You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Vegetarianism

King Emlyn

Are you a vegetarian?  

138 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a vegetarian?

• Yes, meat is murder
    • No, I love meat me
    • I should consider it really
    • I have no intention of ever entertaining the idea

Quote:

Originally Posted by Champ

You cant beat having a good stash of cheese in at Christmas (well, you can, but you know what I mean)

Have been out this morning and bought a piece of Cornish Cruncher, courtesy of M&S, dont know if it exists anywhere else, and will be getting some stilton tomorrow. And writing this has just reminded me that I need some wensleydale to go with my Christmas cake. Nooooooo.....now I'll have to fit that into my plans somewhere

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sugar Ape

Went the Cheese shop in Woolton Village the other day. Love that place. Got an Irish cheese with Guinness in it, a red Leicester with Chillis in it and a creamy Cheddar mixed with single malt whiskey, which makes your eyes water just smelling it. Lovely.

Quote:

Originally Posted by brucespanner

These are the shit,

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elysian Red

Why Cheese is Like “Dairy Crack": Because It’s Got Morphine In It

Going by your posts you all are huge fans of Cheese but Vegtarians you know legally there is no law that says a cheese manafacturer has to disclose if they Use Rennet its a fact that most cheese has it.

It's not worth attempting to discuss anything with you Simon, because - and I genuinely don't mean this in a horrible way - you are a prize idiot.

I would, however, like to see another video like this. Come on, I know you must have one lying around somewhere.

iY_PTQgLaU8&

The alcohol is Woodford Reserve bourbon btw, and, to be fair, I owe a lot to the automatic spell checker.

Id kill for some of that right now saw some in a station at 19 pound a bottle amazing price but i promised my mum id stay away from it all

Just to clarify, I am not, and have not, attempted to ' preach ' to anyone. My wife eats meat every day, and that's her choice and completely up to her. I am just offering my opinion, which is that a lot, though obviously not all, meat eaters tell themselves a few lies to alleviate some guilt they may feel.

Simon, if you ever see Woodford Reserve for under £20, you should always buy it. Always.

Just to clarify, I am not, and have not, attempted to ' preach ' to anyone. My wife eats meat every day, and that's her choice and completely up to her. I am just offering my opinion, which is that a lot, though obviously not all, meat eaters tell themselves a few lies to alleviate some guilt they may feel.

Simon, if you ever see Woodford Reserve for under £20, you should always buy it. Always.

I was amazed to see it under 30 never mind 20.

I've never had the misfortune to have my digestive system besmirched by the consumption of quorn. If I was ever in a position to be presented with it to eat, I may just take the opportunity to become a cannibal and eat whoever is offering it.

That'd learn them!

I normally can't be arsed with these threads, and I probably should leave this as I'm extremely drunk, but for me, killing animals who can experience pain and fear just so you can eat their flesh, when you can easily exist without that, is wrong.

What the people who eat meat should say is they don't give a shit about animals and they eat them because they are selfish cunts and they like the taste. I woudn't agree with that, but I'd respect the honesty there. I'm also not a fan of the ' if you stop eating meat, someone else will and the animal will still be killed ' argument. I've lost days recently striking against pension cuts and job losses. Has it stopped them happening? Has it fuck. Will it stop it happening? No chance. It's the principle that counts, for me.

Instead, you mostly get, well wolves/bears/tigers or whatever the fuck kill, which is totally irrelevant as they do so out of necessity, or the other lame argument about them only existing because people eat meat. As if that is a valid excuse.

Comparing job losses to eating a chicken is pretty laughable there mate, I have to say.

I'm personally not trying to 'excuse' anything as it demands no excuses, the predator-prey relationship is as fundamental to nature as procreation. Try taking carnivores - including yourself - out of the equation, and see how quickly your back garden turns into New Zealand.

People are also conveniently forgetting here that this is a meat INDUSTRY, these animals would not exist at all if they were not bred for food, you can not take something away they would not have had. Surely you realise there's a fundamental difference here between taking a spear and killing someone's family dog just as it's about to sit down for a nap in front of the fire, and eating a chicken which was bred by Morrisons and has probably been alive for a matter of weeks?

Personally I don't feel guilt about it, I feel no need to 'excuse' it, I just don't get why anyone would expend that much thought on an animal. The fact people lose sleep over a Hen's living conditions while there are people out there living on the streets absolutely astounds me, I've got very little time for a creature which can live for extended periods without a head.

This is a broad point and not one personally aimed at you, but I've always found people who get overly preoccupied with animals a little bit weird. At the extreme end of the scale are people who are into animal rights. And I'm sure we've all met our fair share of people who come out with things like "I prefer animals to humans, they don't hurt you". Such people are usually quite friendly with vodka and Stanley blades.

So no, I'm not arsed personally. I've got complete respect for people who want to go that way, good for them, but trying to convince me it's somehow inherently morally wrong or I'm a twat for adhering to inbuilt appetites is insulting.

Edited by Section_31

While I completely agree with some of your points you are not naturally a carnivore.

You are a omnivore,you cannot live on meat alone and its only in relatively modern times that humans have eaten so much meat.

• Upvote 1

Quote:

Originally Posted by Champ

You cant beat having a good stash of cheese in at Christmas (well' date=' you can, but you know what I mean)

Have been out this morning and bought a piece of Cornish Cruncher, courtesy of M&S, dont know if it exists anywhere else, and will be getting some stilton tomorrow. And writing this has just reminded me that I need some wensleydale to go with my Christmas cake. Nooooooo.....now I'll have to fit that into my plans somewhere

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sugar Ape

Went the Cheese shop in Woolton Village the other day. Love that place. Got an Irish cheese with Guinness in it, a red Leicester with Chillis in it and a creamy Cheddar mixed with single malt whiskey, which makes your eyes water just smelling it. Lovely.

Quote:

Originally Posted by brucespanner

These are the shit,

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elysian Red

Why Cheese is Like "Dairy Crack": Because It's Got Morphine In It

Going by your posts you all are huge fans of Cheese but Vegtarians you know legally there is no law that says a cheese manafacturer has to disclose if they Use Rennet its a fact that most cheese has it.[/quote']

????

I shouldnt even be asking, should I?

Quorn is for fucking Hypocrites your not a true Vegi imo if your buying Quorn

Absolute nonsense. It's entirely possible to make a decision to give up meat based on conscience while still enjoying the taste. We're genetically programmed to eat meat, after all. There is no hypocrisy involved whatsoever. I know vegetarians who crave the taste of bacon but don't eat it because it's wrong. Why shouldn't they get an approximation of that taste via some means that doesn't compromise their principles?

For somebody that claims to be a chef/cook simon doesn't have a fucking clue.

http://www.vegsoc.org/page.aspx?pid=495

A lot if cheese is made from non meat based rennet.

And no-one in that post was suggesting those cheeses were for vegetarians....although I distinctly remember RJ buying rennet free cheese for his non meat eating guests

Going by your posts you all are huge fans of Cheese but Vegtarians you know legally there is no law that says a cheese manafacturer has to disclose if they Use Rennet its a fact that most cheese has it.

Unless it's labelled as suitable for vegetarians, which a lot of cheese is.

And no-one in that post was suggesting those cheeses were for vegetarians....although I distinctly remember RJ buying rennet free cheese for his non meat eating guests

I did, the choice severely limited the choices in an artisan cheese shop, but on the daily average stuff veggie compliant stuff is much more common.

When I went veggie for a month, cheese one of the better labelled goods. But processed food with cheese, eg. Pizza could be a minefield IMO.

But there are plenty of choices and is no need to eat rennet, save for specialty cheeses.

Can't put this off any longer I'm going to have to become one. Been wrestling with it for years but eating meat just can't be justified anymore as far as I'm concerned. A bit ashamed it's taken me this long. Any tips for newbies. How many are there on here?

So, on a scale of 1 to 10, has this thread met your objectives?

Interested to know what has 'tipped you over the edge' now and what kind of tips you were hoping to get?

For my part I had vowed never to read a 'Simon thread' again; this one turned out to be a bit of a Trojan horse

Guest Slim(fast)Shady

Why were given tearing and chewing teeth? Certainly wasn't to nibble on a lettuce leaf! Vegetarians? Nuisance! 'can't eat that I'm a vegetarian'! Do us a favour! And I know a fat vegetarian,takessome doing that doesn't it?

You dont know what the fuck you get with cheese as there is no law that says they have to say Rennet is in it and it can still be passed as Vegi, The use of Rennet does not have to be disclosed. Old school Cheeses still use it especially Cheap ones in the supermarket, As for Delis they don't give lables and how can you be sure they are talking Truth? I mean look at all the horsemeat crap thats coming out. People are blind and gulable.

The more I read his posts I realize he knows fuck all about food and his audience. Absolute quim.

I know plenty of food but i don't research into stuff like cheeses etc in terms of ingredients etc as they is no law thats says to disclose whats in it. To say i know Fuck all about food is insulting just because i speak stuff you dont agree with to do with a subject many dont even think off not many know about rennet. If they did then they'ed be cautious on what they drink as well as eat. I kno.w what is vegi friendly and what isn't. Because i dont agree with vegis themselves eating Quorn Chesses etc does not mean i know fuck all, If a vegi really cared for the animals they would be vegan.

Why were given tearing and chewing teeth? Certainly wasn't to nibble on a lettuce leaf! Vegetarians? Nuisance! 'can't eat that I'm a vegetarian'! Do us a favour! And I know a fat vegetarian,takessome doing that doesn't it?

No, it doesn't. Most vegetarians that I know are fat... Look in nature, Vegetarian animals are usually fat.

So, on a scale of 1 to 10, has this thread met your objectives?

Interested to know what has 'tipped you over the edge' now and what kind of tips you were hoping to get?

For my part I had vowed never to read a 'Simon thread' again; this one turned out to be a bit of a Trojan horse

It's been good. I wasn't sure how many there would be, some good links to recipes. It's very much a personal choice, I'd never ever preach to anybody but I just can't justify it to myself anymore. Simons' input was.......interesting

It's been good. I wasn't sure how many there would be, some good links to recipes. It's very much a personal choice, I'd never ever preach to anybody but I just can't justify it to myself anymore. Simons' input was.......interesting

My point basically was that Vegis are blind half of them don't realize just what they eat and drink take Quorn for instance its made with egg whites, Sometimes in some cases Slaughter of a quick unknown pain rating death is better than being kept alive and going through endless pain and torture. I am a strong believer in if you are vegi then you should be pure like a Vegan.