You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Do you agree with euthanasia?

lifetime fan

• 2 years later...

If you believe that individuals have sovereignty over their own bodies, then there isn't really a coherent argument against it.

Opposition typically comes from those who believe we are mere pawns who are subject to the whims of some superior being.

It's not a decision I envy anyone, but when the time comes, it should be theirs and theirs alone to make.

• Upvote 7

It's a very grey area mate, definations of assisted suicide and euthanisia are open to debate. I agree anyone with capacity should have their views respected.

I am fully aware there are large areas were we need to be extremely vigilant ragarding peoples wishes but that shouldn't stop us.

This is a difficult topic, isn't it?

Because there are arguments and counter-arguments at every turn.

Some based on "faith", others based on "enlightenment", for want of much better terms.

"Capacity", for example?

In the often melancholic, stressful and bleak circumstances surrounding a possible instance of euthanasia, what is classified as mental stability and might the judgment call made about it end up being a subjective one, open to interpretation and dispute?

Do I agree with euthanasia or not? 

I honestly really couldn't say, and hope I don't appear invertebrate by admitting as much.

Patronising twat.

What medicines I take has as much to do with you as what colour I paint my living room. The only potential area for contention I see is when the state decides on someone's behalf.

I thought this was about opinions on whether we agree with euthanasia or not.

Is there a right or wrong answer, is there?

Then why have the thread?

And when did I say other people's business had anything to do with me?

Take your anger, one-dimensionality, sanctimony and abuse elsewhere, mate.

I was just joining in the conversation and not meaning any offence.

I genuinely do envy people who see this issue with clarity, because I don't.

You conclude "patronising" and "twat" from a genuine remark I make, that's your problem.

• Upvote 1

Patronising twat.

What medicines I take has as much to do with you as what colour I paint my living room. The only potential area for contention I see is when the state decides on someone's behalf.

I thought this was about opinions on whether we agree with euthanasia or not.

Is there a right or wrong answer, is there?

Then why have the thread?

And when did I say other people's business had anything to do with me?

Take your anger, one-dimensionality, sanctimony and abuse elsewhere, mate.

I was just joining in the conversation and not meaning any offence.

I genuinely do envy people who see this issue with clarity, because I don't.

You conclude "patronising" and "twat" from a genuine remark I make, that's your problem.

Rico, I think I was as surprised by your response as Skaro. What did you find so patronising in his comments?

Mmm, maybe I was a little harsh, I've been up all night with a toddler with chicken pox (not that in planning on sending her to dignitas). I just thought that it sounded patronising and implied he had some insight I didn't. Hey ho, sorry if I offended you.

I think the rest of us were a bit taken aback.

Sympathy over the chicken pox, though. J ended up in hospital with it as a tiny tot