You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

They're evacuating homes in several areas of Sheffield. We've had 70mm+ of rain in just over 24 hours and the council have declared a major emergency. The River Don is close to bursting its banks in several places, the M1 is shut, people are camping out at Meadowhall and cars are being washed away. And it's not reached its worst yet, we're expecting rain until about 6am. 

Shiiiiiiiiit.

1 hour ago, Karl_b said:

They're evacuating homes in several areas of Sheffield. We've had 70mm+ of rain in just over 24 hours and the council have declared a major emergency. The River Don is close to bursting its banks in several places, the M1 is shut, people are camping out at Meadowhall and cars are being washed away. And it's not reached its worst yet, we're expecting rain until about 6am. 

Shiiiiiiiiit.

Sorry, I only saw this after I made that last sarcy post. Didn't realise it was so serious. Hope everyone's OK.

6 hours ago, Mudface said:

Sorry, I only saw this after I made that last sarcy post. Didn't realise it was so serious. Hope everyone's OK.

No apology necessary mate! Thankfully, I'm not aware of any injuries or risk to life but it's going to have caused millions of pounds of damage and have left people out of their homes and businesses. On the plus side, it looks like my wife's school night be closed so she'll get a day off! No such look for me.

Guest Pistonbroke
48 minutes ago, Trumo said:

What were you expecting, a massive umbrella?

I was actually expecting them to invest the money they received from the Eu to prevent further flooding.

Big umbrella and wellington boots it is then. 

6 hours ago, Pistonbroke said:

I was actually expecting them to invest the money they received from the Eu to prevent further flooding.

Big umbrella and wellington boots it is then. 

They've spent millions on flood defences and sustainable drainage systems in Sheffield and Hull. Sheffield has some of the most innovative urban drainage in the country but it's small steps and too late. It would have been much worse without them here but the amount of rain was phenomenal.

• 2 years later...

Youngest kids school sent a letter out saying on Mon/Tuesday next week the kids will be ‘allowed’ to take their blazers and ties off.

Everything else must be as normal, so that means black thick trousers (with the school logo on of course), a polyester shirt (also with logo) and socks and shoes. 

They probably think they’re being lenient. I think they’re acting like dicks. 

2 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

Youngest kids school sent a letter out saying on Mon/Tuesday next week the kids will be ‘allowed’ to take their blazers and ties off.

Everything else must be as normal, so that means black thick trousers (with the school logo on of course), a polyester shirt (also with logo) and socks and shoes. 

I wore shorts to the office on Wednesday.  Not kylie style, nice, tailored shorts. As I walked in you’d have thought I was wearing a bikini but one of the female grads commented ‘I’ve got my shorts on and no one batted an eyelid’ so nothing else was said.  

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

I wore shorts to the office on Wednesday.  Not kylie style, nice, tailored shorts. As I walked in you’d have thought I was wearing a bikini but one of the female grads commented ‘I’ve got my shorts on and no one batted an eyelid’ so nothing else was said.  

Pics or Gtfo

6 hours ago, YorkshireRed said:

I’m surprised they haven’t cancelled school Monday & Tuesday, especially for the early primary school years.

• Upvote 2

On 15/07/2022 at 13:39, YorkshireRed said:

My lad broke up for the 6 weeks holiday yesterday, but this week just gone he went in his P.E. kit every day 

• Upvote 1