You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Scottish Independence, yay or nay?

Baltar

The problem with the SNP is they're nationalists above all else. They'd happily accept independence even if it meant real economic hardship for Scotland, losses of thousands of jobs and causing an all round shit storm.

There's a theory in politics called the horseshoe theory and it states that instead of the left and the right being polar opposites of each other, they actually converge the further you go on each spectrum, like a horseshoe.

Watching Sturgeon and Salmond talk about independence always reminds me of that and i see so many similarities with Nigel Farage.

The SNP like to make out they're left wing but they're not really when you look at some of their policies, a lot of people up here call them the 'Tartan tories'.

It makes me wonder that if Scotland is such a drain on the English tax payer, how come the PM & his cronies were so desperate to keep us in the union in 2014, it doesn't really add up, does it?

The thing that stops me from being completely pro-Independence at the moment is the SNP, I wouldn't trust the cunts as far as I could throw Alex Salmond & they really need to get the currency thing sorted out before they call another referendum. If they did that then we're in the middle of a shitstorm with leaving the EU anyway, so why not just go for a double whammy & then in 20 years Scotland will be back on it's feet & free of tory rule.

Its all about world status,  less land mass and smaller population weakens the UK, hence why the pm and co don't want to see a break up. 

Unfortunately their is no actual decent opposition to them up North other than Ruth Davidson.  Being a Tory though she wont be in power anytime soon.  The other parties only hopes at the minute is to win just enough seats to stop the SNP getting a majority at Holyrood.

The SNP like to make out they're left wing but they're not really when you look at some of their policies, a lot of people up here call them the 'Tartan tories'.

Having seen the SNP up close they absolutely reek of New Labour but with even less social conviction i.e. sound center left in public without actually doing anything.

I do genuinely wonder if they got independence would it be like the'brexiteers' where they then all basically scarper with little idea of what to do next. 

It's a tough one for the Scotts, personally I'd have wanted independence myself if it was me, but there's a lot of economic unknowns out there now compared to the last time, especially in relation to the price of oil. 

It would be quite cool though if they did become independent and formed an alliance with Russia and poo-tin started stationing troops there. By cool I mean a bit scary and shit.

I do genuinely wonder if they got independence would it be like the'brexiteers' where they then all basically scarper with little idea of what to do next. 

It's a tough one for the Scotts, personally I'd have wanted independence myself if it was me, but there's a lot of economic unknowns out there now compared to the last time, especially in relation to the price of oil. 

It would be quite cool though if they did become independent and formed an alliance with Russia and poo-tin started stationing troops there. By cool I mean a bit scary and shit.

Why is the entire population of Scotland quickly making it's way to the highlands...

giphy.gif

• Upvote 1

As an exiled Scot the promise of my homeland being completely cut off from the consistent insanity of Conservative Party of policy and the will of the Middle Class in the South of England is hugely tempting, but the inevitable economic issues would be difficult to bare, mind you I think the UK is likely to suffer fairly a period of significant economic contraction with the leaving of E.U. so perhaps the Nat's will try and strike while the iron is hot.

It makes me wonder that if Scotland is such a drain on the English tax payer, how come the PM & his cronies were so desperate to keep us in the union in 2014, it doesn't really add up, does it?

I'd say there's more in that in relation to Mooks question than the people who run this nation would like to admit. Putin would be all over them with offers of gas for next to nothing in return for access to their airspace, waters and ports.

• Upvote 1

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/720541/SNP-Scotland-economy-debt-Sturgeon-Greece-EU-public-spending-deficit

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/08/24/scotlands-huge-deficit-blows-15bn-hole-in-case-for-independence/

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/28/nicola-sturgeon-heading-to-brussels-for-talks-with-european-parl/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-36656980

The Taxpayers' Alliance said Scotland's overspending is such a chronic problem that the issue needs tackling irrespective of the independence question, as the country ran up a fiscal deficit of £14.8bn in 2015-16.

And the pressure group said an independent Scotland would have to carry out drastic measures to balance its books including cutting all spending on police, transport, and agriculture, increase basic rate income tax to 39 per cent and double VAT to 40 per cent.

In addition, health spending would also have to be cut by 82 per cent.

Official data released on Wednesday shows that Scotland is in the red to the tune of 9.5 per cent of its GDP, compared to four per cent for the UK as a whole. The figure is understood to be the highest in the EU, after Greece at 7.2 per cent of GDP and Spain at 5.1 per cent.

The group said Scotland's public spending remains far in excess of England's with spending per head being 20 per cent higher, heavily subsidised by taxpayers elsewhere.

The report also highlighted that Scotland has run a deficit every year since devolution in 1999 despite sometimes record oil prices.

To become an EU member, an independent Scotland would be forced to tackle its deficit as any deficit over 3 per cent of GDP is deemed excessive by the EU

Project Fear. Next it'll be Braveheart 2 and Zombies...

Would she/we not be better off to just give free stuff away to people who cant afford it ?

Every baby born in Scotland will get a free box of useful things from 2017

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/scotland-baby-boxes-nicola-sturgeon-speech-live-snp-conference-a7363256.html

This is what I mean about the SNP, some of their policies wouldn't be out of place in The thick of it.

They've been giving these boxes in Finland for a very long time, and if it can be shown that there's a link between that and lower rates of infant mortality, then it's not a crazy policy.

Certainly it's far preferable to the "named person" policy they had to scrap, which was crazy (and illegal).

They've been giving these boxes in Finland for a very long time, and if it can be shown that there's a link between that and lower rates of infant mortality, then it's not a crazy policy.

Certainly it's far preferable to the "named person" policy they had to scrap, which was crazy (and illegal).

Why do you think it was crazy?