You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Best book you read in 2009?

Red_Jim83

Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (bloody amazing)

I am Legand by Richard Matheson

Bag of Bones by Stephen King

1984 by George Orwell

Off the top of my Head. Four cracking books. Average about 3 a month now, so I'm sure to think of more later on. Neverwhere though is my favorite book of the year.

Edited by Juniper
Can't spell

It doesn't necessarily have to be a book that was published in 2009, just what was the best book you read last year? Personally I’d have to go for ‘The Book Thief’, thought it was one of the best books I’ve ever read in fact. Anyway, lets hear your thoughts and suggestions...

Brilliant book, one of the best I've read this year too.

Sins of the brother about Ivan Milat. Australian serial killer who used to pick backpackers up from by the hume highway, two of them British and take them into Belanglo state forest, destabilize them and kill them. The film wolf creek was based on him.

I'd recommend 'Alice In Wonderland.' Now, don't mock unless you've actually read it as an adult... A friend suggested I should buy it, and it's like some sort of drug-fuelled fantasy... I'm not kidding. Hopefully someone will come on here & back me up. Curiouser and curiouser...

Edited by ISeeRed
!

The Book of Dave by Will Self is good.

(Although make sure you read the appendix which helps you translate the language of the people who live in the future. Anyone who doesn't notice it will try and translate it themselves and only be able to read a couple of pages at a time. Like I did. Because I'm a cock)

Hard to pick but I have to mention a few:

Might have read this one late '08 or early '09, can't remember exactly:

Cathedral of the sea by Ildefonso Falcones;

VisBildeServlet?produktId=3719920&width=150

Just finished this one:

Gomorrah by Roberto Saviano;

VisBildeServlet?produktId=2899409&width=70

Both very good read; the first one is about 1300 century Barcelona and the struggles of that time in general. Loads of historically correct descriptions aswell. A page turner as they say. The Gomorrah-book is a very good description of Italian mafia and how they work. It's from the Napoli-area and it's an eye opener with regards to how rutheless the mafia is. It's more a descriptive tale more than a novel, a documentary if you want. I'm not surprised if the author is killed by the Gomorrah, maybe I should put that into a "who will die in 2010"-prediction.

Cant go with any book, but will go with an author who I was introduced to in 2009

Ken Bruen.

Ken Bruen was born in Galway, Ireland. After turning down a place at RADA, and completing a doctorate in Metaphysics, he spent 25 years as an English teacher in Africa, Japan, South East Asia and South America. An unscheduled stint in a Brazilian prison where he suffered physical and mental abuse spurred him to write and, after a brief spell teaching in London, he returned to Galway, where he now lives with his daughter.

Very dark Irish humour. The Jack Taylor series are fantastic.

Best thing about finding a new author you get loads of books to read. I read the jack taylor series first. 7 of those. Then the Tom Brant series.

Biggest problem has been finding older copies.

(6)