You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Does Rodgers deserve another season.

thompsonsnose

Your unwavering lack of accuracy never ceases to amuse.  Except when you're trying to.  

It was a genuine comment.

I thought as you lived in Surrey and maybe have a higher income, if this has any influence on your thinking that prices have not reached their ceiling.

• Downvote 1

On pricing I had the misfortune to sit in the main stand yesterday and the ticket price was £53....£53 to watch us play QPR.

That to me is simply too much, I paid it simply because it was the last time we would see Stevie play as I am not going any of the other games left, but it's fucking ridiculous.

• Upvote 3

On pricing I had the misfortune to sit in the main stand yesterday and the ticket price was £53....£53 to watch us play QPR.

That to me is simply too much, I paid it simply because it was the last time we would see Stevie play as I am not going any of the other games left, but it's fucking ridiculous.

It is a ridiculous price to watch some very average/shite football.

• Upvote 2

I think we would have got a champions league spot comfortably if Sturridge was fit and we bought anyone but Balotelli. I also think the young lads we got will come good and Lallana, while overpriced will become a good squad player for us. Lovren has been a disaster and the lack of quality back up in goal probably cost us a fair few points as well.

Can Rodgers/the comittee be trusted to get it right this summer though I do not know. Sometimes I think yes, other times I worry. Seems like at the end of every season we're saying 'This summer is massive' Oh how nice it would be to only need a couple of additions, instead we coul(should) be looking at at least another 6-8 players

It is a ridiculous price to watch some very average/shite football.

It's what's going to do for BR in the end.

I'm ok with the fact that he's going to be here next season and I very much hope that he gets everything right and we batter everyone but I'd be fucking amazed if that turns out to be the case as he's just not a particularly good manager currently...he will be, I think, but not with us 

I think we would have got a champions league spot comfortably if Sturridge was fit and we bought anyone but Balotelli. I also think the young lads we got will come good and Lallana, while overpriced will become a good squad player for us. Lovren has been a disaster and the lack of quality back up in goal probably cost us a fair few points as well.

Can Rodgers/the comittee be trusted to get it right this summer though I do not know. Sometimes I think yes, other times I worry. Seems like at the end of every season we're saying 'This summer is massive' Oh how nice it would be to only need a couple of additions, instead we coul(should) be looking at at least another 6-8 players

The United and Arsenal games, home and away, have cost us top 4 as well and playing Brad fucking Jones against Arsenal and United cost us those games as we actually dominated those games but only scraped one point because Jones let every shot in that they had. Even if Mignolet needed a spell out the team it shouldn't have been for those games because of how bad Jones is. God knows what would have happened had Jones not got injured either with Mignolet dropped 'indefinitely'.

The thing is now, we've made that much of a mess of things over the last 12 months that we're effectively at year zero again rather than 3 years into a longer term plan. I don't think we can afford to be soft about it and think "well we'll give Brendan another year and we'll see how it goes". If we stick with him it needs to be for another few years. Next season can't just be wasted with a last chance saloon. Either way it's back to the drawing board and we must get it right in the summer with transfers or we won't do anything next season.

• Upvote 1

It's what's going to do for BR in the end.

I'm ok with the fact that he's going to be here next season and I very much hope that he gets everything right and we batter everyone but I'd be fucking amazed if that turns out to be the case as he's just not a particularly good manager currently...he will be, I think, but not with us

Unless we stick with Brendan Rodgers for the next 5 or 10 years we're making Brendan Rodgers a good manager for someone else! That's the reality because he's learning his trade and he still has a lot left to learn. As I said before there's no point giving him 'one more season' and judging him then. Either we cut our losses now and get a proven manager in, or we back him for the next few years and hope he becomes fully trained up.

If he's able to oversee our best league campaign in 25 years (and one of the most impressive league campaigns of any club in recent years) whilst he's still learning the basics of football management, can we really afford to let go of him?

• Upvote 3

If he's able to oversee our best league campaign in 25 years (and one of the most impressive league campaigns of any club in recent years) whilst he's still learning the basics of football management, can we really afford to let go of him?

But also 2 of our worst half seasons in generations. The first halves of the other two Rodgers seasons were practically as bad as Hodgson's. Our best league campaign was maybe 08/09 (more points and up against a United side far stronger than anything in the league last season). You could say that a team that's conceded 51 goals in a league season hasn't been good enough. No team has won the Premier League with a record like that. Keegan tried and failed as well but even that team never conceded close to that many. It's a huge fluctuation between good and bad seasons but without a trophy to show in either of them and a propensity to bottle big games.

That's the question though. Do we look at last season and decide Rodgers is worth sticking with long term until he's trained up? Or do we look at the other 2 seasons, and the transfer record and European record, and decide he's not up to it yet? This is where the 'give him another year and see' line comes in because there's no way he could survive 3 poor seasons out of 4.

It comes down to the club though. A rookie manager like that should never have been appointed without a DOF and/or an experienced coaching staff. If he stays that has to change. If he hadn't hamstrung himself like that from the start he could have done a lot better overall while still learning and, crucially, learnt quicker.

It might be more reasonable to assess how we have fared in all the competitions we've entered instead of cherrypicking the best one.

It might be more reasonable to assess how we have fared in all the competitions we've entered instead of cherrypicking the best one.

It was widely quoted throughout last season that a key part of us doing so well in the league wasn't just Suarez being brilliant last season or Rodgers doing a great job in the league but the fact we were only playing one game a week, concentrating solely on one competition. Mourinho quoted that we were on our holidays.

Not exactly fair but the point is, the minimum requirement for a Liverpool team is to have European football every season. When Rodgers has been in Europe he's really struggled getting to grips with it, but he's also really struggled juggling Premier League and Europe, and managing a squad, and regularly complained earlier in the season of a lack of training time because of all the extra games.

So last season's league season was great but if we're assessing Rodgers over 3 years and putting all the stock into last season then it should be put into the context of us being out of of Europe; with the conclusion that could he get near to repeating a season like that with a Europa League season to juggle for example? The best chance of league success next season would be being out of Europe altogether and being back to one game a week again. But this club expects European football.

I'm not sure Rodgers will ever be a manager of the quality we're asking for.  I will wait to the end of the season before passing judgement on whether he should get another season or not though - given things are more or less in the balance, three games can determine a lot.  While we're on a downward trajectory, it's hard to make a case for the man.  

Some of the problems I have when we're praising how young our team is, is that potential sometimes never arrives or we've sold for a profit if it does. The season we finish second, playing once a week, we were still out on our arses in the second half of games at the end of the season.

The argument for Europe being a distraction I can't get my head around. All the best players and teams play in it, you can't become good without it. It's not a choice.

And Rodgers will have delivered that two seasons out of three.

It's a very minimum requirement. The only other 2 times we've failed to qualify for Europe in 20 years are the seasons Evans and Hodgson left mid season.

Point being, a Liverpool manager needs to be able to juggle domestic and European football and manage a squad effectively. Rodgers hasn't shown he can yet.

I disagree it was our best season in 25 years,even League season. We have finished second before on a couple of occasions,and although our Football not have been as swashbuckling as last season the end result was the same,second.

Of course I think 2001,2005,2006, and one or two other seasons were ultimately better than last season as we won trophies.

• Upvote 1

The thing about last season is that all the same flaws were still there. The defence was suspect and we were unable to grind out results, we often threw leads away and had to bust a gut to get ahead again. The difference this time is that we've been decapitated with the loss of Suarez and Sturidge.

Last season was the result of an incredible run of form, but those runs of form aren't sustainable long term IMO.

Arsenal will probably beat Villa, and therefore finishing 7th will "deliver European football". It isn't an achievement.

It's worrying that he hasn't shown any signs at all of getting to grips with European football. 

Perhaps we could loan him out.

• Upvote 1

Arsenal will probably beat Villa, and therefore finishing 7th will "deliver European football". It isn't an achievement.

It's worrying that he hasn't shown any signs at all of getting to grips with European football.

Perhaps we could loan him out.

Seems like he's not that arsed about it already.

Echo.

"Brendan Rodgers says the Europa League could give an opportunity for Liverpool’s rising young stars to force their way into the first team picture next season - if the club do miss out on the holy grail of Champions League football."