You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coffee

Oh Buoy

I find African coffee most to my taste, mostly Ethiopian, Harar single bean. I grind it myself, if you can buy a fresh and well done roast, nothing can beat it at that price range. I wish I knew how to roast it myself and had the time, I find that a fresh roast of a pretty average coffee beats slightly stale superior kind.

Have some friends working in Addis Ababa and they bring me Tomoco back every few months - very good stuff

• Upvote 1

I need a cheap method of making a decent cup at work, only facilities are a hot water dispenser and a microwave so a moka pot is out.

Any sub £30 machine es worth getting?

An Aeropress. No doubt about it.

I need a cheap method of making a decent cup at work, only facilities are a hot water dispenser and a microwave so a moka pot is out.

Have you tried coffee bags? I'm sure I'll get stick for this but they're not bad, just below cafetiere level I'd say. Lyons and Taylors do ones available in Sainsburys. I'd never use them at home but they're okay for work or for going away somewhere you're only likely to get instant.

I find African coffee most to my taste, mostly Ethiopian, Harar single bean. I grind it myself, if you can buy a fresh and well done roast, nothing can beat it at that price range. I wish I knew how to roast it myself and had the time, I find that a fresh roast of a pretty average coffee beats slightly stale superior kind.

Keep an eye out for a popcorn popper at your local charity shop. Chuck the plastic thing on the top in the garbage and get a tin cần of the same size as the barrel thing (if you can find the right size, the glass from an old style hurricane lamp is even better). Put 250g  green beans in and switch it on. Agitate it and after a while chaff will start coming out. The beans will start making a cracking sound. This is called first crack. When the coffee looks about the right colour tip the coffee into a colander or similar. When it is cool put it in a jar and leave it 24 hours to let the roasting gases finish coming off.

The hard part is getting hold of the green beans - try ebay.there are small home roasters about but try this first it will teach you lots about the roasting process.

There used to be an American site called sweetmaruas that gave shit loads of info but I don't know if they are still around and I can't be arsed looking. Or just Google popcorn coffee roaster.

• Upvote 2

Keep an eye out for a popcorn popper at your local charity shop. Chuck the plastic thing on the top in the garbage and get a tin cần of the same size as the barrel thing (if you can find the right size, the glass from an old style hurricane lamp is even better). Put 250g  green beans in and switch it on. Agitate it and after a while chaff will start coming out. The beans will start making a cracking sound. This is called first crack. When the coffee looks about the right colour tip the coffee into a colander or similar. When it is cool put it in a jar and leave it 24 hours to let the roasting gases finish coming off.

The hard part is getting hold of the green beans - try ebay.there are small home roasters about but try this first it will teach you lots about the roasting process.

There used to be an American site called sweetmaruas that gave shit loads of info but I don't know if they are still around and I can't be arsed looking. Or just Google popcorn coffee roaster.

Thanks. I seem to remember that site, as my friend used to buy green beans over the Internet, he bought a roaster too and spent a lot of time learning, through trial and error style process. When he did get it right, the fresh roast was divine. He preferred American coffees though, unfortunately, but still. He also had much more time than me. We drifted a part later, might give him a call and see if he is still active. 

Buy something that looks like this (this particular one is an expensive one!)

https://www.koffiecentrale.nl/hario-v60-dripper-acryl-white-02?gclid=CjwKCAjw8r_XBRBkEiwAjWGLlJ_t41OMI-i1Sfkcxjfvic9Mrd1PlA_i8QdPpMUZFSb86SkdjPpbihoCcA4QAvD_BwE

Stick a brown paper filter in it and a dessert spoon of ground coffee. Add hot water.

It drips through faster than it takes to wait for a teabag. Dirt cheap. Nice coffee.

• Upvote 1

Keep an eye out for a popcorn popper at your local charity shop. Chuck the plastic thing on the top in the garbage and get a tin cần of the same size as the barrel thing (if you can find the right size, the glass from an old style hurricane lamp is even better). Put 250g green beans in and switch it on. Agitate it and after a while chaff will start coming out. The beans will start making a cracking sound. This is called first crack. When the coffee looks about the right colour tip the coffee into a colander or similar. When it is cool put it in a jar and leave it 24 hours to let the roasting gases finish coming off.

If I can't find green beans, would peas do?

Went to one of these poncey artisan coffee shops in town the other day. I asked if they had any coffee were the beans had been eaten by small monkeys then shat out only to be collected by loin cloth wearing Amazon tribesman, who were in turn forced to collect said beans by unscrupulous coffee dealers and paid only in cheap beads. The lady behind the counter looked at me perplexed and said " no".

Fuck that. So off I sped to Asda as they had a Kenco Millicano on offer for £4. Sometimes less is more.

I didn’t think they do Luwak coffee in the Amazon.

If you live in Liverpool, I highly recommend going to Bold Street Coffee. They do very good espresso based coffee.

An Aeropress. No doubt about it.

Aeropress is great.

I bought myself one of these a while back - Cafflano. It's a good product and I've used it plenty of times on my travels and in work.

It is however just over double your budget, but there are cheaper products of the same ilk, including this one by ZenCT that should do the trick for you, especially if you like to use freshly ground beans. (I've not tried the ZenCT, but it has some pretty decent reviews over on Amazon).

I’ve swerved coffee. Was making me feel weird. Every time I had a cup I felt amazing for about an hour then for the rest of the day feeling like I’ve got ADHD. Was pissing loads as well. Not sure it works well for me.

• 8 months later...

Primarni in town are doing glass travel mugs that are like those Keep Cups for £6 for 12oz, then goes up by £2 for the larger ones. They come in the cork style too (like below) but with a silicone lid that seems to grip well. Picked up two earlier and they seem fairly decent quality. 

Just as a reference the Keep Cup ones are on Amazon for £20 (B00PC9UZY0B00PC9UZY0https://www.amazon.co.uk/KeepCup-BFIL12-Brew-Medium-Filter/dp/B00PC9UZY0)

61NQQYyqsuL._SX450_.jpg

1 minute ago, Istvan Kosma said:

The missus or ex as things are at the minute swears by this stuff and has ditched her almond milk to this stuff, she gets the one in a blue cartoon as I got her a different coloured one and she flipped so guessing the colour matters

The colours just mean different products, in the same way you get different types of milk. The blue one is the standard, the grey one is the 'barrista' stuff, and what I swear by, and they've just started doing a range of "semi-skimmed" and "whole" milk which more closely resemble the cow's milk products we're all used to. It's way better than any other non-dairy milk and, coincidentally, has the lowest carbon footprint of any milk/milk alternative. One day this'll be the norm, not dairy.

• 1 year later...