You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Watches

Elmyn Noos

Just now, Arniepie said:

armani do nice ones tbf. Quite understated and relatively cheap,

I cant stand those big chunky things all those teds from st helens wear. 

I'm not keen on fashion brand watches, not out of snobbery but they tend to be Chinese movements, most of what you're spending is going on the name.

A citizen or casio eddifice at the same price will be far better built.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

I'm not keen on fashion brand watches, not out of snobbery but they tend to be Chinese movements, most of what you're spending is going on the name.

A citizen or casio eddifice at the same price will be far better built.

I have a couple of Citizens and an Edifice and I still have the Seiko my Mrs bought me not long after I met her. 

Spring wound and battered to fuck after almost 40 years but still going strong.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thoughts on this? Got it the other day with some birthday money. Only 150 from Argos. Had my eye on it for ages. A proper certified dive watch by citizen. Promaster make great watches and it's unusual to fine one under 300. 

Still don't know whether to keep it though as I've already got two metal band watches, a steel eddifice watch and a citizen titanium.

20230209_111127.jpg

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, VladimirIlyich said:

To all you people who wear expensive-ish watches on a daily basis 'How the fuck do you stop them getting scratched or twatter going about your day?' It sounds impossible and why I wear a cheap plastic one on my wrist. Even this gets marked and scuffed constantly.

the last watch i owned about 15 years ago was made from titanium and yet was cheap to buy. Not one mark on it ever.

just no point in having a watch anymore, i dont like to waste time looking at my wrist every 10 minutes to be reminded of my impending death.

1 minute ago, Clem H Fandango said:

the last watch i owned about 15 years ago was made from titanium and yet was cheap to buy. Not one mark on it ever.

just no point in having a watch anymore, i dont like to waste time looking at my wrist every 10 minutes to be reminded of my impending death.

All fair comment.

The next watch I get will more than likely be either a divers watch or a plain analogue because the my last 3 watches have all been chronographs which I inadvertently start every time I do something like getting out of my armchair.

Bend hand back and it pushes button.

No great hardship apart from having to reset, but sometimes they don't reset to zero so you have to recalibrate. Again no hardship until they refuse to recalibrate.

Both my Citizens have gone that way and now the Edifice is starting to play up which is a shame as it's a nice looking watch.

20230209_111904.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
On 30/01/2023 at 15:49, Arniepie said:

armani do nice ones tbf. Quite understated and relatively cheap,

I cant stand those big chunky things all those teds from st helens wear. 

I was given my grandfathers watch for my 16th birthday. Some fucking piece of shit stole it from the changing rooms at football.

I bought this watch to replace it as it wasn’t loud, garish or fucking massive on your wrist. 

I’m still wearing it 23 years later. 

F4F8C792-475D-49A6-8838-5A79A801A76A.jpeg

• Upvote 1

• 10 months later...
29 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Thoughts on this? I quite like the British racing green, but I'm not sure if a black face / bezel is the safer option.

product55172-4166_cropped.jpg.thumb_FFFC

I like it. Whilst not as traditional as a black dial/bezel, green is pretty versatile, in my opinion. It reminds me of the Rolex Submariner ‘Hulk’, which, for a time, was my dream watch. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Thoughts on this? I quite like the British racing green, but I'm not sure if a black face / bezel is the safer option.

product55172-4166_cropped.jpg.thumb_FFFC

Not a fan of the colours. The Silver is too light, plastically looking doesn't go well with that dull shade of green.

• Upvote 1