You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Brendan Rodgers Thread

mht1892

An official site statement from Kim Jong Hinesy. My underlining. The mind boggles.

RAWK Statement on Brendan Rodgers, new Liverpool Manager.

« on: Today at 04:59:27 PM »

Brendan Rodgers is the new manager of Liverpool.

We at RAWK have always firmly believed that one of the strengths of being a Liverpool supporter is that we support the manager. We welcome him to our club and sincerely hope he understands the culture and history and requirements of one being manager at Liverpool Football Club, one of the major jobs in the world of football.

There may be some fans on here who did not wish for his appointment, perhaps preferring any number of other candidates. Let us make one thing clear: We support our manager. Full stop. If any of you are unable to do that, you will find yourselves looking for another fansite to post on. Liverpool supporters are meant to do things the right way and make no mistake, we will remove persistent whingers, moaners, nostalgists and petty posters from this site without a second thought.

Welcome Brendan, you've a bloody big pair of boots to fill. Good luck and welcome and all the best from us at RAWK

Apologies for the Shankly typo, supposed to be working here and typing at 100 miles an hour when nobody is looking.

Huge, huge gamble by FSG and exactly the opposite of what we need right now in my opinion. We don't need "Unproven", "Could be", "Might do", we need a proven winner who will come in and shake the fucking club up from top to bottom. I've looked at Rodgers record and I just don't see what he's achieved for him to end up at Liverpool Football Club.

Hodgson was a shocker but he'd just beaten Juventus amongst others, reached a european final with a horribly mediocre team and was a media darling. Can't stand the man but I can see why people could make a case for him.

When it comes to the new season I'll be behind Rodgers 100%, going the games and buying all the shit the club churns out for the kids. However, I'm worried. If this goes wrong it's unthinkable that yet again we start looking for another manager.

Would be more than happy to be very, very wrong about Rodgers and FSG.

No problem mate.

It's just a pet hate of mine.

How the fuck can you call him a 'yes man' when he initially turned down an interview and made FSG do the running?

Theres no way he is a yes man you can tell he has got something about him,im happy to tell you the truth,i even think that the dof role will be watered down cause i carnt see him just going along with it

Rodgers represents a new, younger era for the club and I wish him well. I do not think that he us an upgrade on Martinez, but is certainly worth a go.

He arrives at a good time. We haven’t qualified for the EL by league position for two years, we had our worst home record for half a century, ended up joint 8th/9th and have some expensive players who are not being played to their strengths. Frankly, you don’t need to be Mourinho to improve on that, and I have every confidence that Rodgers will , as Martinez would have done.

It’s a step into the unknown, but it’s a step forwards, not back.

I do hope that we get Van Gaal in, the club is desperately weak on football experience at the top, and he would provide that as Sporting Director. Rodgers time at Chelsea showed him what an elite football club set up looked like at first hand, at Swansea he has had a chance to put it into practise and has done well.

I set him no goals other than to improve on last year’s league position and points total, to get us playing the right way, and to instil a sense of professionalism whereby every game counts, not just the ones the players can be arsed to be up for. I think he will do that.

Guest Ronin47

Swansea Confirm on web site

Swansea City statement

Posted on: Wed 30 May 2012

A statement from Swansea City chairman Huw Jenkins:

"I was contacted by Liverpool last night and they expressed their wish to speak to Brendan regarding their vacancy.

"I had a discussion with Brendan to talk about their interest and his views on whether he wanted to speak to Liverpool.

"He expressed his wish with me to do that and he has spoken to Liverpool today.

"Following on from discussions with Liverpool's owners, Brendan has informed us that he would like to take up their offer to manage Liverpool.

Article continues

Advertisement

"At the moment we are currently in talks with the owners to agree compensation.

"We are trying to finalise that within the next 24 hours.

"Although we are very disappointed to lose such a talented, young British manager, we didn't wish to stand in his way.

"As always at Swansea City, we want people working here who are fully committed to the task ahead.

"We wish Brendan every success in the future.

"We will always remain good friends and we thank him for all his hard work and passion at this football club over the past two years.

"We shall now refocus and quickly start the process of finding his replacement to continue the great work Brendan has carried out at this football club."

Swansea City | News | Latest | Latest | Swansea City statement

Good luck to him. I hope he does really well here.

Admittedly, I don't know vast amounts about Rodgers. I'll start with the positives. What i've read about him has been promising and encouraging. He seems to work thoroughly and has a great desire to succeed. You feel a real sense of hunger and ambition in his words. Its also promising that he has worked around and within a top class manager in Mourinho at a club which, at the time, lived to win. Its a mentality which he has seemingly adopted - in that he puts his team out to win the game, as opposed to not losing it. Its the last point which, for me, puts him poles apart from Roy Hodgson. Such a comparison is lazy. Rodgers' humility and desire couldn't be more of a contrast next to Roy's arrogant, defeatist attitude.

The truth is, though - this is a massive gamble. A gamble I don't think the Americans should have taken right now. I understand the importance of hiring a manager on his ability and not his name, and I believe its a sensible approach. What FSG seem to have discounted, though, is the value of experience and reputation. Rodgers' lack of the former may become a problem. Managing Liverpool is not like managing any other club. Rodgers' lack of the latter will definitely be a hurdle, at least. Attracting and keeping top quality players will be hard. The advantages to hiring a manager like Van Gaal is that their reputation proceeds them - a reputation for success.

I'm all for drastic changes and by god do we need them. However, I don't think making drastic changes necessarily means hiring unproven managers. Let's see how he does. I think we'll all be behind him.

The missus just walked in to the room, and I said "Brendan Rodgers". She said "manager of Liverpool?", and I nodded.

She shrugged and said "what the fuck?", and walked out again.

Being a Saints fan, I suppose she's at least relieved we didn't take Adkins.

Brendan Rodgers is the absolute antithesis of Hodgson. To compare them in any ways is a massive insult

Rodgers is a progressive manager, keen to learn, which is why in various stages of his development, he's gone to spend time with Barcelona and Ajax to learn their coaching methods. He continues to do this, and will be spending a few days with Spain at their pre Euro 2012 training camp in Austria. "Spain have been a great model for me over many years, so I always take the chance where I can to travel and understand new methods,"

The abomination that is Hodgson is, despite being repeatedly told he's some sort of intellectual who reads a lot, whoopdidoo, fails to see beyond the stale turgid 'tactics' he has stuck to loyally for 36 years of mediocrity. An intellectual person would be one who would acknowledge their shortcomings and then by further reading and research, aim to try find a way to improve and envelop themselves.

This appears to be the case of what Rodgers id doing and continues to do as he develops as a coach. Hodgson on the other hand has this dogged entrenched view that he will do what he has done for years upon years, even though it's won him fuck all. He may see the England job as being vindication for his methods, just as he thought that being appointed manager of Liverpool as his 'reward' for his many years of service to the game and that was his entitlement.

Rodgers is aware of the history and has already had experience of the Kop when they applauded his Swansea team off the field after the draw in November. I'm pretty sure that will not be lost on him and will attempt to form a good relationship with the fans from the start. He's been impressive in his pre and post match interviews for Swansea, so I don't expect him to come in and start putting his two feet in his mouth and insulting the club and fans every time he opens it, as Hodgson did.

It's undoubtedly a big gamble on the part of the owners. But they've gone for a man whose style of play is in keeping with our greatest days: possession and pressing. He's got big boots to fill, so let's give him all the support he needs to help him do his job and restore us to to a team to be admired and feared in equal measure.

The naysayers, doubters and even the cautiously pessimistic can pour scorn on what I've said in the previous paragraph as being too far too quick. I'm not saying it's going to be quick, and in fact I'm not even saying it's going to happen at all. What I am saying is that it's a gamble, but a measured one from FSG and one they have faith and belief in, because it is in their interest as well as ours for this to be a success.

It's time for something new at Anfield. Lets see what he can bring and have us looking forward rather than looking back all the time.

• Upvote 1

Not been impressed with the way the club has been going about its business recently, but that's not the fault of the new manager. It's done now, he's ours, and he has to have the time and the freedom and the support of everyone at the club to do his job. The fact that he's not Kenny and not anyone else we might have fancied will get set aside and we'll do what we always do.

I'm an optimist, me. Can't help it. I lift my lunchtime pint to a bright future. Welcome to Liverpool.

What FSG seem to have discounted, though, is the value of experience and reputation. Rodgers' lack of the former may become a problem. Managing Liverpool is not like managing any other club. Rodgers' lack of the latter will definitely be a hurdle, at least. Attracting and keeping top quality players will be hard.

Outside of the Red half of Liverpool, Kenny was no draw on the playing side, he had been out of the game for as long as many players entire playing careers.

I agree that reputation counts. But we could not pull the big hitters, and sometimes you can get a better response from making players believe they can be part of something. Rodgers professionalism, and his belief in playing the game the right way will go down well.

Whatever happened to the notion of having to qualify for a job? I applied for a job at Time Magazine once, I didn't get it, and rightly so.

You don't find it heartening to think that while some in HR may have been shaking their heads, there was one guy saying "How many Pulitzers had Woodward won before he joined the Post?"

Outside of the Red half of Liverpool, Kenny was no draw on the playing side, he had been out of the game for as long as many players entire playing careers.

I agree that reputation counts. But we could not pull the big hitters, and sometimes you can get a better response from making players believe they can be part of something. Rodgers professionalism, and his belief in playing the game the right way will go down well.

You dont think Van Gaal and Capello are big hitters? Both would have taken the job without the sporting director/dof.

Guest davelfc
RAWK Statement on Brendan Rodgers, new Liverpool Manager.

« on: Today at 04:59:27 PM »

Brendan Rodgers is the new manager of Liverpool.

There may be some fans on here who did not wish for his appointment, perhaps preferring any number of other candidates. Let us make one thing clear: We support our manager. Full stop. If any of you are unable to do that, you will find yourselves looking for another fansite to post on. Liverpool supporters are meant to do things the right way and make no mistake, we will remove persistent whingers, moaners, nostalgists and petty posters from this site without a second thought.

Can everyone just budge over please, another bucket of tards incoming.

Brendan Rodgers is the absolute antithesis of Hodgson. To compare them in any ways is a massive insult

Rodgers is a progressive manager' date=' keen to learn, which is why in various stages of his development, he's gone to spend time with Barcelona and Ajax to learn their coaching methods. He continues to do this, and will be spending a few days with Spain at their pre Euro 2012 training camp in Austria. "Spain have been a great model for me over many years, so I always take the chance where I can to travel and understand new methods,"

The abomination that is Hodgson is, despite being repeatedly told he's some sort of intellectual who reads a lot, whoopdidoo, fails to see beyond the stale turgid 'tactics' he has stuck to loyally for 36 years of mediocrity. An intellectual person would be one who would acknowledge their shortcomings and then by further reading and research, aim to try find a way to improve and envelop themselves.

This appears to be the case of what Rodgers id doing and continues to do as he develops as a coach. Hodgson on the other hand has this dogged entrenched view that he will do what he has done for years upon years, even though it's won him fuck all. He may see the England job as being vindication for his methods, just as he thought that being appointed manager of Liverpool as his 'reward' for his many years of service to the game and that was his entitlement.

Rodgers is aware of the history and has already had experience of the Kop when they applauded his Swansea team off the field after the draw in November. I'm pretty sure that will not be lost on him and will attempt to form a good relationship with the fans from the start. He's been impressive in his pre and post match interviews for Swansea, so I don't expect him to come in and start putting his two feet in his mouth and insulting the club and fans every time he opens it, as Hodgson did.

It's undoubtedly a big gamble on the part of the owners. But they've gone for a man whose style of play is in keeping with our greatest days: possession and pressing. He's got big boots to fill, so let's give him all the support he needs to help him do his job and restore us to to a team to be admired and feared in equal measure.

The naysayers, doubters and even the cautiously pessimistic can pour scorn on what I've said in the previous paragraph as being too far too quick. I'm not saying it's going to be quick, and in fact I'm not even saying it's going to happen at all. What I am saying is that it's a gamble, but a measured one from FSG and one they have faith and belief in, because it is in their interest as well as ours for this to be a success.

It's time for something new at Anfield. Lets see what he can bring and have us looking forward rather than looking back all the time.[/quote']

Good post. Someone rep this man.

It's time for something new at Anfield. Lets see what he can bring and have us looking forward rather than looking back all the time.

I agree.

Fortunately for him he also has the advantage of a playing record from last year for the Club which he should have little trouble beating.

Guest davelfc

I think we should have gone for a manager with CL experience, especially if that's our aim. No point in sulking or going all negative, we haven't even kicked a ball yet under him and he could well surprise a lot of people.

None of us know how he will do, we could have appointed a higher profile more experienced manager and he might not have succeeded.

It's not going to be easy for Rodgers, he has several ghosts over his shoulder and a simmering anger in the fanbase from the sacking of Kenny. The way to beat all of that is to win, win and win again. Only the trolls moan then and nobody takes much notice of them.

Oh and I think nearly all of the fanbase will support any new manager, but it takes deeds to gain the trust and confidence of your support not nice words.