You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Would you keep Rodgers at the end of the season?

Boss

Should Rodgers stay in those circumstances?  

131 members have voted

1. 1. Should Rodgers stay in those circumstances?

• Yes- It's clear to see he's on the right path and just needs more time.
    • Yes- It was the transfer commitee that fucked us.
    • Yes- As long as that fake scouser and FSG's yesmen fuck off instead
    • No- He jibbed his wife off so he doesn't practise what he preaches
    • No- He's had enough time and his signings haven't been good enough
    • No- I'm fed up of seeing 5 at the back and Adam Lallana Cruyff turns.
    • Other - Ie stop being a negative cunt....

Not now. I think Arsenal of anything between two and eight years ago.

The signings of Ozil and Sanchez have signalled something of a change. Borderline world class players, in their mid 20s, on big wages, signed for big transfer fees. They weren't doing that a few years ago, they were selling their best players every season. Man City and Barcelona's feeder club.

It is a bit odd that some don't seem to have noticed the difference in Arsenal from the time period you state there, when weighing up their advantage over us, not so much in competition for trophies just yet, but very much so for attracting players. 

Obviously the former is just going to get worse as the latter continues, especially if they were to win the FA Cup this season as well (which is far from a foregone conclusion, despite the other week's depressing rout).

I would firmly expect the majority of players given the choice of both to look at Arsenal ahead of us even if we were in the CL next year. 

Didn't think I wasn't, and yes, I know why things changed.

But the period of not winning, of not even trying to win anything, whilst they paid for the stadium isn't something I think many would find palatable here. I'd fucking hope not anyway.

I think the last ten seasons we've been in the CL about half the time (mostly not in the last five). Arsenal have been in every year. Looking back it's easier to say they weren't trying to win, but their 'lean' years of qualifying for the CL every season would represent an uptick on most of the past decade for us. Istanbul notwithstanding as the major outlier (though I think Arsenal got to a CL final in their lean years too?)

I think the last ten seasons we've been in the CL about half the time (mostly not in the last five). Arsenal have been in every year. Looking back it's easier to say they weren't trying to win, but their 'lean' years of qualifying for the CL every season would represent an uptick on most of the past decade for us. Istanbul notwithstanding as the major outlier (though I think Arsenal got to a CL final in their lean years too?)

Er, I wouldn't really disagree with that, but I don't think that us being shit in that period is evidence against the notion that Arsenal didn't really try and win anything in that period. They had a good enough manager to sneak into the top four every year, that was more than enough for the money men at the top. The fans were kept happy (enough) by virtue of being tedious, clueless, snobs, all the time paying more for tickets than anyone else on the planet.

I still don't see them as being anything to aspire towards. Wenger's lack of pride is quite embarrassing actually. From being a manager that build some of the best teams in the world, winning trophies every season, to having to apologise every March, and then celebrate 4th every May. It's not something that, for example, I think Benitez or Dalglish would be comfortable doing. I think their desire to win stuff would have meant they'd have a serious problem with the direction of the club.

It doesn't take that much money to sign the right players to win stuff, you have to obviously sign the right ones but more importantly, for those on a lesser budget, you just have to make sure you keep the shit signings to a minimum. That's where we have fucked ourselves. 

Aspas, Llori, Alberto, Lovren = money to sign someone very good. 

Llallanana, Balotelli savalas, Lambo, italian kid who never gets a game = money to sign someone very, very good

Suarex money + all the above = money to sign someone fucking awesome.

We do it to ourselves, and that's the worst part.  

• Downvote 1

They had a good enough manager to sneak into the top four every year, that was more than enough for the money men at the top

Good enough? A manager who lost more than a few of his best players to richer clubs, bought wisely and managed to get his team in the CL for 15 straight years, in which the financial constraints of building a new stadium held him back considerably.

He's no Brendan Rodgers, mind, but not bad that.

Good enough? A manager who lost more than a few of his best players to richer clubs, bought wisely and managed to get his team in the CL for 15 straight years, in which the financial constraints of building a new stadium held him back considerably.

He's no Brendan Rodgers, mind, but not bad that.

Yes, so, good enough. Let's not pretend it was some impossible task though. No other manager of a similar sized club would have had a period of absolutely zero pressure of losing his job nor any pressure to win anything at all.

Your last line, if any way aimed at me, is way off. He's obviously a much better manager than Rodgers. I'm not suggesting otherwise.

That was'nt  pop at you personally by the way, just that general statement.

I think you would be surprised how many managers would be tempted if we offered a fair wage for a manager of that pedigree.

Restoring this club to its place at the top of the pile. A lot of managers would love that on their C.V.

Backed by the most vocal and passionate crowd in the country.

But as for the question you posed. We wont go toe to toe with city for a manager because the owners objectives are different to Man City's

To be honest I remember the same thing said when Benitez went. I dont think managers would look at us and would be happy to take on the project. We're more attractive than we were then. it's a great idea in theory but Im not convinced we're that attractive the way the club is run and the position it's in.

Any comparisons with Arsenal are tenuous.

Wenger, on appointment, had ten years managerial experience behind him, and he was a league title winner both as a player, and manager.

Their Board had first funded a part new/part old stadium redevelopment via an innovative bond scheme, and then, when they realised that redevelopment wasn't enough. invested in a new stadium, an investment that required short term financial prudence but offers long term rewards. Just what you want from a Board.

FSG have failed to offer the same commitment to a high quality manager, or our long term stadium needs.

Brendan continues to fit for FSG, doing well enough on the pitch compared to what he is up against, without the prospect of any Rafaesque/Maureenish managerial moaning.

Brendan continues to fit for FSG, doing well enough on the pitch compared to what he is up against, without the prospect of any Rafaesque/Maureenish managerial moaning.

But will that change? Rodgers has already given one interview regarding an inability to competenin the last month or so. Will there come a point where he thinks he can no longer operate with - as he may see it - one hand tied behind his back?

But will that change? Rodgers has already given one interview regarding an inability to competenin the last month or so. Will there come a point where he thinks he can no longer operate with - as he may see it - one hand tied behind his back?

Well if he has got any real problems they should start with the transfer committee that some seem to think foist shit players on him against his will, that's if infact its not bollocks and he does have the final word as he has said in the past, maybe then we could put all the excusing of our bang average transfer policy to bed.

When you rate Lovren as a leader and Borini as an edge of the seat player, even with a clear reign over transfers, its bound to go tits up.

To be honest I remember the same thing said when Benitez went. I dont think managers would look at us and would be happy to take on the project. We're more attractive than we were then. it's a great idea in theory but Im not convinced we're that attractive the way the club is run and the position it's in.

Hang on when Benitez was foolishly sacked without having someone decent lined up the club was a fucking mess, was it really a surprise we ended up with super Roy to 'steady the ship' with the likes of Cecil running the hunt, most people who didn't hate Rafas guts could see exactly what was going to happen. Let's not pretend we didn't get a decent manager because of anything other then the circumstances around the club at that time.

• Upvote 3

But will that change? Rodgers has already given one interview regarding an inability to compete in the last month or so. Will there come a point where he thinks he can no longer operate with - as he may see it - one hand tied behind his back?

Will Brendan jump first? I doubt it. I can't see him being offered an opportunity better than ours.

His lack of Euro experience and poor record when he has competed will count against him. Only Real Madrid, Barca, Bayern and PSG in continental Europe have higher incomes than us, yet his record has been unimpressive.

It's difficult to see what leverage he has. Replacing him with a man of similar (in) experience would be our easiest ever appointment.

Only Real Madrid, Barca, Bayern and PSG in continental Europe have higher incomes than us, yet his record has been unimpressive.

So no man city, chelsea, arsenal and man utd mentioned because? Any reason you restricted it to mainland Europe and not the UK as well?

Also with a pre tax profit of around 90 million and a post tax profit of about half a million. It's a little disingenuous to be using income as a barometer for success.

But then you knew that.

His lack of Euro experience and poor record when he has competed will count against him. Only Real Madrid, Barca, Bayern and PSG in continental Europe have higher incomes than us, yet his record has been unimpressive.

What's the relevance of our income to Rodgers, xerxes?

When you rate Lovren as a leader and Borini as an edge of the seat player, even with a clear reign over transfers, its bound to go tits up.

They all get it wrong. If you're expecting a manager who doesn't get things wrong in the transfer market, walk away from it all now.

• Upvote 2

How much of the £210ml+ has been well spent?

There is no definitive answer to that is there? I'd proffer a figure and you'd (for example) halve it.

For the position we're in, yes, the spending hasn't been good enough but it's still probably as good as the Manc clubs.

They all get it wrong. If you're expecting a manager who doesn't get things wrong in the transfer market, walk away from it all now.

There's being wrong and there's being consistently wrong. Everyone has an Aqualani in them, its the nature of the job and you can forgive that. But to have a number of Aqualanis every summer is a bit much.

You will be glad to know that one of my internal organs is now fully functional and working.

Certainly must be your bladder now fully functional? Hopefully it will help flush out that massive build of shite you have inside you so it doesn't land on screen here.