You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Scottish Independence, yay or nay?

Baltar

Decimates it in what way?

In much the same way it currently is doing. Your shopping being 10% dearer and your holiday cash 20% dearer is just the start.

The Scots can save themselves all that bother, and good luck to them.

Oh, and make sure you put up a bloody big fence, to keep out all those English economic migrants.

• Upvote 1

In much the same way it currently is doing. Your shopping being 10% dearer and your holiday cash 20% dearer is just the start.

The Scots can save themselves all that bother, and good luck to them.

Oh, and make sure you put up a bloody big fence, to keep out all those English economic migrants.

Eh.  So join the EU along with the Euro and then trade with the UK (their biggest export markets) by far,  which will incur tariffs etc etc.

If that happens then the 10% your talking about becomes a whole lot more for them.  

Eh.  So join the EU along with the Euro and then trade with the UK (their biggest export markets) by far,  which will incur tariffs etc etc.

If that happens then the 10% your talking about becomes a whole lot more for them.

They're going to have tariffs even if they stay in the UK, so that argument is nonsense.

Meanwhile, they'll be in the euro and the EU, being able to buy cheap English pounds (and big chunks of England, most probably), and benefiting from remaining in the single market.

The English may have decided to commit suicide, but the Scots shouldn't feel honour bound to leap off the cliff after them. Good luck to independent Scotland.

I was 100% against Scotland leaving last time. This time around I'd strongly advise them to get out while they still can, before being outside the EU decimates the economy.

Nobody knows what's round the corner. Scotland's economy isn't huge and Portugal, Greece, and Ireland know what happens when you start needing a helping hand from the EU.

Nobody knows what's round the corner. Scotland's economy isn't huge and Portugal, Greece, and Ireland know what happens when you start needing a helping hand from the EU.

These are the notoriously prudent Scots we're talking about here. Practically the polar opposite of the retire at 45 on full pay while paying no tax Greeks. Somehow I can't see them running up enormous bills due to congenital profligacy.

Scotland have got the highest public spending deficit in the EU (higher than Greece). The English taxpayers subsidise their public spending. If they became independent they'd have to cut health care by 82% and slash public services like the police and transport. The VAT would have to go up to 40%.

I can't understand why they'd want that for themselves. 

Scotland have got the highest public spending deficit in the EU (higher than Greece). The English taxpayers subsidise their public spending. If they became independent they'd have to cut health care by 82% and slash public services like the police and transport. The VAT would have to go up to 40%.

It's either that or indefinite Tory rule, which certainly puts a different spin on things.

I also suspect that some of those figures have been plucked out of thin air.

It's either that or indefinite Tory rule, which certainly puts a different spin on things.

I also suspect that some of those figures have been plucked out of thin air.

I understand the thing about Tory rule, but you live in a relative utopia right now. You've got free healthcare, no tuition fees, no prescription fees and you get more money on a per capita basis than anyone else in the UK.

I don't understand why the Scots would risk the stability of that for the uncertainty of leaving the UK. Your deficit is 9% of your GDP, the EU limit is 3%. What happens if the EU don't want you? 

I understand the thing about Tory rule, but you live in a relative utopia right now. You've got free healthcare, no tuition fees, no prescription fees and you get more money on a per capita basis than anyone else in the UK.

I don't understand why the Scots would risk the stability of that for the uncertainty of leaving the UK. Your deficit is 9% of your GDP, the EU limit is 3%. What happens if the EU don't want you?

A relative utopia where people are queuing up at foodbanks every day to feed their children?

I've not decided how I would vote but why should Scotland constantly have a government we don't vote for and be pulled out of Europe against our will? It's fucking grating I can tell you that and it might be worth 10 or 20 years of economic shit so we can make our own decisions as a country.

Scotland have got the highest public spending deficit in the EU (higher than Greece). The English taxpayers subsidise their public spending. If they became independent they'd have to cut health care by 82% and slash public services like the police and transport. The VAT would have to go up to 40%.

Interesting figures, didn't know that. Would you maybe have a link for the source at hand?

They're going to have tariffs even if they stay in the UK, so that argument is nonsense.

Your not making any sense whatsoever.  Frist things first nobody knows what gonna happen with negotiations yet.

Secondly if what you say is true then would you rather pay tariff's on trade which is worth less  then than 20% of your economy (the eu) or one that is worth 70% (the rest of the uk).

Seems you'd rather see the UK split up at any cost just to "get one back" at the English (The Welsh also voted leave by the way).

Interesting figures, didn't know that. Would you maybe have a link for the source at hand?

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/720541/SNP-Scotland-economy-debt-Sturgeon-Greece-EU-public-spending-deficit

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/08/24/scotlands-huge-deficit-blows-15bn-hole-in-case-for-independence/

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/28/nicola-sturgeon-heading-to-brussels-for-talks-with-european-parl/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-36656980

The Taxpayers' Alliance said Scotland's overspending is such a chronic problem that the issue needs tackling irrespective of the independence question, as the country ran up a fiscal deficit of £14.8bn in 2015-16.

And the pressure group said an independent Scotland would have to carry out drastic measures to balance its books including cutting all spending on police, transport, and agriculture, increase basic rate income tax to 39 per cent and double VAT to 40 per cent.

In addition, health spending would also have to be cut by 82 per cent.

Official data released on Wednesday shows that Scotland is in the red to the tune of 9.5 per cent of its GDP, compared to four per cent for the UK as a whole. The figure is understood to be the highest in the EU, after Greece at 7.2 per cent of GDP and Spain at 5.1 per cent.

The group said Scotland's public spending remains far in excess of England's with spending per head being 20 per cent higher, heavily subsidised by taxpayers elsewhere.

The report also highlighted that Scotland has run a deficit every year since devolution in 1999 despite sometimes record oil prices.

To become an EU member, an independent Scotland would be forced to tackle its deficit as any deficit over 3 per cent of GDP is deemed excessive by the EU

It makes me wonder that if Scotland is such a drain on the English tax payer, how come the PM & his cronies were so desperate to keep us in the union in 2014, it doesn't really add up, does it?

The thing that stops me from being completely pro-Independence at the moment is the SNP, I wouldn't trust the cunts as far as I could throw Alex Salmond & they really need to get the currency thing sorted out before they call another referendum. If they did that then we're in the middle of a shitstorm with leaving the EU anyway, so why not just go for a double whammy & then in 20 years Scotland will be back on it's feet & free of tory rule.

It makes me wonder that if Scotland is such a drain on the English tax payer, how come the PM & his cronies were so desperate to keep us in the union in 2014, it doesn't really add up, does it?

India with a population of over half a billion was ruled over by the UK with 3 blokes and a bike and still consider us as friends. When you unruly fuckers are independent we have to build a wall to keep you out.

Better to have you in the tent pissing out

• Upvote 1

The thing that stops me from being completely pro-Independence at the moment is the SNP, I wouldn't trust the cunts as far as I could throw Alex Salmond & they really need to get the currency thing sorted out before they call another referendum. If they did that then we're in the middle of a shitstorm with leaving the EU anyway, so why not just go for a double whammy & then in 20 years Scotland will be back on it's feet & free of tory rule.

Well, Northern Ireland was always an even bigger drain. The figures shared above do seem appalling, has this argument been countered recently?

The problem with the SNP is they're nationalists above all else. They'd happily accept independence even if it meant real economic hardship for Scotland, losses of thousands of jobs and causing an all round shit storm.

There's a theory in politics called the horseshoe theory and it states that instead of the left and the right being polar opposites of each other, they actually converge the further you go on each spectrum, like a horseshoe.

Watching Sturgeon and Salmond talk about independence always reminds me of that and i see so many similarities with Nigel Farage.