You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2011 Transfer Window Speculation Thread

StevieH

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As Blackpool proved to us (again), we don't need "World class" players to improve our squad - just decent ones who give a shit would be a big step up right now.

Pace, thats what you need more than anything. That was clear against blackpool

I wouldn't want to buy these players! But beggers can't be choosers!

Ideally I would look to loans, and this is only what I would suggest we do if they don't want to spend money. In normal circumstances I wouldn't touch Davies with a bargepole, but he would at least offer the same as the greek but with pace, Tuncay would be better than N'Gog.

As I said, as it stands, if they are going to invest then great we can to look at better players, but at the moment that doesn't look to be the case but we desperately need two or three players in.

I don't rate either N'Gog or The Greek - I still wouldn't sign either of those, even on loan. I don't see them as any improvement at all.

Yeah I know!

To be honest I haven't a fucking clue what to do!

Fed up watching shite, they don't want to spend money but it seems okay for us to do so watching them!

I have had Blackburn, United, Blackpool and and have Wolves in quick succession and it will cost me a fortune!

I want something done, even if it is wrong, I demands it!!!! Does anybody know if we have any money at all, if we do then fuck off my offerings, and go for quality if we haven't then sorry, but shit sarnies it is.

Deal with the reality, but I have no idea what that is!

Really though this is the crux of the problem - the owners may be happy to right the season off, but they are not providing season ticket refunds, free away travel and free away tickets in the mean time. As mentioned previously, the players you mentioned imo add nothing that we don't already have. However, there must be some players out there who can offer more than we have as we don't have

1. A left back

2. A ball winning mid

3. a left winger

Stands to reason there must be someone available somewhere who could add something even if they don't want to spend. Momo could probably be got on loan - I wouldn't want him back on a permanent move, but he would certainly be worth getting to fill in. While he's not the solution, adam hamill is available at 500k - can he be worse than jovanovic has been when he has played that position? and left back ... there's Coentrao who is supposedly available. Although fuck it, even Konchesky isn't as bad as the option Kenny used the other night.

But to me that doesn't negate the position we are in. IMO the owners have no choice but to make find a tactical solution to our shortage of quality experienced players while they wait for their long term youth planning to come to fruition. They need to spend in this window and spend on quality. If they fail to do it, they will be staring relegation in the face come easter.

17 year old footballers have relatives, team mates and friends as well:wallbutt:

Indeed, so say "friends of the player". Sources can only mean his Mr 10% or other hangers-on. Firstly, no 17 year old should have an agent. And secondly, and more importantly, it's the reporting - a self-important and portentous way of dramatising modern football.

I just feel so alienated from the game these days. Not just with what has happened at my club for the past three and a half years, but the game in general. It's joyless, soulless, corporate merchandising that disguises what is actually a degraded product.

No more shit players like Poulson and Konchesky and no more average players like jovanovic and kuyt who can't even have a normal touch on the ball. So that means no players like Samba or Tuncay or Hammill or 2nd rate players. It's time to go and buy some real quality players and that can actually improve us. If there aren't really quality players left then don't go and buy an average or a shit player just so you can tell us * you see we did buy someone on the transfer window*. there are like 30 players who i don't want at our club and get some massive wages.

I think people are right in saying we shouldn't be clogging up the squad with more shite or at best average players. But who do people honestly think we're going to sign. We're going to struggle to attract any quality high profile players with the state we're in at the minute.

Not impossible mind you, but definently difficult. Alot more difficult than it was about 18 months ago.

We're going to be forced to take risks I think. Most likely players like Marveaux from Rennes, not exactly high profile but talented with the potential to move up a level.

No more shit players like Poulson and Konchesky and no more average players like jovanovic and kuyt who can't even have a normal touch on the ball. So that means no players like Samba or Tuncay or Hammill or 2nd rate players. It's time to go and buy some real quality players and that can actually improve us. If there aren't really quality players left then don't go and buy an average or a shit player just so you can tell us * you see we did buy someone on the transfer window*. there are like 30 players who i don't want at our club and get some massive wages.

By that prejudgement of players, we should never have signed Yossi. Tuncay's record is just as good as his. Different player, but he can break teams down.

By that prejudgement of players, we should never have signed Yossi. Tuncay's record is just as good as his. Different player, but he can break teams down.

Let's be honest mate. if we signed like 5 players like Yossi or Tuncay. i'm pretty sure that at least 4 are going to be a flop and 1 will do well . Do you really want to take that risk. But don't also forget that if we want to sign players like Tuncay we should also think that we can afford to sign him. because atm i like the idea's of our new owners of signing youngster for the future etc.. but it will be good if they looked at our squad now and buy some quality players instead of youngster. First improve our first eleven and then look into our youngsters.

Looks like we've missed the boat on Chamberlain. BBC Solent said that Arsenal are his preferred choice but he also held talks with ourselves. To be honest I am not suprised he turned us down given our current siutation. I can't see players desiring to come to us. We're in a right mess and are sliding down the table. People say Comolli worked his magic at spurs when persuading players but if a player is not feelin what's hearing it's not gonna happen. I expect quite a few players to look at our current situation and follow Chamberlain, particualrly as there is still uncertainty as to who is going to be manager next summer.

Looks like we've missed the boat on Chamberlain. BBC Solent said that Arsenal are his preferred choice but he also held talks with ourselves. To be honest I am not suprised he turned us down given our current siutation. I can't see players desiring to come to us. We're in a right mess and are sliding down the table. People say Comolli worked his magic at spurs when persuading players but if a player is not feelin what's hearing it's not gonna happen. I expect quite a few players to look at our current situation and follow Chamberlain, particualrly as there is still uncertainty as to who is going to be manager next summer.

Like most things, it'll come down to whats on the pay slip.

Feels like the owners have written off this season. Felt that way given the amount of time they mulled over sacking Woy.

Kenny constantly saying he's satisfied with the quality in our squad. Looks like he's gonna have to beg for money to sign players.

Not sure Pepe and Nando will be happy and won't be here next season.

No it doesn't to be honest mate.

What do you expect Kenny to say especially when he is always talking about building up the teams confidence.

How do you think the team would react if Dalglish turned round and said 'i need half a dozen new players cos they are wank'.