 

I've recently changed to using the provided single basket, which fills to about 14g of ground coffee. Coffee snobs would be criticising me for this but I don't mind. 

Screenshot-2020-08-15-at-00-13-36.png

• Upvote 6

14 hours ago, Чемпионы said:

The touch was too expensive, I went for the non touch black Oracle from John Lewis as it was a decent price, albeit still damned expensive. 

It's generally very very easy to use, the learning curve is with the beans and the grind. I wasted a lot either too fine or too coarse. It munches through 22g of beans a time so mistakes are costly. I don't know if it's settled with use but I only need to adjust the grind small amounts now. 

I've recently changed to using the provided single basket, which fills to about 14g of ground coffee. Coffee snobs would be criticising me for this but I don't mind. 

Screenshot-2020-08-15-at-00-13-36.png

This video gives great tips on perfecting your grind... 

1 hour ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

This video gives great tips on perfecting your grind... 

Thanks, I’ve perfected it now. I can actually see the flow and colour so I know if I need to dial it up or down. I watched a fair few coffee nerds with their scales and what not. 

I think it’s easier for me as I tend to have either a latte or an Americano with cream. I’ve tried an espresso and I’d dialled it in so there was no bitter taste, not for me though as I don’t enjoy my coffee like that. The milk or cream definitely covers up a poor extraction.