You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Strike Action

Sugar Ape

I'd be staggered if any doctor really does what they do for money, certainly anyone working in the NHS. Just look at the opportunities they have to make dollar. Private practice, plastic surgery, every single country in the world wanting you to come and work there, why in the name of hell would you work at Salfrod Royal Infirmary for 20 hours getting your head kicked in by some pisshead if you were in it for the money? Staggers me how easily people in this country fall for the constant stream of ad hominem attacks our media perpetrates on entire professions. It was teachers not so long ago, let's not stand up for their wage and pensions rights because they get six weeks off in the summer, now there's a teacher crisis and everyone is crying the blues because they can't get their little angels into their primary school of choice. Absolute morons everywhere. 

• Upvote 8

I'd be staggered if any doctor really does what they do for money, certainly anyone working in the NHS. Just look at the opportunities they have to make dollar. Private practice, plastic surgery, every single country in the world wanting you to come and work there, why in the name of hell would you work at Salfrod Royal Infirmary for 20 hours getting your head kicked in by some pisshead if you were in it for the money? Staggers me how easily people in this country fall for the constant stream of ad hominem attacks our media perpetrates on entire professions. It was teachers not so long ago, let's not stand up for their wage and pensions rights because they get six weeks off in the summer, now there's a teacher crisis and everyone is crying the blues because they can't get their little angels into their primary school of choice. Absolute morons everywhere.

It's easy, all you have to do is work hard.

Every Dr I've met has been fucking sharp and brilliant. My wife nearly died in childbirth and her life was saved by someone I didn't even meet. Izzy had a couple of scares when she was a baby and the Drs that looked after her were incredible - how the fuck do they tell what's wrong with a bundle that can't speak? Then do it for 70 hrs a week for less money than I get for twatting about with gas.

For anyone to say it's easy is beyond belief and shows them up again to be an uber-cunt.

• Upvote 2

This.

Nailed it once again S31.

It's a complex relationship with any long-term consultant/multi-disciplinary team for a chronic illness. Ultimately my being alive depends on me working together with mine whether I like/agree with them or not (some very much, some less so) so I pick my battles while trying to manage them in managing my health. It's a three-legged race with people you often don't want to be tied to, but such is life. You do need a little bit of humility and self-awareness yourself like; that helps in realising it's not always them who are the problem.

Over the best part of forty years I've met some spectacularly arrogant doctors. One recently took around a year and a half of disagreeing about something with me each time I went in to clinic before he relented, then when the (much less toxic than his suggestion) medication and referral I'd been pushing for made all the difference provided an apology I was very surprised to receive for some things he'd said throughout, with our obvious mutual coldness greatly reduced since. He still now tries to claim it was his suggestion all along, and I've had to correct him when he did so more times than I'm prepared to ignore.

I've met numerous others though, especially when I was a kid/teenager, who've spotted things I'm doing wrong or which aren't helping myself early on and tirelessly continued to broach them non-judgementally, then when I've finally wised up and changed my ways have never for a moment been smug or given it the I told you so.

Others have helped me way above and beyond in numerous ways, and since retiring or going on to other work still text or email every once in a while to say hello, ask how I'm doing or request a bit of patient advice for someone they know, to clarify about a book we once discussed that's relevant to the situation, or similar.

As with everything involving people, with the exception of them all having handwriting as pretentious as Bob Dylan's singing voice live, doctors are an extremely mixed bag personality-wise, and any attempt to be reductionist in pigeon-holing them reflects on the person doing so; either through limited life experience presented as definitive observations and/or their own poor attitude.

Being a doctor is an extremely difficult job, partly due to their hours but also and especially what they're made up of. The responsibility so many of their decisions and actions holds ensure that, plus like a goalkeeper any mistakes they make will always be etched in stone while the multitude of things they get right is often written in the sand of people's memories. It's not like they can just completely switch off to the weight of those decisions.

I've worked many shit minimum wage jobs and realistically, if I made a mistake in one of those the wider impact was negligible. Imagine being a doctor in an emergency situation, or where someone under their care with a chronic condition suddenly becomes life-threateningly acute. I've seen mine in just those circumstances a number of times, it's hugely impressive.

Easiest thing in the world to be an internet know-all who downplays other people's achievements and skills with "I could do that if I wanted to."

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Every doctor I've met has been arrogant beyond belief and not particularly good at understanding chronic conditions.

You can't generalise though.

Although in fairness if I had a serious condition, I'd demand to see an Oriental consultant with a dickibow. That's Hippocratic heaven right there.

This country is utterly, utterly, utterly fucked. I've decided I'm moving to a place called Denmark south of Perth (not really but I want to, or an island).

I'm not sure you'd get on with most of them there Mark.  Most Perth based Aussies have opinions that would make a S*n reader blanch. It's hillbilly country.

Yes. The entire medical and pharmaceutical industry working for a profit motive instead of wanting to heal people.

People's individual motives are normally good. Most doctors want to make people well and most people in the pharmaceutical industry want to develop new medicines to cure disease.

The problem is when you let the few greedy psychos take over the whole system.

• Upvote 1

People's individual motives are normally good. Most doctors want to make people well and most people in the pharmaceutical industry want to develop new medicines to cure disease.

Couldn't agree more, on the Doctors' side anyway.

Interesting test-case today, which could have important implications for the hundreds of thousands of underpaid, exploited workers who are falsely classified as "self-employed".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36103978

Four bicycle couriers are taking their companies to a tribunal in a bid to get employed workers' rights, including paid holidays and the minimum wage.

If successful, the case could have a huge impact on the growing number of workers who are being wrongly categorised as self-employed.

The couriers are considered self-employed contractors despite working for one firm for about 50 hours a week.

The courier companies say the tribunal claims are unfounded.

The often-long working day of a London courier involves weaving through the city's crowded and congested streets in the saddle covering 60 to 70 miles, to be normally paid between £2 and £3 per delivery, depending on distance.

At the employment tribunal, the four London couriers will seek a declaration that they are either "employed" or "workers", which would entitle them to benefits and rights...

The couriers are taking Excel, as well as City Sprint, Addison Lee and eCourier, to an employment tribunal with the support of their union, the Independent Workers Union of Great Britain.

The union's president, Jason Moyer-Lee, said: "Employers are taking advantage of the power imbalance and forcing the couriers to accept a job with zero employment rights.

"The couriers should be like all other workers and have the right to the minimum wage and paid holidays, among other things."

If the tribunal supports their view, it could prove to be a landmark case.

An estimated 4.8 million people in the UK are self-employed, and the TUC said it has seen a growing number of industries, from hairdressing to food production, choosing to categorise workers as self-employed.

However, a survey by Citizens Advice last August suggested that as many as 460,000 people could be "bogusly self-employed", and therefore would be missing out on all of the rights that an employed person is entitled to.

I wish I lived in a world where such naivety didn't have disastrous consequences.
  • Downvote 1

NEWS

UK NEWS

JUNIOR DOCTORS STRIKE

Angry woman booed by Question Time audience after bizarre rant against junior doctors

01:08, 22 APR 2016 UPDATED 01:08, 22 APR 2016 BY MIKEY SMITH

The angry lady went on a good long rant about how junior doctors are all in it for the money, and put patients at risk by doing loads of overtime to grab cash. The audience disagreed.

An angry woman's furious and bizarre rant against 'greedy' junior doctors earned her some angry boos from the audience on Question Time .

The audience member into the debate on the junior doctors strike , interrupting a junior doctor, who was explaining that the public are on the side of the striking doctors.

She began began ranting: "Nobody makes you work extra hours. You opt in for it. I'm sorry, it's absolute rubbish."

She claimed she used to work in A&E, before declaring that "in any job" you opt in or out of overtime.

She went on to make the astonishing claim that overworked junior doctors are just in it for the money - which did not go down well with the rest of the audience.

She said: "They do 79 hours because they push at the weekend because they want more money. It's true."

"You can't force anybody to do over the 50 hours a week. They choose to physically do it. They put the patients at risk themselves."

"I'm sorry, it's all about money and it's wrong."

She then drifted into a bizarre argument comparing junior doctors legally withdrawing their labour to soldiers going AWOL.

"Anybody who goes AWOL should be sacked," she fumed. "If you was in the military you'd be arrested for going AWOL."

As the atmosphere in the room turned decidedly frosty, and people started to boo, she remonstrated: "...no....no..."

She went on: "The NHS don't want them going off work. They are technically going AWOL. They are not turning up for their shifts, making people anxious by cancelling appointments. It's their choice."

"I'm sorry, anybody else in any other job would be sacked for that."

For the record...

It is illegal to sack any worker who takes part in legally organised and balloted industrial action.

The junior doctors dispute has nothing to do with overtime. Doctors are striking because the Department of Health want to pay them less for hours they're mandated to do.

Saturday day times and the hours between 7pm and 10pm on weekdays are to be reclassified as "core hours" under the new contract, which means they'll be paid at a lower rate.

Doctors also argue the removal of financial penalties for employers who subject trainees to "fatiguing" working patterns could lead to hours being driven up, which would put patients at risk.

NEWS

UK NEWS

JUNIOR DOCTORS STRIKE

Angry woman booed by Question Time audience after bizarre rant against junior doctors

01:08, 22 APR 2016 UPDATED 01:08, 22 APR 2016 BY MIKEY SMITH

The angry lady went on a good long rant about how junior doctors are all in it for the money, and put patients at risk by doing loads of overtime to grab cash. The audience disagreed.

An angry woman's furious and bizarre rant against 'greedy' junior doctors earned her some angry boos from the audience on Question Time .

The audience member into the debate on the junior doctors strike , interrupting a junior doctor, who was explaining that the public are on the side of the striking doctors.

She began began ranting: "Nobody makes you work extra hours. You opt in for it. I'm sorry, it's absolute rubbish."

She claimed she used to work in A&E, before declaring that "in any job" you opt in or out of overtime.

She went on to make the astonishing claim that overworked junior doctors are just in it for the money - which did not go down well with the rest of the audience.

She said: "They do 79 hours because they push at the weekend because they want more money. It's true."

"You can't force anybody to do over the 50 hours a week. They choose to physically do it. They put the patients at risk themselves."

"I'm sorry, it's all about money and it's wrong."

She then drifted into a bizarre argument comparing junior doctors legally withdrawing their labour to soldiers going AWOL.

"Anybody who goes AWOL should be sacked," she fumed. "If you was in the military you'd be arrested for going AWOL."

As the atmosphere in the room turned decidedly frosty, and people started to boo, she remonstrated: "...no....no..."

She went on: "The NHS don't want them going off work. They are technically going AWOL. They are not turning up for their shifts, making people anxious by cancelling appointments. It's their choice."

"I'm sorry, anybody else in any other job would be sacked for that."

For the record...

It is illegal to sack any worker who takes part in legally organised and balloted industrial action.

The junior doctors dispute has nothing to do with overtime. Doctors are striking because the Department of Health want to pay them less for hours they're mandated to do.

Saturday day times and the hours between 7pm and 10pm on weekdays are to be reclassified as "core hours" under the new contract, which means they'll be paid at a lower rate.

Doctors also argue the removal of financial penalties for employers who subject trainees to "fatiguing" working patterns could lead to hours being driven up, which would put patients at risk.

I watched this last night. People like her make me more militant. I'd have been perfectly happy with someone lopping her head off.

Guest Pistonbroke

I see yesterday the doctors were talking of an indefinite walkout. This is a massively important issue. They cave to Hunt and they will step up even further the attack on teachers and other civil servants. They need to win this.

If they stick to their guns they will.