You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Go fuck yourselves FSG

Neil G

1 hour ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Comparatively, Dubai isn't that rich. Abu Dhabi, Qatar, and Saudi Arabia have vastly more wealth to throw around. Qatar is rich as fuck. Shame they own Paris Saint Germain. Kuwait has a massive - and I do mean massive - investment fund. 

Country Fund Name Fund Type Assets Under Management (AUM)
Norway Government Pension Fund Global SWF $1.3 trillion
U.S. Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund Mutual fund $1.3 trillion
China China Investment Corporation SWF $1.2 trillion
Kuwait Kuwait Investment Authority SWF $693 billion
United Arab Emirates Abu Dhabi Investment Authority SWF $649 billion
Hong Kong SAR Hong Kong Monetary Authority Investment Portfolio SWF $581 billion
Singapore Government of Singapore Investment Corporation SWF $545 billion
Singapore Temasek SWF $484 billion
China National Council for Social Security Fund SWF $447 billion
Saudi Arabia Public Investment Fund of Saudi Arabia SWF $430 billion
U.S. State Street SPDR S&P 500 ETF Trust ETF $391 billion
United Arab Emirates Investment Corporation of Dubai SWF $302 billion

This all seems like a bit of a donkey dick measuring contest though doesn't It, because any of those funds are far richer than the ones we have now. We don't need somebody to come in and spend 1Bn on us, let alone 302Bn.

I

3 minutes ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

This all seems like a bit of a donkey dick measuring contest though doesn't It, because any of those funds are far richer than the ones we have now. We don't need somebody to come in and spend 1Bn on us, let alone 302Bn.

I

These are assets under control, not 'money available to spend on transfers at Liverpool', of course. For me it would be about finding a buyer with the right attitude to making us the best. City owners only accept the best in everything they do. That's what we need if we want to compete and overtake. It's also about finding somebody with a human rights record that isn't abhorrent. 

Controversial to many on here but I think they've been good owners. Some real shady cunts tried to buy us from Tom & Jerry.

FSG came in, stabilised us, kept us at Anfield and redeveloped the stadium. They hired Klopp and we've won every single trophy you can win as a club side in their time. Some of their decisions took us back to the very top and becoming arguably the best club side in the world again.

Many would say without Klopp none of that happens, but they sacked a manager who got us 2nd place and the closest we'd been to a league title in 25 years. They introduced moneyball, which people laughed at first but it's been fantastic for us. 

What's to say any of that happens if someone else bought us from Hicks & Gillette? Who would they have hired & fired?

I'm no FSG fanboy, they could/should have spent more money to keep us ahead but they have still been good owners.

Be careful what you wish for, the next owners might be alot richer but that doesn't mean they'll make the right decisions.

• Upvote 19

14 minutes ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

You lot are comparing selling to another owner to leaving your kids with a child killer. You’re not only sensitive, you’re a bunch of fucking looneys. 

Nope. Not me. Double down all you like lad, I just thought your post was off.

The sort of thing a 'fucking looney' might think was ok really.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

Genuine question here as I'm not as clued up on the gulf states, but why wouldn't they be able to compete? There's only so much money you can sink into a football club year on year, and they'd only need to be able to afford a transfer kitty. The difference is, unlike Man City, we are genuinely commercially sound, and bring in some of the best revenues ever seen in premier league history.

We have far greater gate receipts (legitimate ones I mean), far greater international draw, far more brand appeal, we are generally a far more robust investment.  

Isn't the Abu Dhabi leader the supreme leader of all of the UAE, so what he says goes? So I don't think it's just a question of swinging fincial dicks, it's also a question of royal and political positioning. 

The eye fluttering towards all these Qatari/Saudi Arabian/Abu Dhabi rights abusing cunts was gross when it was happening at PSG/Newcastle and Man City. The fact there's a growing movement of it happening amongst our fan base, whether it's just twitter or otherwise, is pretty sad.

It makes all the hand wringing over ticket prices and super leagues and this is Liverpool wring a bit hollow

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

The eye fluttering towards all these Qatari/Saudi Arabian/Abu Dhabi rights abusing cunts was gross when it was happening at PSG/Newcastle and Man City. The fact there's a growing movement of it happening amongst our fan base, whether it's just twitter or otherwise, is pretty sad.

It makes all the hand wringing over ticket prices and super leagues and this is Liverpool wring a bit hollow

For clarity, I was in favour of a Super League. The dirty oiler cheats have ruined football and those in charge of football aren't willing to do anything about it, so the only way to do anything is to withdraw the super clubs and make a different league with caps. Now that's dead, we either play the game or we lose. Football is dead, so sell it to the highest bidder with the most money. Oil cheating has become the normal rule-set. 

I don't WANT any of this to happen. I want a properly regulated, strong governing body. But, ya know, that ain't happening. 

• Upvote 3

Just now, Numero Veinticinco said:

For clarity, I was in favour of a Super League. The dirty oiler cheats have ruined football and those in charge of football aren't willing to do anything about it, so the only way to do anything is to withdraw the super clubs and make a different league with caps. Now that's dead, we either play the game or we lose. Football is dead, so sell it to the highest bidder with the most money. Oil cheating has become the normal rule-set. 

Sorry wasn't aimed at any one person, just a general summary of the comments under videos talking about this news, twitter, seeing the reaction of fans at the likes of Newcastle and City when it happened to them.

• Upvote 1

What needs remembering as well, is that even if we miss out on CL this year, we’d be back in soon enough even if we’re finishing outside the top 4, due to the way they’re revamping the competition to allow in two clubs who didn’t qualify based on recent results in the competition. 

We’ve been in three finals in five years, and could very well make that four in six this season. 

14 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Isn't the Abu Dhabi leader the supreme leader of all of the UAE, so what he says goes? So I don't think it's just a question of swinging fincial dicks, it's also a question of royal and political positioning. 

I think Newcastles owner is the one that's the big boss. Doesn't like journalists.

6 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Some people want their clubs to survive and win regardless. Personally I don't know where I'm at with it all. Funnily enough we were talking about all this on the way up to the match against Napoli last week, which has become more topical then we realised. It's not just a question of the ownership of our club, it's really the whole environment in which the sport now exists. It's there for either billionaires to get richer, or billionaires with appalling ethical backgrounds trying to whitewash their sins and the financial cost is worth it. Is any of it worth it any more to average fans? Is it truly even proper sport when there are just so many people putting their finger on the scales to deliver whatever it is they want out of football?

I know rich owners have always been a thing. But in the past it was all just much of a muchness and nobody there was doing it to get rich on the back of it. They were mostly there for the sport and their ego. The premier League is the worst for that now, but since the advent of the CL, most leagues in Europe have been destroyed and the games very essence has gone. The backlash of the ESL was because there was an idea we were removing some pyramid. But for many right across Europe that went years ago because of the disparity of riches. 

We've all played a part in this along the way, even if it's only our desire to see our sides at the top of the pile. Does it matter at this point which clubs have the Arab owners and don't? All clubs play a part in them existing - we all subscribe the the PL and CL product that justifies their existence in the game. I've said before our owners never wanted them away from the table, because their exit plan relied on them existing. They may not sell to an oil state, but the existence of the oil states helps drive up the price for everyone. 

Personally I'm sick of the whole fucking thing. And while klopp and his team have given me some great days in recent years, the way the sport operates now pretty much makes me sick. Corruption everywhere, FIFA, uefa, national associations, clubs and now the icing on the cake, murderers and human rights abusers. 

• Upvote 4

What would people rather have? 

Sell our values and support a club with shady owners, but we win stuff regularly. 

Or have the club fall away, and we wallow in midtable for eternity and don't win any more trophies. But we can claim the moral high ground and tell everyone how much better we are than them.

Seems like a choice between choosing to be man city, or Everton. 

4 minutes ago, Aventus said:

Sell our values and support a club with shady owners, but we win stuff regularly. 

Or have the club fall away, and we wallow in midtable for eternity and don't win any more trophies. But we can claim the moral high ground and tell everyone how much better we are than them.

Everton have managed to become a hybrid. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Aventus said:

There’s degrees of shady, so it’s not necessarily a black or white question.

However, I’m leaning towards the latter. Particularly if it’s Saudi Arabia levels of shadiness. 

I acknowledge, as someone else did earlier in the thread, that I’m of an age where I’ve seen those things, supporters of other clubs will never see. If I was younger, and we hadn’t shared so much success, I might think differently. 

1 hour ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

Genuine question here as I'm not as clued up on the gulf states, but why wouldn't they be able to compete? There's only so much money you can sink into a football club year on year, and they'd only need to be able to afford a transfer kitty. The difference is, unlike Man City, we are genuinely commercially sound, and bring in some of the best revenues ever seen in premier league history.

We have far greater gate receipts (legitimate ones I mean), far greater international draw, far more brand appeal, we are generally a far more robust investment.  

In addition, when our manager/sporting director have had decent backing (not City level backing) we have actually been the match of, if not better than City. 

I personally don't think we need to spend £100m net every summer but we do need to be able to spend more than we currently are.

44 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Spot on 

Don't worry folks, we're not going to get bought by a wealthy Arab oil kingdom. Look at their past purchases - mediocre clubs that were going nowhere, had won nothing and were cheap to buy, like City and Newcastle. I think PSG cost more because they are the only big club in Paris but they were still a shit club. These Arabs want to show the world how their money can transform shit clubs into the best ones. Buying a club like Liverpool won't give them much to brag about since we're already a massive club with a ton of trophies. We're going to have to settle for American venture capitalists again.

If they go, these owners have left a good legacy.

A premier league title; A European cup; FA cup; League Cup; World Club Trophy; The world's best manager; Main stand extension; Anny road extension; New academy facilities.

Seems to me they were good owners who just needed a sightly improved transfer policy.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

They wouldn't be able to compete because they don't have anywhere near the same wealth as the City or Newcastle owners.

1 hour ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

I don't see why they couldn't compete with them. FFP hasn't stopped financial doping, but it has limited it somewhat. Once you get to a certain level of richness for a club's owners, I'm not sure it matters whether you have 10 billion or twenty. Newcastle aren't going to blow City away, for example.

Its what goes on behind FFP though.

City are allegedly paying Haaland 900k a week in total! 

We know that they were paying Mancini off the books with some sort of consultancy role and the figures City produced yesterday show that its now acceptable for them to make up fake sponsorships for companies that don't exist and include this on the books!  

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Aventus said:

Well, I held onto my seassie when the 'good times' ended in 1990, through the early 2000s up to Jurgen's appointment. I didnt think or expect Jurgen to win us the title and or CL. The fact he has is a bonus.

I dont want shady as fuck owners and winning things when Ive rejected that MO through my time supporting the club. Anything we won under such owners really would have an asterisk against it in my humble.

If the option on the table is shady as fuck owners and winning things or being like we were from 1990 to 2015, with FSG or someone else, I'll stick with the latter.