You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Not this AGAIN.....

WhiskeyJar

Bad case of the dé·jà vus....

Carroll advised over drinking | Sky Sports | Home | Latest

Carroll advised over drinking

Capello tells Liverpool striker to be careful with his lifestyle

Fabio Capello has told Andy Carroll to curb his drinking habits if he is to fulfil his potential and become an important player for both Liverpool and England.

The former Newcastle striker was named in Capello's squad for the Euro 2012 qualifiers against Bulgaria and Wales but he did not feature in Sofia due to concerns over his fitness.

The 22-year-old is in contention to face Wales at Wembley on Tuesday after a couple of 'fantastic' training sessions, with Capello stressing that Carroll remains an integral part of his plans.

But the England manager believes it is important for all his players to behave responsibly in everyday life and has spoken with Carroll in private to offer him advice about staying in peak condition.

"His style of life is a problem because you need to be careful," Capello said on Sky Sports News. "He is an important player not only for the England team but also for Liverpool.

"I think he understands what he needs to do."

While Capello feels a top-class footballer should drink less than the average person, he denies having ever previously said that Carroll consumes too much alcohol.

"I never said this. I don't know his lifestyle but I never spoke about this," said the Italian.

"I think, if you want to be a good player and a good sportsman, he needs to drink less than the normal."

Asked what he had to say to Carroll, Capello replied: "It is a private message. I have spoken with him and it was a private discussion between two people.

"I think he understands a lot. He is young, we need to help him and speak to him, because he is a really important player."

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why mention it if he thinks he isn't?

Because he was asked?

This is a player who was meant to be first choice number 9 for club and country and through form and fitness has managed to elevate himself to a 35 million pound bit part player who's teams look better when he's not playing.

He needs to get up to speed fast and then people will stop asking questions

Carrol just aint fit end of..................

He needs to get in the gym an hour earlier than everyone else and get fitter.

Theres a reason why he aint playing at the moment for club and country.

He needs to become more dedicated or he'll waste his big chance.

Capello is right, he's not his club manager so he gets to say what he likes.

Kenny of course will only try and protect our £35m investment and rightly so.

I have to agree with Cardie here. Im all for giving Carroll time but he has to be time spent productively. Capello was asked a direct question and gave an answer.

That's the point - he really didn't. He's just using the oldest trick in the book from American presidential races: "I'm not saying my opponent is fucking pigs, however, if he were to fuck pigs he wouldn't be fit to be president."

It's tacky, classless and cowardly.

That's the point - he really didn't. He's just using the oldest trick in the book from American presidential races: "I'm not saying my opponent is fucking pigs, however, if he were to fuck pigs he wouldn't be fit to be president."

It's tacky, classless and cowardly.

The way I see it.

I want Carroll to improve, but I want Liverpool to be the beneficiaries of that improvement. Fuck England.

Dalglish will get the best from Carroll. And that will be achieved without publicly casting doubts on the player's lifestyle and without inviting mediocre and malicious journalists to speculate on a specious issue.

Again - fuck England!

This was on ESPN this morning. Capello having a pop at Carroll is one thing but Terry joining in is unbelievable. If you need a role model that's a cheating Pikey with an extra chromosome he's your man Andy.

I'm the right role model for Carroll - Terry

22573.2.jpg

Chelsea captain John Terry believes Andy Carroll should look to follow his example, after Fabio Capello criticised the Liverpool striker for his excessive drinking.

Last week Capello chastised Carroll, saying that "he's a good forward ... but he needs to improve, to drink less" after being unimpressed with the imposing forward's fitness and form after he joined up with the England camp for the two qualifiers against Bulgaria and Wales.

But Terry, who has his own history of notable and high profile mistakes, believes that he is evidence that players can mature over time - and hopes he can be a role model for the 22-year-old as his own career develops.

"He's a young player who's at a very good club with a really good future," Terry said. "He has still got to enjoy his time away from football. I'm sure he will.

"He's a really good pro on the pitch and good around the camp. I've made my mistakes, maybe drunk a little bit too much when I was younger and gone out a little bit too much. "But, having gone through that, at 26 or 27 you maybe look back and are glad you did it then because you don't want to do it now."

Oh my days.

This is getting a bit silly now, it's obviously open season on Carroll and they want him to break down and admit his addiction, a la Merson.

What a set of pricks.

I bet Andy wishes he could opt to play for Ireland or Scotland now, he doesn't owe this shower of shit anything.

See you at the Bridge, let's see how unfit our Andy is then, with this shit ringing in his ears.

Nothing to do with a conspiracy, if he starts playing well the talk will stop.

Agree with this, score goals and all this talking will stop. A bit simplistic maybe, but that's the way it is. Rightly or wrongly, you don't get much time to settle in when you cost £35 million.

John Terry can fuck right off though, who does he think he is giving off the field advice.

I don't know what the lad's up to off the pitch (and I doubt that Fabio Capello does either) so he can fuck off and so can England.

That said, this is probably the most important season in Andy Carroll's career and like others have said, if the goals start coming then this kind of bullshit stops, simple as that.

I have my own opinions on Andy Carroll but I'll suspend them for now and just hope he makes the necessary improvements that we're all hoping for.