You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

At least we know Spurs won't be looking at any other players we're after now.....

I couldn't give a fuck that we're not signing him. Not done enough previously and is obviously ONLY interested in money. £30mil or whatever is silly money to be paying for what could be a risk. fuck net spend crap too. We'll do OK and have enough going forward as far as I can see. Might leave room for Ibe and Sterling to push on.

We need another centre half and that's where I'd like to see money spent.

I'm glad we've kept our sanity and not paid over 30 m just to beat Spurs, if true. It's simply crazy money for a player who did not even score 30 goals over three seasons. For that kind of money we should get someone who can guarantee us at least an average of 20 goals a season. Spurs are just acting stupid thinking that they're getting better than Liverpool just because they're spending more. We've got to use the head rather than the heart in this business and continue the smart way we've proceeded thus far. Now that stupid Spurs are (happy) and content they've "beaten " us to another signing, we can move on with someone like Lamela/ Damiao/Turan...someone who can significantly contribute to our goal tally. That' is what we need. (Not a competition with Spurs who're not our equal anyway). This Willian is not what we need as the statistics show. So stop the moaning and chill. As a poster suggested somewhere, 30 m is not Willians's real value, it was what a drunken billioinare paid for the player just to satisfy his fancy. Just leave it alone.

Top post. Yesterday Navas ran rings around Newcastle, he went for half the price Spurs are paying.

Sometimes you have to be grateful for the deals you don't make.

Draxler and Lamela are out of our league. If Lamela is moving, every big club will be sniffing.

*Lamela signs for Spurs tomorow*

They said the same thing for Willian - and that ended up between us and Spurs, timing is everything!

Apparently Roma are looking to sell - although I would be more inclined towards Turan and Papa.

I like the way Spurs are building a team, rather than relying upon one player. If they sell Bale, then they would have sold their best player 3 times in the past 5 years - and built a team that can challenge for the league on the back of it. .

He's got a week to build that team though. He started all his new signings against Palace and to be honest they all looked average, against a very poor side.

Now he's got a very expensive version of Taraabt to add to it. Stepovers galore, but Enrique will just chest him off the ball like everyone else.

They go to Dinamo Tblisi on Thursday in a play off game for the Europa League, they then play Swansea on Sunday who will be desperate to make amends after the United loss, then Tblisi again on Thursday, then Arsenal on the Sunday, then Norwich the following Saturday, Cardiff away the Saturday after that, and Chelsea the Saturday after that.

It's coming thick and fast now, even more so if they qualify for the group stage, which would begin in September also.

But bear in mind that his Spurs team at the weekend looked liked this:

Lloris

Walker

Vertonghen

Dawson

Rose

Lennon

Paulinho

Dembele

Chadli

Sigurdsson

Soldado

Which is a neat starting XI, but still your wide men are Lennon and Chadli, which is pretty mediocre.

And then their bench was...

Fridel

Kaboul

Naughton

Capoue

Townsend

Carroll

Defoe

Which could be the bench of any middling Premiership team. I think they lost real quality back-up in Dempsey, Huddlestone, Parker and Caulker, whereas we lost Carroll, Spearing, Downing and Shelvey, with only Downing who offered anything resembling backup, which was of a very low quality.

We had a very good starting XI at the weekend, and our bench was:

Jones

Wisdom

Alberto

Allen

Sterling

Ibe

Borini

A young bench, but a quality bench, and then remember that Suarez and Cissokho are now to be factored into that, probably ahead of Alberto and Ibe, with a first teamer dropping out for Suarez.

If we add another attacked then we're struggling to shoehorn them into that matchday squad.

The only obvious weakness in our starting XI is Sterling and maybe Henderson. Whereas I see weakness in Spurs' starting XI in a few places, and the bench looks very uninspiring.

Spurs are being exposed.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

David Ornstein ‏@bbcsport_david 10m

Willian to decide Liverpool/Spurs later today. #Lfc offering around £30m, no bearing on Suarez. #Thfc will match, could have bearing on Bale

I'm not happy about this at all, to be honest. I fail to see anything remotely re-assuring or any silver lining whatsoever. We can't even compete with Spurs now when it comes to securing players.

I don't blame anyone because it is what it is - it's just gutting.

Well this is where the money is coming from.

Gianluca Di Marzio þ@dimarzio 29s

Bale-Real Madrid: Coentrao included in total deal of 93£.

It makes sense looking at Spurs' full back options. Danny Rose has no neck and starts games.

That said, why the **** would Contrao want to join Spurs? Seems a massive fall from grace considering he was bought by Madrid for an absolute fortune not long back. That said, people slate Marcelo and yet he starts ahead of Contrao, which seems to suggest that Contrao isnt operating on all cylinders.

Meanwhile, we have Enrique and also brought in Cissokho on loan. Nice.

I've got no idea what's happening at Roma, or why they'd want to sell Lamela. They've already sold Stekelenberg, Marquinhos and Osvaldo for a combined £50m+ and have brough in Strootman, Gervinho, and Benatia for a combined £32m+ so they dont need to balance books.

You'd imagine that Lamela would set them back a further £30m.

Seems like a crazy year at Spurs, they need CL to keep that wage bill alive, it's a high risk gamble.

Honest question....at this point, right now, does anyone really know whats going on?

I have a gut feeling that its the agent who has caused a shit storm as he was hoping to get Spurs interested and make us panic into upping our bid. Far fetched but by no means impossible.

If this is true then all of this is bullshit.

Sports Journalism has now stopped being about the truth and is now measured by "number of clicks" an article generates. Fucking twitter does not help matters either by adding fuel to the fire.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Ben Smith ?@BenSmithBBC 8s

#LFC have' date=' I'm told, missed out on Willian. Leandro Damiao not on list of alternatives.[/quote']

More great news.

I'm not happy about this at all, to be honest. I fail to see anything remotely re-assuring or any silver lining whatsoever. We can't even compete with Spurs now when it comes to securing players.

I don't blame anyone because it is what it is - it's just gutting.

I'd rather have a team of player who want to be here than a team of players who went to the highest bidder.

I'm just looking forward to Spurs' first loss of the season without Bale, and the nervousness that creeps in.

Don't be a dick Brownie, remember, Spurs can only put XI on the field at the same time.

So maybe it's

Lloris

Walker

Vertonghen

Dawson

Contrao

Willian

Dembele

Paulinho

Lennon

Lamela

Soldado

Nice looking team that, Soldado's a bit one-paced and any sort of physicality will be a problem for him, Willian, Lamela and Lennon though. They all bounced off Bale.

And who's on the bench?

Friedel

Kaboul

Chadli

Sigurdsson

Defoe

Capoue

Townsend

I still look at that bench and dont see real quality that can change a game.

Meh. Super meh. I still fancy Coutinho, Sturridge, Aspas and Suarez to score loads of goals, and I fancy Toure and Mignolet to keep the ball out of the net. Call me a romantic, but I'm happy with our lot and I'm happy it's not us shopping at the last minute to replace our star player and trying to figure out how we're going to develop a system to replace him, in the middle of August.