You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Brendan Rodgers Thread

mht1892

Guest the boy

The club needs electric shock therapy. Reserving judgement upon Rodgers, but big changes need to be rung in - including Carragher out of the squad, Spearing out of any jersey unless it is worn in the league cup, Gerrard out of the centre of midfield and no more pandering to players whose form over an extended period has not justified their contract or reputation. On the basis of our performances prior to Wigan away last season, there is material to be worked with. Midfield is the problem area and its crucial that he gets that right this summer.

Not sure of the chronology, but did Rodgers and LVG's paths cross at any point whilst he was watching/studying over in Spain and Holland?

Segura worked with LVG

LVG worked with Mourinho

Mourinho worked with Rodgers

Rodgers worked with Clarke

Clarke worked with Keen

This has not answered your question though

I've got mixed emotions about Rodgers. He's got a lot going for him and his teams play great football, but he's still fairly inexperienced and I'm not sure one good season at Swansea qualifies him for the Liverpool job. But he's now, so he is.

If you believe press reports, it looks like we've abandoned the DOF structure and Rodgers is getting full control. Even if that isn't true I think they're still sending out mixed signals with the appointment of Rodgers. They sacked Dalglish because he never finished 4th and he'd have still gone even if he'd won the FA Cup, so there's obviously a big desire to be in the top 4 as soon as possible. In my mind if 4th is the immediate goal, then someone with experience should have been the choice and even then I think there would have been a lot of work to get us back in the top four next year. To then ask someone who's only had one year in the top flight, to come in change the culture of the team and to then finish above two of Arsenal, Spurs and Chelsea in order to finish 4th is asking too much and leaves them with another decision this time next year if we don't get 4th.

The club needs electric shock therapy. Reserving judgement upon Rodgers, but big changes need to be rung in - including Carragher out of the squad, Spearing out of any jersey unless it is worn in the league cup, Gerrard out of the centre of midfield and no more pandering to players whose form over an extended period has not justified their contract or reputation. On the basis of our performances prior to Wigan away last season, there is material to be worked with. Midfield is the problem area and its crucial that he gets that right this summer.

I don't think you'll get any of that with Rodgers.

His whole style appears to be a matey sort of coach.

I've got mixed emotions about Rodgers. He's got a lot going for him and his teams play great football, but he's still fairly inexperienced and I'm not sure one good season at Swansea qualifies him for the Liverpool job. But he's now, so he is.

If you believe press reports, it looks like we've abandoned the DOF structure and Rodgers is getting full control. Even if that isn't true I think they're still sending out mixed signals with the appointment of Rodgers. They sacked Dalglish because he never finished 4th and he'd have still gone even if he'd won the FA Cup, so there's obviously a big desire to be in the top 4 as soon as possible. In my mind if 4th is the immediate goal, then someone with experience should have been the choice and even then I think there would have been a lot of work to get us back in the top four next year. To then ask someone who's only had one year in the top flight, to come in change the culture of the team and to then finish above two of Arsenal, Spurs and Chelsea in order to finish 4th is asking too much and leaves them with another decision this time next year if we don't get 4th.

If the reports are accurate, the whole reason for going for him becomes completely pointless.

If he gets control then FSG are as completely fucking moronic as Broughton & Purslow.

If the reports are accurate, the whole reason for going for him becomes completely pointless.

If he gets control then FSG are as completely fucking moronic as Broughton & Purslow.

I agree, it would seem a strange and quite amateurish to come out and publically say this is the way forward (DOF Structure) and then to go and hand total control to a man who's only got one years experience in the PL.

We'll see what happens.

Quite the contrary; there is no point in hiring a new manager without giving him control.

A manager lives and dies by his results.

Is that rafa on ice for another 12 months then? He'll always be looming.

Rafa is like a guy that's been ditched by his missus, moves into the house next door, follows her to work every day, sits in the car outside her office, follows her home and never makes plans for the evening, instead choosing to sit alone in the house in case she decides she'll pop round for a brew.

We'll always have Istanbul in the springtime but he needs to move on with his life.

Quite the contrary; there is no point in hiring a new manager without giving him control.

A manager lives and dies by his results.

Of course he does.

But Rodgers was sold on the basis that he was the best candidate for a system the owners were implementing.

If they've abandoned it or watered it down then we've passed over four league title winning managers, three of which have won the European Cup.

That is Hodgson over Pellegrini stupidity right there.

Of course he does.

But Rodgers was sold on the basis that he was the best candidate for a system the owners were implementing.

If they've abandoned it or watered it down then we've passed over four league title winning managers, three of which have won the European Cup.

That is Hodgson over Pellegrini stupidity right there.

I have no idea whether Rodgers was sold on that basis or not.

FSG have clearly overlooked better qualified candidates. Only time will tell if they were right in their gamble.

Dont tar Broughton with Purslows brush. He is the main reason we were not liquidated nob

I have no idea whether Rodgers was sold on that basis or not.

FSG have clearly overlooked better qualified candidates. Only time will tell if they were right in their gamble.

Well that has been the main justification for him on here and other forums.

Because no one not one person has been able or willing to put a credible case forward that he should be picked ahead of Capello, Van Gaal or Rafa.

Well that has been the main justification for him on here and other forums.

Because no one not one person has been able or willing to put a credible case forward that he should be picked ahead of Capello, Van Gaal or Rafa.

Forums are full of shit, they're almost as bad as the sewer of Internet; Twitter. Some mongs watch over this sewer day and night looking for something to post.

It is up to FSG to argue why they have chosen one manager over others. Only then can we judge their reasoning.

Rafa is like a guy that's been ditched by his missus, moves into the house next door, follows her to work every day, sits in the car outside her office, follows her home and never makes plans for the evening, instead choosing to sit alone in the house in case she decides she'll pop round for a brew.

We'll always have Istanbul in the springtime but he needs to move on with his life.

Yes , lets ignore the fact that he loves the area , and that his wife and children have settled and are very happy where they live .

Disrespectful , bitter knobhead.

Here's my thoughts on this. I'm not thrilled immediately as I wanted avb, but rogers is a better bet and 'feels' more suitable than martinez. The higher level appointments will need to be right as the biggest thing rogers lacks is the name and track record to attract top players. If the man higher up the tree can do that, then that problem is limited.

Obviously its a gamble, but his football philosophy we've heard about would be the sort of eau id like to see the club go. Our inability to press teams last year drove me mental and it really impressed my about swansea.

I see this as pretty similar to the benitez appointment, only not his appointment at Liverpool, more his appointment at valencia. A young manager with good stock, well schooled and with great willingness to learn from others and had success at a lower level.

We might well be a bigger club than valencia, but were a long way off top and even further off having the biggest resources, so tradition aside, its a fait comparison.

If rogers can have success with us - and I don't for a second expect 2 titles and a uefa cup - well be on the road back towards commanding the respect WE think we deserve, at which point, he'd be unlikely to be lured away like benitez was, but if he was wed have candidates knocking down our door again.

I'm not at all convinced it'll play out that way, I'm pessimistic by nature and therefore think it'll probably go tits up, but I'm not wholly against the principle of the appointment. More than anything, we need to understand out current position, and realise there is a reason were having to look at the tier below the names we would want to. It seems we've got to grips with that realisation for player targets, so this is just one more step.