You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Will Konchesky be first choice?

TedCrilly

While I'm glad we've signed the lad, and wish him well, I wonder will he actually even start that many league games. Roy is clearly a fan of his and had him as Fulham's first choice left back but its a different story at Liverpool. Agger probably won't be happy to slot in left back all season long either so will Konchesky actually be our first choice left back? Just can't see it myself.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Barring injuries to Fabio, he'll be first-choice I think. If Aurelio can get his fitness sorted for a run of games, you'd imagine he'd be hard to ignore for that position.

Then again, is Aurelio a chance to play more on the wing this season? Johnson too?

Be interesting to see what Roy decides on when the team settles in a month or two.

Then again, is Aurelio a chance to play more on the wing this season? Johnson too?

Johnson - yes.

Aurelio - I hope not. Jovanovic, Cole, Maxi, Babel and Pacheco should all be ahead of him at left wing. He is a full back or not in the team, for me.

Hopefully.

We need a consistently solid left back, he doesn't have to be anything special but as long as he doesn't get skinned every week like Insua or is injured every minute like Aurelio then he'll do a job.

I think he'll surprise a few people.

To be honest I hadn't even considered Fabio as he is so injury prone. At least with Konchesky you'd hope that he will be there for the majority of the season without injury. I think Agger is doing well there at the moment so doubt he will drop him anytime soon but seeing as Paul is clearly a favourite of Roy's then its impossible to guess how the left back position will play out. By starting Konchesky at LB then the centre back positions are now not guaranteed. I really can't predict bar Johnson how our backline will lay out against Brummie.

I reckon the back line will be

Johnson - Carra - Agger - Konchesky

though I would prefer to see

Kelly - Carra/Skrtel - Agger - Konchesky

with Johnson moved to rm/rw as he is possibly one of the more attacking players we have atm and if it does not work just pull kelly or Johnson off and move back if kelly is replaced I feel this would make for a more attacking right side aswell as better defensively, but then again I think J.cole is a winger =p

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Aurelio is ten times the player he is. If Aurelio can stay fit, he should be first choice. If not, Konchesky will play. Shows the state of the football club at the moment.

He will get a run of games as first. If he will play well he´ll keep his place with Fabio coming in for Europa and League Cup games. If he is cack he will be dropped for Fabio or Agger.

Anyway, Roy rates Aurelio not as much cause he preferred Agger to play LB with Fabio beeing fit, which is ridiculous when you know Agger got torn appart by pacey wingers on every occasion and offered nothing going forwrd.

And Daniel will probably start at CB with Carra against Brum and show that he is nothing special.