You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Would you keep Rodgers at the end of the season?

Boss

Should Rodgers stay in those circumstances?  

131 members have voted

1. 1. Should Rodgers stay in those circumstances?

• Yes- It's clear to see he's on the right path and just needs more time.
    • Yes- It was the transfer commitee that fucked us.
    • Yes- As long as that fake scouser and FSG's yesmen fuck off instead
    • No- He jibbed his wife off so he doesn't practise what he preaches
    • No- He's had enough time and his signings haven't been good enough
    • No- I'm fed up of seeing 5 at the back and Adam Lallana Cruyff turns.
    • Other - Ie stop being a negative cunt....

I'd agree, he's been very well backed by comparison however, and given that it's then very worrying how far backwards we've lurched since last season's excellent effort.

21%2BLiverpool%2BPlayer%2BTrading%2B2014

It's less worrying if you understand that last season was a massive over performance from everyone, not a benchmark, that the club is looking at a long term strategy with much of that net spend and that progress isn't linear.

Still concerning, just not the end of the world.

Klopp who has the ability to attract names like Rommel and Guderian to take the core Rodgers has built forward?

Definitely give us the drive needed in midfield. We could take Europe by storm.

Just hope we dont draw those pesky Soviets in the winter months

You watch a lot of football - does winning the Bundesliga effectively mean being better than Bayern Munich?

The German Cup, well Rodgers could have the FA Cup this year.

The CL runners-up, well Rodgers has last year to match that.

He probably has about six years on Klopp, too.

I don't watch a huge amount of German football, but I think it would probably be a little disingenuous to conclude that the league lacks depth.

The comparisons you've made are a bit straw clutching, for me. Klopp got to a European Cup final, Rodgers has been appalling in European competition. Winning a cup doesn't really deserve equal billing to being in a semi final.

Any comparison between the two managers really doesn't further Rodgers' cause. As someone that clearly has a lot of faith in Rodgers, I think you'll be happy because I can't see Klopp coming here. He'll get better offers.

We've definately improved, it's a question of whether Rodgers reign will go backwards from this point onwards or not. Ged had a few good years then slowly declined, Rafa lost it in his final year. Would the club be better off looking to upgrade now with someone like Klopp who has the ability to attract names like Hummels and Gundogen to take the core Rodgers has built forward? Or would it be better to stick by Rodgers in the hope that this is just the start of a long tenure at the helm?

The worst possible scenario though is the club stubbornly backing Rodgers only for us to take a nosedive next season and end up having to bite the bullet which would lead us right back to square one.

Which year is year zero here? Hodgson i presume.

Cos we've not improved since Rafas days here.

No chance.

• Upvote 4

I don't watch a huge amount of German football, but I think it would probably be a little disingenuous to conclude that the league lacks depth.

The comparisons you've made are a bit straw clutching, for me. Klopp got to a European Cup final, Rodgers has been appalling in European competition. Winning a cup doesn't really deserve equal billing to being in a semi final.

Any comparison between the two managers really doesn't further Rodgers' cause. As someone that clearly has a lot of faith in Rodgers, I think you'll be happy because I can't see Klopp coming here. He'll get better offers.

All fair points.

I'm not blind to Rodgers but, yes, I would like him to get another year.

Getting rid of a manager the players are behind would be silly buggers unless the owners know someone like Klopp is willing to come and they backed him fully. If they sacked Rodgers, FA cup or not and held an interview process I wouldn't be impressed. That isn't long term planning. 

All fair points.

I'm not blind to Rodgers but, yes, I would like him to get another year.

I think I probably would too, although quite a big part of that is because I have no faith in the owners ability to select his replacement, nor do I think much changes until they fuck off their ridiculous transfer policy anyway.

My fear is that we waste next season. We give Rodgers another year, he (along with the rest of the committee) spunk another £100m or so on shite, and all hope for the season is gone in November.

Also, as expectations have been successfully lowered from title challenge to top four to challenging for the top four what actually represents a shit enough season to sack him? It seems reasonably likely that we're going to finish between 5th-7th this season, probably at least half a dozen points off fourth. Does it qualify as a challenge for the top four? So, what if it's the same again next year? 

I just find it all so depressing. I understand the game, and our standing within it, has changed sufficiently that "2nd is nowhere" probably needs a little leeway, but I do think the club has gone too far the other way. The attitude makes it's way to the players, and I think we really do have a squad full of soft, vastly inexperienced, losers. We're not forced to have a squad full of soft, vastly inexperienced, losers. We could spend exactly the same amount of money on transfers and wages and have a few winners in the squad. Anyway, my post is even starting to annoy me, so I'm off to watch the cricket.

• Upvote 5

I think I probably would too, although quite a big part of that is because I have no faith in the owners ability to select his replacement, nor do I think much changes until they fuck off their ridiculous transfer policy anyway.

My fear is that we waste next season. We give Rodgers another year, he (along with the rest of the committee) spunk another £100m or so on shite, and all hope for the season is gone in November.

Also, as expectations have been successfully lowered from title challenge to top four to challenging for the top four what actually represents a shit enough season to sack him? It seems reasonably likely that we're going to finish between 5th-7th this season, probably at least half a dozen points off fourth. Does it qualify as a challenge for the top four? So, what if it's the same again next year? 

I just find it all so depressing. I understand the game, and our standing within it, has changed sufficiently that "2nd is nowhere" probably needs a little leeway, but I do think the club has gone too far the other way. The attitude makes it's way to the players, and I think we really do have a squad full of soft, vastly inexperienced, losers. We're not forced to have a squad full of soft, vastly inexperienced, losers. We could spend exactly the same amount of money on transfers and wages and have a few winners in the squad. Anyway, my post is even starting to annoy me, so I'm off to watch the cricket.

Yeah, one could take the view (and it is a bit of a leap of faith) that the first three months of this season were such an abomination because of all the new signings and we are unlikely to see it happen again next year.  Granted we're probably not likely to go on a run in the middle of the season like we did this year either.

Oh I don't fucking know any more.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, one could take the view (and it is a bit of a leap of faith) that the first three months of this season were such an abomination because of all the new signings and we are unlikely to see it happen again next year.  Granted we're probably not likely to go on a run in the middle of the season like we did this year either.

Oh I don't fucking know any more.

This perfectly encapsulates my view. I despise almost every facet of the sport.

I would like him to get another year.

And I think he will get that.

Next year will see the bride stripped bare. Brendan has systematically dispensed with all the old heads, the ones with more PL and Euro experience, like Reina, Agger, Carra and finally Gerrard. So the team will be Brendan's Men.

We will also be entering a (an unnecessary) period of stadium disruption which historically can affect the home team's results. FSG may reflect that there is even more cause to minimise disruption by a management change.

And for punching Andy Burton between the eyes with a lot of force, obviously.

He's almost so tragic that he elicits some undeserved sympathy from me. I mean, just fucking look at the gimp.

I would, however, start with a roll call like Joe Kinnear did. "Pete, from the Express" "Yes?" "You're a cunt".

I'd find it very difficult to avoid talking candidly about referees, other managers, players, the FA, the Premier League, UEFA, Fifa, and of course our media.

I'd probably just prepare an hour long verbal assault and then end it by resigning.

• Upvote 2

If Rodgers were to get good money to spend in the summer and we were nowhere near top 4 next year which is what happened under Kenny he should be sacked.

This season seeing as we are not far off fourth despite having a nightmare start and problems most teams and managers would have struggled with his position shouldn't be questioned.

I don't think expectations have been lowered and I have heard nothing from Rodgers or the owners which suggests this.

Rodgers has publicly stated he expects a title challenge next season and the owners sacked Kenny when he was getting nowhere near their targets.

Unless people are saying Rodgers should have been sacked in his first season which would have made no sense then I don't see how they have been lenient with him.