You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Meeting new people - some serious shit please...

Bob

Those who've mentioned or suggested couples/relationship counselling: are there any recommendations for where best to go for this from experience?

Not a great weekend.

Thanks.

Don't know if this is a conversation that you could have with others but recommendations are always a good place to start. If counselling is new to you a recommendation at least gives you a bit of confidence going in, although as others have said already there are a lot of variables involved.

If you're not comfortable speaking to friends/colleagues, it might be worth asking your GP for information. They may not be able to recommend anyway but can probably point you in the right direction.

Plain old googling 'counselling in your local area' and checking websites should give you an idea about the way different organisations work and the kinds of counselling they offer

Just wading in now Bob as I didn't want to sound cruel last week. Most of us have been in relationships when we we not happy and the instinctive thing to do is to blame the partner.

I would get confirmation from your wife that she has a genuine desire for the relationship to succeed otherwise you are pissing against the wind. I would also suggest that she accept that you are trying to change the things she is unhappy with but there that will be bumps along the way. Ask that there is appreciation of the changes and the effort.

One last thing, when ye stay in at night, when ye watch tv or a movie or read a book do ye sit on the same couch? does she cuddle in to you? Do ye make dinner together? Do ye go to the shop together? Have weekend breakfast together etc. Go for walks, the 2 and 3 of you. It does not have to be all grand gestures. The small things are important too.

• Upvote 2

Those who've mentioned or suggested couples/relationship counselling: are there any recommendations for where best to go for this from experience?

Not a great weekend.

Thanks.

Assuming you have already discussed your forthcoming efforts to change , improve etc etc  and  assuming the shit weekend was down to your wifes mood not lifting  or being even remotely interested in your proposals - then I don't see what the future holds to be honest .

We're not talking about some wife-beating ,pisshead hardman here are we ? Didn't think so , fuck me by the sound of it you've been hard at work and contributing to a decent lifestyle for the two of you . So you haven't kept your waistline - so fucking what ! Unless your cynical attitude ,as you put it , has just sprung up in the last few months or so , why did she marry you , and have a child with you - didn't she know you ?

Sounds to me your wife wants a door mat , not a husband .  Lose abit of weight by all means , if that's what you want , but mark my words there will be more dramas and ultimatums on the way . Guaranteed . If you roll over now while she scratches your belly , you can forget ever having a balanced relationship

You're wide of the mark, elvis, but then only so much has been said and shared on here.

I think I need to get her to commit to counselling. With it there is a chance, without it not so much.

I'm going to stop posting on here for a while now, by the way, so - not that anyone is sitting waiting for an update - there will be silence on this topic now for a good while.

Hopefully the next time there is something from me here the world will be rosy.

Thanks for all your messages, and good luck for the coming season.

Ta-ta.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

You're wide of the mark, elvis, but then only so much has been said and shared on here.

I think I need to get her to commit to counselling. With it there is a chance, without it not so much.

I'm going to stop posting on here for a while now, by the way, so - not that anyone is sitting waiting for an update - there will be silence on this topic now for a good while.

Ta-ta.

I think this is best. You need to make sure you've got your priorities sorted. 

Like picking your fucking feet up in the draft, yeah.

• Upvote 2

It's absolutely up to you, Bob, but if you say you have found the reaction on here helpful it just seems a bit odd to decide to close that source of support now, at the very time you are going to need it most and by your own acknowledgement the alternatives are limited.

I'm not suggesting you should be updating the thread every 5 minutes but what's the harm of using this place for a bit of respite? Dont isolate yourself

• Upvote 1

Ta-ta.

I bet there's not.

Ta-ta.

How can you get advice ( GF style ) if you only tell half a story ?

Ta-ta.

bbbls.gif

• Upvote 3

I live in Meanwood. Originally from Liverpool but came to Uni here and stayed. I think one of the other posters is from around chapel A as well he said. Could get a few of us together. I go for a few pints with Paulie Gauliter from here as he lives in Leeds as well. He's a legend

I'd be more than willing for us to all go for a bevy. Andy (Ginny) & I might be going out after work on Friday after work for a bit if you fancy it?

I need to stress might, I'm at the hospital with my wife about something on Weds so may need to say with her & Ginny is incredibly unreliable!

Yeah, that's it, rub it in why don't you?

"Oh, look at me, I'm such a nice husband who puts his family first"

You utter cunt!

Yeah, that's it, rub it in why don't you?

"Oh, look at me, I'm such a nice husband who puts his family first"

You utter cunt!

He left out the part where they were going because he'd convinced her to trial a brand new medicine for the successful development of a third Tit.

If you're still reading this Bob I think Relate would be a good start, I think they can offer help whatever your situation. You mention getting your wife to commit to counselling so I'm wondering if she is reluctant and if that reluctance is through lack of desire for this to be fixed? If so you could try to convince her with the very genuine suggestion that whilst you don't want to, Relate could help you part if that's what she really wants. I think, if she's a decent person who has loved you, she might realise that she 'owes' you that much. That might seem the most ridiculous suggestion because it's so far removed from what you want, but Relate will help you get to the bottom what the issue is and offer you guidance in dealing with that, whatever the likely outcome is. Your wife may not even know what she really wants, counselling will help her work that out and if necessary they'll request sessions with you both individually and as a couple.

Like I mentioned Relate are very accessible, you deal with them directly not through your GP, you'll fill a few forms in when you get there and your first appointment will get underway.

Good luck whatever you decide to do.

Take her out

Keeerrrchuuuunggggg thud. Everyday I'm shovelling.

I'm still not convinced this isn't the ragtime band playing monthly madness. Fuck it. Shit or bust Bobby lad, shit or bust, ask her if she's on the blob. If she claws at your face screaming obscenities before breaking down in tears then it's ten points for yer uncle bastard. If she calmly walks out, it's a genuine problem.

• Upvote 1