You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Would you keep Rodgers at the end of the season?

Boss

Should Rodgers stay in those circumstances?  

131 members have voted

1. 1. Should Rodgers stay in those circumstances?

• Yes- It's clear to see he's on the right path and just needs more time.
    • Yes- It was the transfer commitee that fucked us.
    • Yes- As long as that fake scouser and FSG's yesmen fuck off instead
    • No- He jibbed his wife off so he doesn't practise what he preaches
    • No- He's had enough time and his signings haven't been good enough
    • No- I'm fed up of seeing 5 at the back and Adam Lallana Cruyff turns.
    • Other - Ie stop being a negative cunt....

How attractive we are as a club depends on the manager I suppose. I imagine a coach who's used to spending big wouldn't fancy it, but there's two polar opposites who would, young coaches who're looking to make a name for themselves, and experienced ones who've been there and bought the T-shirt. 

Someone like Ancelotti has got nothing to prove, he's won it all, why wouldn't he want a crack at getting the old girl up and running again? 

I don't think I'm naive at all and don't think I'm unrealistic about how we're preceived, I just think like a football fan. 

When I loved watching Italian footy in the 90s there was a couple of seasons where Milan were absolute shite, they finished like 10th and 11th or something, but you didn't care, it was still Milan. They were never a laughing stock, if they were on telly you'd still watch them, if you found out a new manager or a player from England was going there you'd be excited to see how they'd do and see if they could turn things around. 

Great clubs are great clubs, people will always want to see great clubs in big competitions and people will always want to be associated with them, just because there's certain players who don't that won't change anything, footy has always been full of money grabbing bastards - especially in England. 

I don't doubt for one minute that, if the offer was right, we could attract someone like Ancelott and he could attract top foreign players with experience. I'd happily drop kick Sterling, Henderson and all their glass houses bullshit into the Stretford end if needs be. 

• Upvote 4

Hang on when Benitez was foolishly sacked without having someone decent lined up the club was a fucking mess, was it really a surprise we ended up with super Roy to 'steady the ship' with the likes of Cecil running the hunt, most people who didn't hate Rafas guts could see exactly what was going to happen. Let's not pretend we didn't get a decent manager because of anything other then the circumstances around the club at that time.

Perhaps it wasn't the best point to make after a few pints.

Yeah, I take it back.

• Upvote 1

Will Brendan jump first? I doubt it. I can't see him being offered an opportunity better than ours.

Rodgers has always had a touch of Kevin Keegan to his approach. 

Maybe if Sherwood outtactics him he will admit he is not up to the job and quit in the Wembley toilets.

I don't see it though as you are right he will never get a better job than this.

With fans expectations lower than ever.

Rodgers being king of the soundbite has helped him immensely.

Those training course he attended have really paid off. A lot of Liverpool fans would not swap him with the highly decorated Klopp and say nobody could do better than Rodgers.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

Why would someone like Klopp choose us over Man City though? he's already been through years of building a club to compete at the top level, he's paid his dues and would probably like to get paid untold millions to coach a team of superstars and compete for major honours every season. He'd probably like to sign whoever he chooses without owners behind the scenes handicapping him with transfer strategy's or low balling for players.

He'd have to be a real man of principle to want to come here and there are very few of those type of men left in the game sadly. We're akin to a Dortmund project, only instead of one insurmountable foe, there is two oligarch's and two teams that generate much greater income. Why not take a cushy job at the top level?

Then again why would FSG want to get rid of Rodgers? he's shown he can compete against those four and he's improving tactically all the time. He's a very good manager, it's the recruiting side that's been an unmitigated disaster. Whats he meant to do? if he plays Borini the gobshite wants to stay, same with Balotelli. So he keeps his little trusted inner circle of players like Skrtel, Allen, Henderson, Coutinho, Raheem and Sturridge playing no matter what because they work hard in training and personify the values and work ethic he wants to instill throughout the club.

There was a story about Henderson the other week that said he went in the afternoon to the hospital as his wife was giving birth to their first child. As soon as the baby was out he was back in a car and driven straight to the game where he played a full 90 minutes for us while his wife was in the hospital. Rodgers after the game said it was a real captains performance due to the circumstances.

Then you look at Balotelli with a thermometer sticking out of his mouth not ill in the slightest, pulling out of match day squads left right and centre. So it's easy to understand why Brendan wants him out, but not only that why he wants to isolate that kind of lazy half arsed influence on the rest of the squad.

• Upvote 1

I don't think Balotelli's the one pulling out of match day squads. 

Also, if you want to engender an ethic of hard work, it makes no sense to bring in someone like Balo in the first place, only to isolate someone like Borini.

Borini's not a gosbhite for wanting to stay. Fans (and Rodgers) say they want players to fight hard for a place in this side, but when someone's taken from a promising career in another country, never given a consistent run of games and continually tries to prove themselves, they're discarded.

We have this view that we - and Rodgers - are a good club for nurturing talent, but I just don't think it's true. We stand by decent young players, the same as every other club, but cast off the likes of Borini and Suso sharpish when results are needed and managers would prefer to stick by those they already know, or spend money on rolling the dice again.

I highly doubt Ilori and Origi will get the game time they want, or if Alberto will ever play in red again.

• Upvote 5

Why would someone like Klopp choose us over Man City though? he's already been through years of building a club to compete at the top level, he's paid his dues and would probably like to get paid untold millions to coach a team of superstars and compete for major honours every season. He'd probably like to sign whoever he chooses without owners behind the scenes handicapping him with transfer strategy's or low balling for players.

He'd have to be a real man of principle to want to come here and there are very few of those type of men left in the game sadly. We're akin to a Dortmund project, only instead of one insurmountable foe, there is two oligarch's and two teams that generate much greater income. Why not take a cushy job at the top level?

Then again why would FSG want to get rid of Rodgers? he's shown he can compete against those four and he's improving tactically all the time. He's a very good manager, it's the recruiting side that's been an unmitigated disaster. Whats he meant to do? if he plays Borini the gobshite wants to stay, same with Balotelli. So he keeps his little trusted inner circle of players like Skrtel, Allen, Henderson, Coutinho, Raheem and Sturridge playing no matter what because they work hard in training and personify the values and work ethic he wants to instill throughout the club.

There was a story about Henderson the other week that said he went in the afternoon to the hospital as his wife was giving birth to their first child. As soon as the baby was out he was back in a car and driven straight to the game where he played a full 90 minutes for us while his wife was in the hospital. Rodgers after the game said it was a real captains performance due to the circumstances.

Then you look at Balotelli with a thermometer sticking out of his mouth not ill in the slightest, pulling out of match day squads left right and centre. So it's easy to understand why Brendan wants him out, but not only that why he wants to isolate that kind of lazy half arsed influence on the rest of the squad.

i dont think anyone is suprised about this as he has done it consistantly throughout his career in England, Talented player but with no appetite for the game.

I don't think Balotelli's the one pulling out of match day squads.

Also, if you want to engender an ethic of hard work, it makes no sense to bring in someone like Balo in the first place, only to isolate someone like Borini.

Borini's not a gosbhite for wanting to stay. Fans (and Rodgers) say they want players to fight hard for a place in this side, but when someone's taken from a promising career in another country, never given a consistent run of games and continually tries to prove themselves, they're discarded.

We have this view that we - and Rodgers - are a good club for nurturing talent, but I just don't think it's true. We stand by decent young players, the same as every other club, but cast off the likes of Borini and Suso sharpish when results are needed and managers would prefer to stick by those they already know, or spend money on rolling the dice again.

I highly doubt Ilori and Origi will get the game time they want, or if Alberto will ever play in red again.

Balotelli was brought in as a gamble, he was talking about this being his last chance so it was down to him to adapt if he was being serious.

As Rodgers said when he signed him he's coming in to a hardworking group and if he doesn't buy in to it he won't be a part of it which is what has happened .

Borini and Suso are not good enough for the squad which is why they have not been involved, your right our club is not a good place for average young players who work hard, I wouldn't want us to be that way and don't see that strategy working.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Lovren: Shitter than last season

Lallana: Shitter than last season

Markovic: Shitter than last season

Moreno: Shitter

Balotelli: shitter

Lambert: Doesn't get a look in

Allen: no longer the Welsh Xabi.

Johnson: Shitter

Mignolet: who knows.

Skertl: Played better in previous seasons.

Sterling: great end to last season. All over the shop this.

Sturridge: injured.

Henderson: in fits and starts.

Sakho: has he improved on his PSG form?

Aspas:

Alberto:

Coutinho: has improved, but could be down to gaining experience and confidence.

That's my assessment on players who have played for Brendan thus far. Can't really see this wholesale improvement that's being mooted.

Repped this in error.

You are chosing the timeframe that the players listed above have their good and poor form. That's easy

He has improved Mig from his form during the season.

Flanagan got England caps under him

gerrard had his best season in 5 years last year

Suarez was poty last year

Sturride got almost a goal every 90 minutes last year

Coutinho has improved massively since he arrived and is in the top 6 players ot the year

Sterling has become one of the biggest talents in europe and will command 30m + when sold.

Henderson was lumped in with Carroll and Downing when Rodgers started now he is a mainstay with England a big player for us.

Easy this lark

• Upvote 2

Balotelli was brought in as a gamble, he was talking about this being his last chance so it was down to him to adapt if he was being serious.

As Rodgers said when he signed him he's coming in to a hardworking group and if he doesn't buy in to it he won't be a part of it which is what has happened .

Borini and Suso are not good enough for the squad which is why they have not been involved, your right our club is not a good place for average young players who work hard, I wouldn't want us to be that way and don't see that strategy working.

No offence JP, but you rate Joe Allen as the one indispensable member of our squad. 

I fear we're so far away from a common ground on what makes a player average that any reply would be wasting both of our time.

I will however say that I believe Suso and Borini would not look out of place in a squad that has fielded the kind of line ups we have this year.

No offence JP, but you rate Joe Allen as the one indispensable member of our squad.

I fear we're so far away from a common ground on what makes a player average that any reply would be wasting both of our time.

I will however say that I believe Suso and Borini would not look out of place in a squad that has fielded the kind of line ups we have this year.

I said Allen was unreplaceable man for man in that we couldn't get a player as strong as him defensively and offensively, I said we could cover what he does with other players so not indispensable.

People need to stop concentrating on what he can't go and more on what his role is, start watching a match thinking his job is to win and keep the ball and then see how good he is.

I've seen Suso since the youth teams and he's not better then what we have so I understand him not playing here, Borini couldn't get a start as a striker for Sunderland and we want rid while he can't seem to get the hint so I also understand how he's been handled.

• Downvote 1

Repped this in error.

You are chosing the timeframe that the players listed above have their good and poor form. That's easy

He has improved Mig from his form during the season.

Flanagan got England caps under him

gerrard had his best season in 5 years last year

Suarez was poty last year

Sturride got almost a goal every 90 minutes last year

Coutinho has improved massively since he arrived and is in the top 6 players ot the year

Sterling has become one of the biggest talents in europe and will command 30m + when sold.

Henderson was lumped in with Carroll and Downing when Rodgers started now he is a mainstay with England a big player for us.

Easy this lark

Hm.

Mignolet's shit form was attributed to whom, then? Hodgo? Thought his missus got him sorted.

Flanagan got caps? Shall we break out the list of other players who got capped and credit their managers, too?

Gerrard's best season came from scoring lots of penalties. Besides, he's carried us for years before that, you know. Plus he's been shite this year.

Suarez was poty. Indeed, you should have stopped there.

Sturridge hasn't done too well this year even when healthy, has he?

Coutinho has improved. Yeah, he has, but still disappears often enough.

Sterling was better last year with Suarez.

Henderson is Henderson is Henderson.

Try this: last year 101 goals, this year 45 so far, including 26 from set pieces, this year 8 so far. Last year, 86 points, this year 75 maximum.

I'd happy to hear the explanation for that.

Same Rodgers

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Try this: last year 101 goals, this year 45 so far, including 26 from set pieces, this year 8 so far. Last year, 86 points, this year 75 maximum.

I'd happy to hear the explanation for that.

Same Rodgers

Left

-Luis-Suarez-008.jpg

Injured

0961__3344__sturridge1000_53f304584ffad7

That explains 50 goals.

• Upvote 7

I said Allen was unreplaceable man for man in that we couldn't get a player as strong as him defensively and offensively, I said we could cover what he does with other players so not indispensable.

People need to stop concentrating on what he can't go and more on what his role is, start watching a match thinking his job is to win and keep the ball and then see how good he is.

I've seen Suso since the youth teams and he's not better then what we have so I understand him not playing here, Borini couldn't get a start as a striker for Sunderland and we want rid while he can't seem to get the hint so I also understand how he's been handled.

Joe Allen is not unreplaceable.

Nobody's judging him by any other standard than protecting the defence, winning the ball and distributing it. They just don't rate him as highly as you.

Suso was shunted to allow Alberto into the squad, we then bought Lallana. He's better than Alberto, and (as much as I like Lallana) Lallana isn't worth £24m more than him. We mishandled his situation.

Borini's a better option than Balo or Lambert. 

We don't nurture young talent, we buy them up and then figure out what to do with them, much as we criticise the financial dopers of doing, it's just that they do it with a better calibre of player.

• Upvote 1

Talking about throwing people under the bus, I see Guardiola wasted no time blaming the Bayern Doctor and his staff for their defeat in the CL. He has a look of James May aka Captain Slow about him!

Bayern Munich doctor Hans-Wilhelm Muller-Wohlfahrt and members of his department quit 'after being blamed for Porto defeat' as Pep Guardiola's reign hits an all-time low

• Bayern Munich's long-serving doctor Hans-Wilhelm Muller-Wohlfahrt quits
  • German champions lost 3-1 in the Champions League to Porto this week 
  • Muller-Wohlfahrt claimed he and his staff were blamed for the defeat
  • Bayern release statement on Friday thanking Muller-Wohlfahrt for his services and saying they 'regret' his decision
  • Guardiola on Friday said he 'respects' Muller-Wohlfahrt's decision
  • Pep Guardiola seemed to place blame on injuries in post-match interview

By Oliver Todd for MailOnline

Published: 21:47, 16 April 2015 | Updated: 11:56, 17 April 2015

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
5.6k shares

View comments

Bayern Munich doctor Hans-Wilhelm Muller-Wohlfahrt, who has served the club for almost 40 years, has quit the Bundesliga club in the fall-out of their shock Champions League defeat by Porto.

Muller-Wohlfahrt claims the German champions' medical department has been blamed for Wednesday night's 3-1 first-leg defeat in Portugal which left their Champions League hopes hanging by a thread.

The 72-year-old medical professional, renowned as a world leader in his field, said 'the bond of trust is damaged' and called the blame centred at his department 'inexplicable'. His son Kilian, Peter Ueblacker and Lutz Hansel, who are all part of the team at Bayern, have also resigned.

27A4FDB200000578-0-image-m-48_1429217142

+7

Bayern Munich doctor Hans-Wilhelm Muller-Wohlfahrt has quit in the fall-out of their shock defeat by Porto

27A4FDBA00000578-3042596-image-a-59_1429

+7

The 72-year-old is renowned as a world leader in his field and has been at Bayern for almost 40 years

279C13E700000578-3042596-image-a-62_1429

+7

Muller-Wohlfahrt (fourth from left) sits behind Pep Guardiola during the defeat on Wednesday evening

CELEBRITY HEALER 

Hans-Wilhelm Muller-Wohlfahrt has often courted controversy with his methods. 

He claims that a substance called Hyalart, which is extracted from the crest of cockerels, helps lubricate knee injuries and take away pain.

He also swears by Actovegin, an amino acid preparation derived from calves' blood. 

In 2009, he prescribed more than 50 injections of goat's blood to St Johnstone striker Peter MacDonald for his hamstring injury.

Among those to have been treated by him are Ronaldo, Usain Bolt, Michael Owen and Jose Maria Olazabal.

Muller-Wohlfahrt claims to have administered more than one million injections, at least half of which have been to athletes.

A statement from Muller-Wohlfahrt read: 'After the Champions League match of Bayern Munich against Porto the medical department was for some inexplicable reason made primarily responsible. The bond of trust is damaged.' 

And on Friday morning, the club released the following statement: 'FC Bayern Munich notes with regret the decision of chief medical officer Dr Hans-Wilhelm Müller-Wohlfahrt (72) to resign his medical duties at the club.

'Dr Muller-Wohlfahrt in particular, but also his team, have performed first-class work for the club and its players over the years. Our sincere thanks are due for this.

'FC Bayern will shortly announce new arrangements for the club’s medical unit. Until then Dr Volker Braun, sports physician and consulting physician in trauma surgery and orthopaedics, will support the FC Bayern team at matches.' 

Pep Guardiola had just 14 fit players to choose from at the Estadio do Dragao and the Bayern manager implied in his post-match comments that the defeat was down to the lack of available players.

'We have players who were out a long time with injuries,' he said. 'Their legs don't last very long. It's a tough result to take into the second leg, but we'll give it a go.' 

Speaking at a press conference on Friday, Guardiola said: 'It was his decision to leave, I respect his decision. That is all.' 

Guardiola and Muller-Wohlfahrt have reportedly had differences of opinion on several previous occasions including over the fitness of midfielder Thiago Alcantara ahead of last summer's World Cup.

Mehdi Benatia, Franck Ribery, Arjen Robben, Javi Martinez and David Alaba were among those missing from the Bayern squad on Wednesday through injury. Holger Badstuber and Bastian Schweinsteiger have also struggled with long-term problems.

Footage circulating online appears to show Guardiola aiming sarcastic applause at his bench against Bayer Leverkusen last week after centre back Benatia was withdrawn with an injury.

Bayern say the announcement was unexpected. Media director Markus Horwick said: 'We have no knowledge of this release, so we can not comment.'

Joe Allen is not unreplaceable.

Nobody's judging him by any other standard than protecting the defence, winning the ball and distributing it. They just don't rate him as highly as you.

Suso was shunted to allow Alberto into the squad, we then bought Lallana. He's better than Alberto, and (as much as I like Lallana) Lallana isn't worth £24m more than him. We mishandled his situation.

Borini's a better option than Balo or Lambert.

We don't nurture young talent, we buy them up and then figure out what to do with them, much as we criticise the financial dopers of doing, it's just that they do it with a better calibre of player.

I agree with your last paragraph to a certain degree in that we are signing certain players with a view to selling them for a profit, Alberto and Assiadi look like two examples to me while others could be in the same position.

I'm not against it and think Chelsea have done some good business making money that way.

• Upvote 1

I love when I see the raised Rodgers fist in JP's avatar. It means I'm going to read some mentally positive Rodgers/Allen propaganda. I like to recharge on it when shit gets too negative. Thanks JP, keep up the good work you mentalist. 

Suarez sold. Sturridge injured.

How could anybody be criticised for failing to anticipate and plan for such freak occurrences?

Yep, fairly sure no-one on this forum thought we might end up short of strikers and goals at some point this season. The benefits of hindsight eh?

How could anybody be criticised for failing to anticipate and plan for such freak occurrences?

Good post.

We were all shocked that a player who angled for a move every international break should , er, leave, and that a player who has barely played a full season in his entire career should be unavailable for part of a season.

• Upvote 1

Ok, we're getting near the end of the season and back in the dawn of the Pleistocene, when this thread began, the essential question what would be a reasonable expectation for the post Suarez season.

If we win the FA cup, I support another year for Rodgers. The club exists to win trophies and that's one I would like very much to have. This assuming we don't make the CL, which depends on City as much as on us.

No trophy, no CL, wretched CL/EL campaigns and probably 12-15 points less, at best, than last season is an extremely poor return after the investment made. End of. Coming in 5th or 6th given that investment, and the existing players, reeks of mediocrity and doesn't merit such stirring defence of the manager. I mean, Rodgers was the only manager who could have achieved that?

For me, win the FA cup and keep your job. If not, I hope the club starts looking elsewhere, starting and ending with Klopp.

The problem isn't that we didn't replace Suarez or get backup for Sturridge, it's that we bought shite.

Lambert is championship quality and Baloteli is world renowned for being a lazy bastard who we then proceeded to play up top on his own as a target man. Add Borini to the mix and you've got £30 million that could have bought a truly world class player. 

Ok, we're getting near the end of the season and back in the dawn of the Pleistocene, when this thread began, the essential question what would be a reasonable expectation for the post Suarez season.

If we win the FA cup, I support another year for Rodgers. The club exists to win trophies and that's one I would like very much to have. This assuming we don't make the CL, which depends on City as much as on us.

No trophy, no CL, wretched CL/EL campaigns and probably 12-15 points less, at best, than last season is an extremely poor return after the investment made. End of. Coming in 5th or 6th given that investment, and the existing players, reeks of mediocrity and doesn't merit such stirring defence of the manager. I mean, Rodgers was the only manager who could have achieved that?

For me, win the FA cup and keep your job. If not, I hope the club starts looking elsewhere, starting and ending with Klopp.

http://bbc.in/1EVUHYb