You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Torres mega-thread

cole7

People like Coro predictably blaming Purslow for inserting the transfer 'clause' need to answer one question. If that was the only way to have kept Fernando last summer -ie that he insisted on having a get-out in case things didn't improve - was it worth it? Or would you rather have sold him for £30m last year and allowed hicks and gillett to pocket the proceeds? Gillett was DESPERATE to sell him to Chelsea as far back as 2009.

I also find it strange that the same folk who criticise Purslow are strongest and loudest in defending FSG. If Purslow was as malign an influence as you think, then why by extension do you trust FSG (whose bid he decided to support)? Surely it's going to prove as disastrous as all the other decisions you think he made in the summer?

Some very odd logic at work on here. Or rather, who needs logic when you can fall back on lazy prejudice?

Great post agree with most of that, but Purslow was cunt only interested in furthering himself.

I remember the days when I'd read the ECHO every day because I was confident that what you'd get would be as close to the truth as possible. Now, it's little more than a gossip column lifted from the days news.

I know what you mean but Kenny said in his book he regretted not using the Echo more to get his message out to the fans, so maybe if he stays we'll see a stronger link between the club and local media.

FSG will undoubtedly sell Torres for the right "value". It's the logic of their way of doing business which we have seen thus far - right "value" for buying the club in the first place; right "value" when bidding for players. It's all a question of what they hold his "value" to be. But my feeling is that they'll agree to sell him in the summer rather than now, when we're more likely to be able to replace with a "right value" player.

I also suspect this is part of a longer-term plan for Chelsea - unsettle him now, remind him they still want him, and finally return in the summer.

Crazy morning this! cant believe what im reading. Really reminds me of when Torres left Athletico to joing us in the first. IF Chelsea bid over £50million then we have to accept. That, combined with the owners throwing in £20million or so would be enough to sign 5 or 6 top quality players. Torres isnt bigger than the club and should be treated that way. I'll be GUTTED if he goes though.. especially to those cunts :telloff:

Stop panicking..... Torres is a man of his word.

this was only 2/3 weeks ago.

Fernando Torres tells Liverpool fans: 'I'm staying but YOU need to remain loyal, too'

Jan 9 2011 by Tom Hopkinson, The People

torreshodgson-pic-225539711.jpg TorresHodgson Pic

FERNANDO TORRES has broken his silence on the Anfield turmoil to plead with fans: Don’t give up on us.

As a bad season turned worse with Wednesday’s defeat at Blackburn, lame duck boss Roy Hodgson paid with his job yesterdaty, ending a painful six-month reign.

Now one of the first tasks for fans’ *favourite Kenny Dalglish will be to help an out-of-sorts Torres *recapture his form.

But while the Spaniard acknowledges the team have not matched the standards expected from Liverpool, he claims there is still time to turn things around.

And in a frank interview, Torres insisted:

● He WILL NOT leave the club in this transfer window;

● That the fans need to GET BEHIND the team now more than ever;

● And that Hodgson should have been given MORE TIME to get things right.

Torres even promised to discuss a *contract extension with Liverpool’s owners NESV at the end of the season – despite continuing rumours that he and the rest of Anfield’s Spanish contingent were still upset at former manager Rafa Benitez’s departure.

The 26-year-old striker quashed *suspicions that he is desperate to desert the sinking Anfield ship and wants Reds fans to remain loyal as well.

He said: “More than ever, we need to stick together. We must live in the present, from match to match.

“We need to add more points, win *matches and improve our standing in the table.

“That is our challenge and I demand the total help of our supporters in doing that.

“My head is in Liverpool and on helping to save our season. I am a professional and I always fulfil my deals.

“I haven’t considered leaving, although in football that always depends on the club.

“Liverpool had a lot of success under Rafa Benitez and that is difficult for *anyone to follow. Even if the ball hasn’t always dropped our way this season, we have missed out in a lot of matches.”

Hodgson knew for weeks that his Anfield *departure was inevitable but Torres insists he should have been given longer to make his mark.

He said: “A new project in just a few months is never easy. At Liverpool, *winning is customary ... but that is also our handicap.

“Who is culpable for our defeats? The coach and the players but it is possible to change things round.

“Our work this season has been *damaged by injuries and the nerves which have been created by our bad results.

“I am in good physical condition and with each game I just want to start scoring more goals again.”

Torres and his new boss can take their minds off the Premier League fight today ... but come up against Manchester United in the FA Cup.

And the Spaniard clings to the hope that *victory could reignite their season.

He said: “Morally, it would be enormous to eliminate United at Old Trafford, *although it will not be easy.”

And the striker, whatever he may say, would love to get one over on Sir Alex Ferguson, after the United boss accused him of trying to get John O’Shea sent off the last time the two sides met.

Torres insisted: “I’m not worried – I am an honest player.”

Fernando Torres tells Liverpool fans: 'I'm staying but YOU need to remain loyal, too' - Football News - Football - Sport - People.co.uk

The bid went in yesterday afternoon so no excuse for Echo not reporting it. The nationals deadline is around 9pm and the bid for Torres made all of them. The Echo seems to just be spouting whatever was in the nationals the day before when it comes to Suarez and Adam. Not impressed.

If you offered me three weeks ago scenario where Keeny returns but we lose Torres...

Id have made that pact.

If we get the right price - he can go. I still think he has sulked most of the season...

Liverpool replaced Rush, they replaced Keegan... they never replaced Dalglish. We have him back. He'll replace Torres on the pitch with a top striker and off the pitch as symbol of club.

Im chilled about this..

Balague hasnt predicted a transfer correctly all season,he was on la liga repeat through the week they asked him about Liverpool transfers and he said basically word for word what was in the papers all week but passed it off as "his knowledge" of the deals he's full of shite who knows fuck all about most transfers let alone this one,what did he do ring Torres last night and ask him? doubt it he's just spouting shite to get himself noticed.

If you offered me three weeks ago scenario where Keeny returns but we lose Torres...

Id have made that pact.

If we get the right price - he can go. I still think he has sulked most of the season...

Liverpool replaced Rush, they replaced Keegan... they never replaced Dalglish. We have him back. He'll replace Torres on the pitch with a top striker and off the pitch as symbol of club.

Im chilled about this..

We replaced Rush and Keegan when we had a winning set-up and could attract the top players in the game. Major difference.

Id have made that pact.

Im chilled about this..

But why do we need this senario??

Whats the point?

Why cant we have both?

why make a senario for no reason?

Yes, because stumping up money for players & agents and taking on massive debts got us into such a big mess in the first place

Some people need a reality check

Jan window is normally a bad time to do business.

I wouldn't blame the owners if they signed no one and waited until the summer where there is more choice and value

I must need a reality check. I thought we was in this mess coz our previous owners shafted us and left us big debts and massive interest payments. I didn't realise it was because they stumped up money for players and agents that gave us that debt. Your Making H&G out as some sort of present day Peter Ridsdale! We've made a profit in the transfer Market the last 2 years & look like doing so this window, we need Suarez to prove to the likes of Torres and the fans (apart from you) we have ambition. So fuck off with your attempted sensible voice of reasoning you knob.

Guest davelfc
Just heard that Torres will be off if the clause is triggered he was promised signing in summer and if he stayed also this window its near the end of the window and still none.. he said he wants out...

Don't shoot the messenger

wicked-bb-gun.jpg

I just heard he's staying, doesn't want to go and the clause is as real as santa.