You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

GF Car Buying Advice Required

Paul

2 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Musk's a cunt

Then there is this part - yea.

2 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

I am 50 next year though, so I might end up buying a speedboat instead. 

Nah man, get a big fuck off cruiser.

Should be said that the Q8 is a spectacular machine.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

Drove our electric car from Epsom to Leeds and back to watch the cricket. 450 miles, charged it once for 2 hours on the way home on sunday whilst we went for lunch and the charge cost £27. I'm never buying a petrol car again. 

£27? Is it a Delorean?

17 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Yeah there's more EVs coming out almost by the month. Personally I wouldnt buy a Tesla. Musk's a cunt and to be honest, apart from the battery tech, which other manufacturers are catching up, I just think there's loads of hype with Tesla's but that just my opinion, the 'cyber truck' being the latest example.

The way the UK is going, if you live in the extended London emissions zone, people are either going to pay through the nose to use their ICE cars, go EV or go without.

You are clueless with cars as well? 

Tesla is miles ahead of the competition in terms of range for your money. 

If you are buying an EV then Tesla is the only car to buy as things stand. 

Etron / I-pace all look good but offer less miles and cost more. 

19 hours ago, YorkshireRed said:

Not the same gas price advantages over here. Currently at an eight year high according to the news today.

I’ve read about current supplies, options etc. One reason why it might be worth leaving it a bit, although the risk might be that the current attractive offers might decrease.

For me, it’ll be an electric car or just sticking with what I’ve got. Any purchase is more of a nice to have than a need to have. 

I am 50 next year though, so I might end up buying a speedboat instead. 

I'm eagerly awaiting a blockade of vehicles and the Countryside Alliance threatening to bring the country to a halt over rising prices. Not.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Daisy said:

You are clueless with cars as well? 

Tesla is miles ahead of the competition in terms of range for your money. 

If you are buying an EV then Tesla is the only car to buy as things stand. 

Etron / I-pace all look good but offer less miles and cost more. 

You havent a fucking clue never mind able to read. Tesla arent 'miles ahead' on range for your money.

Model S, range 379 miles, starting price £55935

Ford Mach E, range 379 miles, starting price £41330

Model 3, range 360 miles, starting price £40990

VW ID 3 range 340 miles, starting price £34975

Prices from Carwow before any deductions negotiated.

Do you practice being stupid or does it come naturally to you?

I’d like a fully self driving one, but think that’s a few years away.  Also Musk is a cunt and I can’t forgive him for calling the cave guy a paedo.  

Im also not sure I need a car that farts and can play games.  They are nice though. But I still hate Musk. 

22 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

I’d like a fully self driving one, but think that’s a few years away.  Also Musk is a cunt and I can’t forgive him for calling the cave guy a paedo.  

Im also not sure I need a car that farts and can play games.  They are nice though. But I still hate Musk. 

Apparently Amazon are moving into the car sales game soon too.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dockers_strike said:

You havent a fucking clue never mind able to read. Tesla arent 'miles ahead' on range for your money.

Model S, range 379 miles, starting price £55935

Ford Mach E, range 379 miles, starting price £41330

Model 3, range 360 miles, starting price £40990

VW ID 3 range 340 miles, starting price £34975

Prices from Carwow before any deductions negotiated.

Do you practice being stupid or does it come naturally to you?

You are talking absolute shite. 

You've quoted extended model range miles but the given the starting price figure. 

The extended range modele are vastly more expensive. 

VW ID standard range is 217

Ford Mach E Range is 248

19 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

I think I’m going to go for the Taycan. I bet the Amazon one won’t let you stop for a piss. 

Just had a look at that, it’s lovely.

I’d have to factor in the additional; “If you can afford a Porsche, you can afford some new curtains, carpets, light fittings etc.” costs to what would already be an expensive purchase though so it’s probably out of my league. 

Not sure she knows what a Tesla is, let alone what they cost, so that might be more realistic for me.

If you get it, enjoy. I will be jealous but also pleased for you. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Daisy said:

You are talking absolute shite. 

You've quoted extended model range miles but the given the starting price figure. 

The extended range modele are vastly more expensive. 

VW ID standard range is 217

Ford Mach E Range is 273

Yes, you are talking shite. You said Tesla were 'miles ahead on range for your money.' They arent. The ranges and prices are the comparisons.

No wonder you're fucking useless with finances!

41 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

Just had a look at that, it’s lovely.

I’d have to factor in the additional; “If you can afford a Porsche, you can afford some new curtains, carpets, light fittings etc.” costs to what would already be an expensive purchase though so it’s probably out of my league. 

Not sure she knows what a Tesla is, let alone what they cost, so that might be more realistic for me.

If you get it, enjoy. I will be jealous but also pleased for you. 

It’s only really affordable through my company car scheme.  I think I mentioned above it’ll be able the same as my leased X3 without the fuel, servicing, road tax and insurance.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

You are getting hosed - come over and you can get an extended range (305 mileys) for around 35k usd.

Do the brit Feds offer rebates on EV?

Is it our VAT that fucks us up?  

There is a grant on new cars, I think it’s about £3k but they won’t let you have it on ‘luxury’ vehicles like a Tesla. 

35 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

You are getting hosed - come over and you can get an extended range (305 mileys) for around 35k usd.

Do the brit Feds offer rebates on EV?

The UK is not known as 'treasure island' by car manufacturers for nothing. I saved thousands importing UK spec RHD cars from Europe back in the early 2000s because our car prices were stupidly high.

There's a UK Government grant of about £2500 towards the cost of EVs and ultra low emission vehicles up to 40 grand although I think it will only apply to pure EVs in a year or two.

4 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

The Lecky cars are quiet as fuck, disturbingly so, like something from demolition man. Gonna be dead guide dogs left and right next few years.

New cars are going to have to include speed limiters from a designated point in time (I believe it's 2025) - this will be over-ridden by doing something like double pressing the gas pedal. Basically speeding will become an offence without having to be proven as over-riding the speed limiter will be an intended action.

Also The Highway Code could be subject to big changes early next year, with a hierarchy of road users with the most vulnerable having the most priority. This will likely result in accidents being down to the largest road users by default unless it can be proven otherwise.

8 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

New cars are going to have to include speed limiters from a designated point in time (I believe it's 2025) - this will be over-ridden by doing something like double pressing the gas pedal. Basically speeding will become an offence without having to be proven as over-riding the speed limiter will be an intended action.

Also The Highway Code could be subject to big changes early next year, with a hierarchy of road users with the most vulnerable having the most priority. This will likely result in accidents being down to the largest road users by default unless it can be proven otherwise.

The ethics aspect of self driving cars is fascinating. Basically human instinct is to protect ourselves in the event of an imminent collision, but a self driving car could make a judgement based on least worse scenario, so in theory it would drive you into a wall rather than run over a bunch of girl guides.

1 minute ago, Section_31 said:

The ethics aspect of self driving cars is fascinating. Basically human instinct is to protect ourselves in the event of an imminent collision, but a self driving car could make a judgement based on least worse scenario, so in theory it would drive you into a wall rather than run over a bunch of girl guides.

This is the hardest aspect of a machine driving the car and they are finding this the biggest obstacle. There have been many reported incidents during testing where pedestrians have been killed and vehicles have crashed into each other as the machine is trying to anticipate human instincts. Self driving cars have crashed into buses as the system expected the bus to give way even though it was on the main road. A driver allowing a car in is perfectly reasonable but is not necessarily guaranteed so a self driving car either has to follow the rules of the road to the letter or accept there are going to be mistakes made - which defeats the objective of self-driving cars.

I work with a guy who has links into all this and it is truly fascinating but it's a massive undertaking to get it working. As a side not, he recently did some work with James May - he's doing a lot of work right now in the learner driver space which I found surprising.

I've ordered my next manual training car, the new model of the Dacia Sandero which he describes as 'basically a Renault Clio". Only much cheaper.