You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The shitness of modern football

Redder Lurtz

Never mind when they are the fact they exist is shite.

End of season awards when we've won fuck all.

Indeed! And the papers are full of pictures of them all posing in their suits! Or Sturridge in a suit and trainer type shoes!

Guest Pistonbroke

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/39868118

Fifa: Ousted ethics chiefs were investigating 'hundreds' of cases

"Hundreds" of cases of alleged wrongdoing - some involving senior officials - were being looked into by Fifa's ethics committee before its main investigator and judge were ousted, the two have claimed.

Football's world governing announced on Tuesday it will not reappoint investigator Cornel Borbely and ethics adjudicator Hans-Joachim Eckert.

At a news conference on Wednesday, they said their removal was a "setback for the fight against corruption" with knowledge of the cases being lost.

The pair had earlier said it "meant the de facto end of Fifa's reform efforts".

Borbely believes his removal was politically motivated.

"We investigated several hundred cases and several hundred are still pending and ongoing at the moment," Swiss Borbely said on Wednesday.

He also outlined how he believed his removal along with German judge Eckert was "not in Fifa's best interests and against good governance".

It "weakened and incapacitated" football's world governing body, adding that "Fifa's code of ethics is a dead letter".

World football's governing body launched a reform process following the arrests and indictment of several officials on bribery and corruption charges in 2015.

Borbely and Eckert have combined to ban numerous football officials in that time.

Last year the committee investigated - and cleared - Fifa president Gianni Infantino of wrongdoing related to his expenses and sacking of whistleblowers.

Eckert's tenure has not been without criticism, however. In 2014 his report which cleared Russia and Qatar of corruption in the 2018 and 2022 World Cup bids was described as "erroneous and incomplete" by Michael Garcia, who had spent two years investigating the claims for Fifa.

Borbely and Eckert will be replaced by Colombian prosecutor Maria Claudia Rojas and Greek judge Vassilios Skouris, who was head of the European Court of Justice for 12 years until 2015.

How has Fifa responded?

While there has been no official Fifa response to the claims of Borbely and Eckert that their non-selection is "politically motivated", or that it will damage ongoing investigations, one senior official says the pair are guilty of "hype".

"It's not like we replaced them with non-independent people," Fifa vice president Victor Montagliani told BBC Radio 5 live sports news correspondent Richard Conway.

"They were replaced by two independent people of very high quality and standards. And so with all due respect, and they may be disappointed that they wanted to continue in the role, there's a lot of chairmen of a lot of other committees that want to continue as well. But at the end of the day Fifa and any other organisation has the right to change people on the committees."

Montagliani, the most senior official to comment so far, added the decision to replace them was "absolutely not" politically motivated - and suggested the two had made it political by speaking out.

"It's been way overblown from a hype perspective. I'm a little uncomfortable when judges start speaking in the media, either during their tenureship or even after their tenureship. I think that is quite unprofessional," he continued.

"The work needs to be done in a very humble way.

"From a public standpoint these committees need to do their work, and quietly do their work, efficiently, judiciously and execute it. They've both done a very good job, they've done yeoman's work in terms of what they've done, a lot of hard work. I take my hat off to them but I think it's time to give someone else an opportunity."

Fifa council member Sunil Gulati refused to expand on why the council did not want the two to continue in their role when asked by BBC World Service's Mani Djazmi, but added: "I have great respect for them and think they are outstanding legal minds. The people that have been asked to step into these roles are very high quality."

Fifa now seemingly "investigating" Firmino's transfer to us.

Unlike Man Utd who seem to have ignored the Pogba thing I fully expect us to suspend Firmino with immediate effect, stop all shirt sales with his name on, airbrush him out of any team photies/images used by club and ask the PL to scratch off all his goals and any points he has won us since joining!

Betting firms increasingly cornering the market on football shirt sponsorship. There is such an obvious conflict of interest here and yet the FA and the Premier League continue to allow it. There must be a number of people in these organisations getting rich off the back of it.

Liverpool have got Bet Victor sponsoring the training kit, and of next season's Premier League clubs, the following currently have and/or will have betting companies as their main sponsors: Bournemouth, Burnley, Crystal Palace, Everton (new deal with current Hull sponsors SportPesa announced today, and the main reason I'm bringing this up now), Newcastle (new deal with Fun88 also just announced), Stoke, Swansea, Watford, West Brom and West Ham. That is half the division and doesn't even count the sleeve sponsors that teams can put on their shirts from next season, or if any of the remaining clubs are changing their main sponsors next season.

Tobacco sponsorship has been banned for a number of years now, not that I can recall any team having tobacco companies' names on their shirts, and as far as I know, there were strict rules regarding alcohol sponsorship too. Everton have had a beer brand on their shirts for years now but other than ourselves with Carlsberg until 2010, I can't think of any other recent sponsorship deals with alcohol companies.

I'm not especially arsed about which companies sponsor teams but the conflict of interest with betting firms is an issue that is not being addressed. Oh, and sponsorship by that rag is a definite no-no.

• Upvote 4

An amazing stat on Talkshite today which says 60% of premiership footballers go bankrupt within 5 years of retirement.

They must really be stupid to have spent all that money in such a short space of time, though gambling addiction does seem to play a part for many too.

Thick people with shed loads of money that are too old to pursue the only thing they are good at never ends well. I guess the remaining 40% end up giving me a fucking headache talking shite on the box

Thick people with shed loads of money that are too old to pursue the only thing they are good at never ends well. I guess the remaining 40% end up giving me a fucking headache talking shite on the box

I would also like that 40% to go bankrupt too if it meant a return to simply a commentator giving us a description of the game.

I guess it depends when you consider the shitness of modern football began...

I was just reading about the upcoming anniversary of the European Cup Final of 77 and it said that the capacity for the Olympic Stadium in Rome was 85,000 but UEFA reduced it for the Final to 65,000 due to the fact they wanted to put massive advertising boards up. Thus meaning Liverpool and Borrusia only got 17,000 tickets each....

Looks like the UEFA family were just starting to get the hang of this being greedy fuckers lark

Although one part I did think was great was that Bob and  Peter Robinson had to go to Italy to get the tickets and then bring all of them back in a suitcase...

I could just imagine Bob if they got pulled up at customs..."can we see your tickets Sir"...."what all bloody 17,000 of them?...  that's gonna take a while lad"

The FA Cup Final always used to be a must-watch regardless of who was playing. The BBC coverage started about 9-ish and carried right the way through to the 3pm kick-off. Now, unless we are in the final, it's hard to take any interest in it, and even more so when the kick-off gets put back to a 5:30pm slot that only suits the London clubs and their fans.