You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

200 Nigerian girls abducted

Spy Bee

On the subject of this not being about religion.

I'd argue that most religions seeing women as, at best, second class citizens and, at worst, property definitely is part of the mix when you're talking about selling girls at a market.

Its always about people forcing others into their warped way of behaving and/or thinking. Religion is a flag of convenience in the same way as using a gang,sports team etc,to do harm to others with apparent justification.

Its always about people forcing others into their warped way of behaving and/or thinking. Religion is a flag of convenience in the same way as using a gang,sports team etc,to do harm to others with apparent justification.

Possibly. Religion has quite specific traits that enable this sort of thing though. As I say, the culture of women as second class citizens and the holding up of not questioning those above you are quite handy in enabling this sort of thing. The fact it's a powerful shield against any of your actions being challenged is important too. Try telling your boss you want 15 minutes a day to watch Kerry Dixon videos because you're in the Headhunters and see how it goes.

On the subject of this not being about religion. 

I'd argue that most religions seeing women as, at best, second class citizens and, at worst, property definitely is part of the mix when you're talking about selling girls at a market.

Women have always been subjugated in all societies.  It doesn't need a religion to verify it.  Glass ceiling, anyone?

Women have always been subjogated in all societies.  It doesn't need a religion to verify it.  Glass ceiling, anyone?

Religion codifies it. It's a force for it to keep happening, as opposed to one for it not to.

If you cross-referenced people's views towards women and their belief in religion I'd be massively surprised if they didn't follow quite a clear trend.

Religion codifies it. It's a force for it to keep happening, as opposed to one for it not to.

If you cross-referenced people's views towards women and their belief in religion I'd be massively surprised if they didn't follow quite a clear trend.

Our laws, customs and traditions codify it.  There's little difference.

12.9 million incidents: The British Crime Survey found that there were an estimated 12.9 million incidents of domestic violence acts (that constituted non-sexual threats or force) against women and 2.5 million against men in England and Wales in the year preceding interview (Walby & Allen, 2004).

12.9 million incidents: The British Crime Survey found that there were an estimated 12.9 million incidents of domestic violence acts (that constituted non-sexual threats or force) against women and 2.5 million against men in England and Wales in the year preceding interview (Walby & Allen, 2004).

Irrelevant

Our laws, customs and traditions codify it.  There's little difference.

Sorry, how is the law in this country little different to the teachings of the bible or koran? I'm struggling to find the bits about rape being cool in current UK law. As, through time, we try to change out "traditions and culture" for the better what do you see trying to drag them backwards? Always anti-progressive? Yup, there it is.

As your second post points out, domestic abuse is not codified by our laws. It's prohibited. What you might want to think is what the comparable figures are like in Saudi Arabia and why that might be.

You don't seem to be looking at the angle that as we move from being cavemen to trying to be more progressive there are positive and negative influences on that. Religion teaching people backward ways of thinking is a negative. If you build a value system around books written dozens of centuries ago then don't be surprised if they encapsulate backward cultural and societal norms from that time.

Like I say, graph attitudes towards women and religion and you'll see a trend. It's not x causes y but it'd be significant.

Sorry, how is the law in this country little different to the teachings of the bible or koran? I'm struggling to find the bits about rape being cool in current UK law. As, through time, we try to change out "traditions and culture" for the better what do you see trying to drag them backwards? Always anti-progressive? Yup, there it is.

As your second post points out, domestic abuse is not codified by our laws. It's prohibited. What you might want to think is what the comparable figures are like in Saudi Arabia and why that might be.

You don't seem to be looking at the angle that as we move from being cavemen to trying to be more progressive there are positive and negative influences on that. Religion teaching people backward ways of thinking is a negative. If you build a value system around books written dozens of centuries ago then don't be surprised if they encapsulate backward cultural and societal norms from that time.

Like I say, graph attitudes towards women and religion and you'll see a trend. It's not x causes y but it'd be significant.

Without getting too bogged down in legal history I believe that the preachings of the bible shaped many of the laws of the land. 

Is there anything about rape being cool in the Koran?  I haven't read it, so I wouldn't know and will have to accept your word for it if that's what it says.

I wouldn't say that religion is solely responsible for holding back our customs and traditions.  That seems to be too simplistic, for me.

I suppose the point I'm trying to make, probably quite clumsily, is that all civilizations have subjugated women whether using religion as a tool or not. 

Without getting too bogged down in legal history I believe that the preachings of the bible shaped many of the laws of the land. 

Is there anything about rape being cool in the Koran?  I haven't read it, so I wouldn't know and will have to accept your word for it if that's what it says.

I wouldn't say that religion is solely responsible for holding back our customs and traditions.  That seems to be too simplistic, for me.

I suppose the point I'm trying to make, probably quite clumsily, is that all civilizations have subjugated women whether using religion as a tool or not. 

Given that you're debating points I'm not making and missing ones I am we'll just call it a day.

• 2 weeks later...