You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2011 Transfer Window Speculation Thread

StevieH

We paid over the odds for Johnson, but I dont think it would be very smart to let him go now. He can only improve and there's a player in there somewhere.

I agree. I would be disappointed to see Johnson go. He can be lackadaisical at times, but he is a very talented player.

It appears as though Fanni will be joining Marseille.

OM-Fanni : Ca se précise - Ligue 1 2010-2011 - Football - Eurosport

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GLEN JOHNSON TO RACE OFF AS REDS EYE HOT ROD FANNI

216365_1.jpg

Glen Johnson is set to go.

Thursday December 9,2010

By Paul Joyce

commentBubble.gifHave your say(0)

GLEN JOHNSON looks set to quit Liverpool in January, with France defender Rod Fanni ready to reject boyhood club Marseille in order to replace him at Anfield.

England defender Johnson remains poised to leave next month following manager Roy Hodgson’s recent criticism of him, even though the pair have since tried to present a united front.

Tottenham, Bayern Munich and Juventus have all been linked with Johnson and Liverpool have already targeted Rennes right-back Fanni as a potential replacement.

Marseille want to sign the pacey Fanni, 29, and Rennes are trying to use that interest to drive their asking price up to about £4million.

WIN A LUXURY CRUISE FOR TWO WORTH £2,500!

Liverpool director of football strategy, Damien Comolli, rates him at nearer £3m but a deal could be reached if Johnson gets his wish and moves on after just 18 months at the club.

Steven Gerrard, meanwhile, will be eased back into action as Hodgson refuses to rush him back into his starting line-up.

Midfielder Gerrard has been unavailable since tearing his hamstring playing for England against France last month and has missed the last four matches.

Gerrard has an outside chance of making the substitutes’ bench for Saturday’s Premier League game at Newcastle but Hodgson will not take any risks with his captain.

Liverpool’s Europa League campaign continues with a dead rubber at home to Utrecht a week today but, with Gerrard’s appearances in the competition having been restricted this season, his return to action is more likely to come at home against Hodgson’s former club Fulham on December 18. That game precedes a hectic run of four matches in 10 days that could shape Liverpool’s aspirations for the season.

67.gif SEARCH FOOTBALL for:

Hodgson will hope his side’s dreadful away form improves at St James’ Park and will be boosted by the return of Fernando Torres, who missed Monday’s 3-0 win over Aston Villa to be present at the birth of his son.

Charles Itandje has left Liverpool to join Greek club Atromitos on a free transfer having made just seven appearances for the club.

Read more: http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/216365/Glen-Johnson-to-race-off-as-Reds-eye-hot-Rod-Fanni/Glen-Johnson-to-race-off-as-Reds-eye-hot-Rod-Fanni#ixzz17bDexq2s

Hmmmmmm. Tell me more about this luxury cruise?

I think I understand where Fuge is coming from with his dislike for the term "versatile player". More often than not, it describes a player who's a jack of all trades but a master of none. While it's a handy trait to have, they usually end up being outclassed by their opponent and can struggle for consistency. Two things we really don't need to add to the squad.

Bare in mind this is a Alan Nixon 'Exclusive'

Transfer news Liverpool boss Roy Hodgson is ready to raid Aston Villa to sign England star Ashley Young in a £15m Kop coup in the January transfer window. - News - MirrorFootball.co.uk

Liverpool boss Roy Hodgson is ready to raid Aston Villa to sign England star Ashley Young in a major Kop coup in the transfer window.

Hodgson and transfer negotiator Damien Comolli are working on the ambitious project and hope to seal a deal worth £15million for the England winger in January.

Anfield’s new American owners are willing to find the cash for Young as they chase a Champions League place.

Hodgson wants to bring in top-quality recruits and Comolli has identified Young and used his contacts to start work on setting up the swoop for the opening of the window in the New Year.

Young could be persuaded to join the exodus from Villa, who lost James Milner at the start of the campaign and are now under pressure to keep their next star.

Villa will want a big fee for Young but Liverpool sources are quietly confident they can come to an agreement on price, especially if the player indicates that he fancies the move.

Manchester United and Tottenham are also admirers of Young, but Liverpool think they can come up with more cash to tempt him to move to Merseyside.

It would be a massive statement by the new Anfield regime after a lull in their transfer affairs, and the swoop could help their case as they try to scramble towards the top four.

The Reds know signing a player of Young's calibre would give their season fresh impetus and send out a message to current stars such as Fernando Torres and Pepe Reina, who will review their futures at the end of the campaign.

Liverpool’s move for Young will be a blow for Villa and former Kop chief Gerard Houllier.

Villa wanted to be a buying club in January but are now under pressure to sell one of their top men before making any moves to strengthen the side.

Read more: Transfer news Liverpool boss Roy Hodgson is ready to raid Aston Villa to sign England star Ashley Young in a £15m Kop coup in the January transfer window. - News - MirrorFootball.co.uk

Read more: Transfer news Liverpool boss Roy Hodgson is ready to raid Aston Villa to sign England star Ashley Young in a £15m Kop coup in the January transfer window. - News - MirrorFootball.co.uk

How the fuck have they had a lull in their transfer affairs? They haven't even been here for a transfer window.

GLEN JOHNSON TO RACE OFF AS REDS EYE HOT ROD FANNI

England defender Johnson remains poised to leave next month following manager Roy Hodgson’s recent criticism of him, even though the pair have since tried to present a united front.

Tottenham, Bayern Munich and Juventus have all been linked with Johnson and Liverpool have already targeted Rennes right-back Fanni as a potential replacement.

Marseille want to sign the pacey Fanni, 29, and Rennes are trying to use that interest to drive their asking price up to about £4million.

I've had a few of them in my time!

I hadn't really heard of him before the world cup. I don't really rate the dutch league as the power teams are all on the verge of meltdown...

From what I've seen of him, I don't rate him. Good finisher in poor league. Don't think he can lead the line and I think the extra time & space (similar to his current league) he gets in the international game helps him there as well... I just don't see him translating well to the Prem.

You accuse him of being a good finisher in a poor league, but hadn't really heard of him before the World Cup? He's been one of the top scorer in the Dutch League for the last 3 seasons and last year scored 49 goals in 48 games. If you'd never heard of him, you're probably not qualified to judge either his ability, or the quality of the Dutch League because you've not been watching it. Also, if the "power teams" are on the verge of meltdown, that doesn't affect the quality of the league at present, or over the last three years.

No matter how talented johnson is going forward the fact is he can't bloody defend. He's a liability at the back and needs to be got rid of quick time. Johnson is fortunate to have kuyt on his side to help him out otherwise all the teams would be constantly attacking that side as it would be our weak point.

I think Johnson has been fine defensively since he has come back from injury. He looks more trim and quicker as well. Maybe he has lost a few pounds or was made to train harder to get into the team?!

At the beginning of the season he was poor, but I have no problem if he plays like he has the last few weeks, in attack and defense.

Ashley Young is one of those players who desperately needs to play for a top club under a top manager. Needs to be playing against tough opposition alongside quality players.

Insert derogatory joke here.

I think he'd be ace if he came to us. I think he needs the move as well.

Top club, top manager?

So where do you think Ashley will be going?

At £15 million I think Young is decent value. Wouldn't pay more than that though.

Would prefer N'zogbia, who I think is quicker, more direct, beats players for fun.

Young however has a better attitude, improves the English quota, works hard defensively as well as in attack and has a very good set piece cross - especially from corners.

Fuck it, I'd have both of them and Hazard - selling Kuyt and Jovanovic.

I think Johnson has been fine defensively since he has come back from injury. He looks more trim and quicker as well. Maybe he has lost a few pounds or was made to train harder to get into the team?!

At the beginning of the season he was poor, but I have no problem if he plays like he has the last few weeks, in attack and defense.

This.

He has improved and if he is a bit more disciplined then I don't see why we have to sell him. Would buy a centre back or a left back before thinking of bringing in a right back.

Young and Suarez for £25m-£30m would be great bit of business.

I'd rather Aguero, but he'd cost to much, and a pacy/skillfull supporting striker is what I'd love, not some big lump of shit like Cole coming in.

This league is built for the big lump of shit. We just need to find one with skill (Dzeko, Milevskiy, Haorau, Necid, etc)

At £15 million I think Young is decent value. Wouldn't pay more than that though.

Would prefer N'zogbia, who I think is quicker, more direct, beats players for fun.

Young however has a better attitude, improves the English quota, works hard defensively as well as in attack and has a very good set piece cross - especially from corners.

Fuck it, I'd have both of them and Hazard - selling Kuyt and Jovanovic.

Just a quick point about N'zogbia - he qualifies as "homegrown" so would actually boost our quota of Association Trained Players. He has also reportedly reached a gentleman's agreement with Wigan that he can leave if a 'big club' comes in for him and both ourselves and Marseilles were rumoured to be interested.

Birmingham agreed a £9m deal with Wigan in the Summer but the deal seemingly collapsed when the player rejected the move. I think he is the player Comolli was referring to last week when he said Roy had rejected one of the shortlisted "targets" on account of his attitude.

Personally I think he would be an excellent signing in a position in which we are weak. He is quick, skillful, creative, can play on both wings and fill in at full back in an emergency. Furthermore, he is used to the league and has a good injury record - we could do a lot worse...