You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sugar Ape

10 hours ago, Sixtimes Dog said:

Well, it seems win-win to me. 

I did think of a hypothetical example as to why accusations of hypocrisy in situations like this are ridiculous.

Let's take a fictional politician - we'll call him Jeffey Corden. Mr Corden has been very vocal about his opposition to Britain selling arms to Saudi Arabia (and I agree with him).

However, at the same time, Mr Corden and his party have been trousering millions of pounds in donations from Unite the Union, led by Mr McCluskey, a close personal friend of Mr Corden.

Unite the Union represents workers at BAE Systems, an arms company that has sold millions of pounds worth of weapons to Saudi Arabia. In fact, Saudi is responsible for a full sixth of BAE's business, and BAE has 6,000 employees based in Saudi (some of whom, no doubt, are Unite members).

What this means is that Mr Corden is taking huge amounts of money from the very people who have been building the weapons which Saudi Arabia has been using to kill civilians in Yemen.

Is Mr Corden a hypocrite for accepting this money? I don't think so, but if I follow the logic proposed by others...

Lmao

2 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

You do. You know full well what is meant. 

I also mentioned it yesterday but you conveniently ignored it. 

You mentioned SNP allegations over her election spending yesterday, on which she was cleared of any wrongdoing (SNP lying again, what a shock), but I wasn't convinced that was what sir roger was talking about.

4 hours ago, Sixtimes Dog said:

Stop with this shite. If I thought she was being hypocritical, I would say so, no matter how partisan I am.

I was defending you somewhat. Just like I wouldn’t go out of my way to defend Boris Johnson for example... I don’t expect you to be balanced wrt Corbyn.

Just now, viRdjil said:

I was defending you somewhat. Just like I wouldn’t go out of my way to defend Boris Johnson for example... I don’t expect you to be balanced wrt Corbyn.

I don't want you to defend my right to be unbalanced. I've no interest in being anything other than balanced.

4 minutes ago, Sixtimes Dog said:

Not sure arguing that women's achievements shouldn't be honoured is a great look for supporters of the only major party who has never elected a female leader, if I'm honest.

The worst kind of identity politics. Do you think Jo was advancing the feminist cause when she was voting for and defending austerity?

Edit:

Oh, you were talking about fucking Thatcher? Get a grip mate, Jesus Christ 

3 minutes ago, Sixtimes Dog said:

Not sure arguing that women's achievements shouldn't be honoured is a great look for supporters of the only major party which has never elected a female leader, if I'm honest.

The most divisive leader of modern times and she wants to champion a monument?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Sixtimes Dog said:

Not sure arguing that women's achievements shouldn't be honoured is a great look for supporters of the only major party which has never elected a female leader, if I'm honest.

Yep you have actually typed that out. On a Liverpool forum. 

I bet you buy the s*n as well. 

17 minutes ago, Sixtimes Dog said:

You've had a Female leader for 5 fucking minutes, give your arse a rest!

5 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

There won’t be room if JC gets in, all the others will be replaced. 

Many a true word said in jest.

Imagine a world in which the only permitted monuments are to people the ruling government deems ideologically sound. Ugh. Maybe No Deal really would be better than that.

12 minutes ago, Sixtimes Dog said:

Many a true word said in jest.

Imagine a world in which the only permitted monuments are to people the ruling government deems ideologically sound. Ugh. Maybe No Deal really would be better than that.

You’ve lost the plot lad. Good grief 

2 minutes ago, moof said:

You’ve lost the plot lad. Good grief 

I don't want to live in a country where only one point of view is tolerated. That's literally the opposite of liberalism (for anyone who needs help understanding the term).

Imagine thinking that people are Tories just because they think the achievements of a Conservative woman should be recognised.

There's a statue to Tony Benn in Bristol, in recognition of him serving as the city's MP for 30 year. I'm totally fine with that too. Guess I must be a Bennite as well.

• Downvote 1