You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Well?  

258 members have voted

1. 1. Well?

Not sure what I said in this thread before, or how I voted, but it all boils down to how we view the word “legend.” Is it something to be used sparingly, for the very best players? Or is it a word to be used to describe a decent/good player for whom the fans have affection, because they ‘get’ the club, work hard, and so on?

If the former, Kuyt falls short. The legend monicker would be reserved for Kenny, Rush, Barnes, Souness, Hansen, Gerrard, etc.

If the latter, Kuyt is a legend. He was a good player who had big moments, always worked hard, and definitely got what it meant to play for Liverpool.

Maybe the word legend is a bit like “world class.” It can be debated because the term is imprecise?

I really wanted the Scottish lad (forget his name now) to work out in central defence, as we have a great history of Scots in the position, but he wasn’t in that sort of class.

When I see that picture it’s amazing to think that’s where we were just a few years ago.

Danny Wilson. No idea where he ended up.

• Upvote 1

I really wanted the Scottish lad (forget his name now) to work out in central defence, as we have a great history of Scots in the position, but he wasn’t in that sort of class.

When I see that picture it’s amazing to think that’s where we were just a few years ago.

Something new annoys me about that picture every time. Today, it's the way Joe Cole's waistband is halfway up his ribcage.

• Upvote 1

Negged.

Pair of cults.

Kenny Dalglish = Legend

Steven Gerrard = Legend

Ian Rush = Legend

One or two others of this ilk = Legend

Dirk Kuyt = Good player, seemed a great guy. Liked him but not a legend. You’d need a better first touch to be one of them for a start.

Kenny Dalglish = Legend

Steven Gerrard = Legend

Ian Rush = Legend

One or two others of this ilk = Legend

Dirk Kuyt = Good player, seemed a great guy. Liked him but not a legend. You’d need a better first touch to be one of them for a start.

That isn't the reason you were negged.

He isn't a fucking cult hero. The Greek was a cult hero. Biscan was a cult hero. 

Someone that scores 71 goals for the club, often in the biggest of games, from wide right, is not a cult hero. Someone with over a hundred caps for Holland is not a cult hero. Anywhere. 

He obviously doesn't belong to be in the group of players you listed, but he is was an excellent player for the club and doesn't deserved the patronising description of "cult hero".

• Upvote 4

He isn't a fucking cult hero. The Greek was a cult hero. Biscan was a cult hero.

Someone that scores 71 goals for the club, often in the biggest of games, from wide right, is not a cult hero. Someone with over a hundred caps for Holland is not a cult hero. Anywhere.

He obviously doesn't belong to be in the group of players you listed, but he is was an excellent player for the club and doesn't deserved the patronising description of "cult hero".

I don’t use the description to be patronising. He was clearly a better player than those you list but perhaps the parameters for the ‘cult hero’ group are broader than those for our few genuine ‘legends’. For example, I’d have Dirk Kuyt up there at the same level of cult hero as Joey Jones who won a European Cup.

If you want to suggest another group that sits between the two currently under discussion then go for it. It may make me change my assessment.

'His second touch is a tackle' explains why he is a cult hero and a very good player but well short of legend status.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3