You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Other football

Jhinge Machha

Looking back, you do wonder why Madrid never made a play for Suarez, as he was happy to go to Arsenal, so surely he'd have gone to Madrid if they'd made a decent offer? I just find it hard to believe that Benzema is better than all of Suarez, Aguero and Lewandowski. Perhaps Aguero wouldn't go there due to his time at Atletico? Not sure, but it is an odd one. 

It'd be pretty fucking funny if they swerved on Suarez and stayed with Benzema due to not wanting to attract negative press though! Luis has been a model citizen since he got there. 

• Replies 49k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jairzinho

• magicrat

• Russ Atmosphere

• Dr Nowt

Looking back, you do wonder why Madrid never made a play for Suarez, as he was happy to go to Arsenal, so surely he'd have gone to Madrid if they'd made a decent offer? I just find it hard to believe that Benzema is better than all of Suarez, Aguero and Lewandowski. Perhaps Aguero wouldn't go there due to his time at Atletico? Not sure, but it is an odd one.

It'd be pretty fucking funny if they swerved on Suarez and stayed with Benzema due to not wanting to attract negative press though! Luis has been a model citizen since he got there.

isnt lewandowski top of their list of players they will let it be known they re after amd they ll let the media do all the unsettling before they make a deadline day bid for less than hes worth

isnt lewandowski top of their list of players they will let it be known they re after amd they ll let the media do all the unsettling before they make a deadline day bid for less than hes worth

Would they try that again so soon after the De Gea balls-up? Imagine Suarez in place of Benzema and De Gea in goal at Madrid? Significantly strengthened and it would appear both were very realistic chances to happen. The Suarez one is more baffling, given how much he has improved their biggest rivals. 

Would they try that again so soon after the De Gea balls-up? Imagine Suarez in place of Benzema and De Gea in goal at Madrid? Significantly strengthened and it would appear both were very realistic chances to happen. The Suarez one is more baffling, given how much he has improved their biggest rivals.

He was never going to sign for Madrid because his heart was set on playing for Barcelona.

I think his wife has her immediate family living in Barcelona also so it was never really in doubt.

If he signed for Arsenal it would have only been the club which he left to join them instead.

If you think about it, we just stalled the deal they were cooking up anyway. Buy Suarez, sell to Barca for Sanchez plus cash.

They just did the transaction a different way around. Thing was, we were the ones who made the major profit not Arsenal.

There was a pretty well-sourced rumour going around that Real Madrid dropped their interest in Suarez after the third bite at the World Cup.

The same guy who said we were getting Klopp two weeks before any journos had the story said that Liverpool were planning to hold an auction for Suarez with the price anticipated to be near 100m but that the bite caused Real to get cold feet and Barca were the only ones in for him.  Suarez probably preferred Barca anyway, but the price would have been higher if they were both making offers and counter-offers.

It is right to say that Real would be much better with Suarez instead of Benzema.  It would be a pretty close contest between the two Clasico teams if you swapped Suarez from one side to the other, even if Barca then had 75m to go and spend on someone else.  Don't think they could possibly find another player to fit them as well as Suarez does.

I'm enjoying watching some of the English teams struggle in the Champions League. However... isn't it getting close to Italy being upgraded to four teams and England being downgraded to three? I'm not an expert on the coefficient thing, but I think it's getting close, and it would be so frustrating to finish fourth and not have that be enough.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want any of them winning the thing, but I'd take someone getting to the semi final and losing, if that kept four spots open.

There was a thread about this a while back.  From what I gather, it's not quite as close as people think to happening and Europa League counts too.  That was the two points I took from it

• Upvote 1

He was never going to sign for Madrid because his heart was set on playing for Barcelona.

I think his wife has her immediate family living in Barcelona also so it was never really in doubt.

If he signed for Arsenal it would have only been the club which he left to join them instead.

If you think about it, we just stalled the deal they were cooking up anyway. Buy Suarez, sell to Barca for Sanchez plus cash.

They just did the transaction a different way around. Thing was, we were the ones who made the major profit not Arsenal.

My wife's family is from Grimsby but I'll be fucked if I have my heart set on moving there.

Madrid and Barca never seem to bid on the same player when stuff gets serious, they clearly have some sort of mutual bully's agreement to save themselves money.

• Upvote 2

My wife's family is from Grimsby but I'll be fucked if I have my heart set on moving there.

Madrid and Barca never seem to bid on the same player when stuff gets serious, they clearly have some sort of mutual bully's agreement to save themselves money.

Didn't they fight over Neymar?

I'm enjoying watching some of the English teams struggle in the Champions League. However... isn't it getting close to Italy being upgraded to four teams and England being downgraded to three? I'm not an expert on the coefficient thing, but I think it's getting close, and it would be so frustrating to finish fourth and not have that be enough.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want any of them winning the thing, but I'd take someone getting to the semi final and losing, if that kept four spots open.

I think it is very close. I read somewhere recently that claimed it can't impact how many places England have this season. I don't know if that is true. Fortunately, the uefa cup can help contribute as much towards the coefficient as the champions league (in 2005 or 2007 I think Newcastle got, almost as many points as us for getting to the semi of the uefa cup), so with Liverpool and spurs looking strong in that competition and if any English sides get knocked out of the CL looking like they will continue in the uefa, perhaps this can be a season where we can get more points than Italy.
  • Upvote 1

I think you twisted my two sentences but nonetheless your point stands about Grimsby.

Arsenal got Sanchez and we spunked the money.  Not that clever were we