You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rafa explains Keane and Barry debacle

Torvald Utne

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nobody is forcing you to join in. Personally i think it's an interesting topic to revisit now that Barry has his first league winner's medal.

I know you think Barry's league medal fully vindicates Rafa's decision to try and buy him at Alonso's expense four years ago, but I would put it to you that your logic is a little flawed!

So Barry wins a league medal in one of the most expensively assembled teams in league history, bankrolled with a neverending money pit, and suddenly Rafa's a technical mastermind again because once upon a time he thought Barry was the answer to our prayers?

I just don't get this place, sometimes.

Wish we had Barry and Xabi now. And 2008 Torres. And 2009 Gerrard. And 2005 Hyypia. And 2006 Reina. And 2006 Carragher. And 2001 Babbel. And 2 weeks in 2009 Aurelio. And 2008 Mascherano.

Ermmmm, left wing...... And 1988 Barnes.

Wish we had Barry and Xabi now. And 2008 Torres. And 2009 Gerrard. And 2005 Hyypia. And 2006 Reina. And 2006 Carragher. And 2001 Babbel. And 2 weeks in 2009 Aurelio. And 2008 Mascherano.

Ermmmm, left wing...... And 1988 Barnes.

I'd settle for a 20 year old Robbie Fowler.

He would have scored a hatful this season.

I recall the game plan was to have Barry, operating left of centre, able to offer cover to an attacking left back and equally able to support and supply Keane attacking from the left. I'm sure Rafa said that Barry was able to "play anywhere on the left".

I recall the game plan was to have Barry, operating left of centre, able to offer cover to an attacking left back and equally able to support and supply Keane attacking from the left. I'm sure Rafa said that Barry was able to "play anywhere on the left".

Shhhhhhhh. If we say that Rafa just wanted Barry as an out and out winger then it means we can still say Rafa is a shit manager. We then follow it closely by saying Barry was carried by all the good players at Man City and that’s why he has a title medal. The fact he was mooted as a possible player of the season by the City fanbase is to be ignored also. He was supposed to replace Xabi, ergo he’s a shit footballer, and a cunt. Boo hoo.

Shhhhhhhh. If we say that Rafa just wanted Barry as an out and out winger then it means we can still say Rafa is a shit manager. We then follow it closely by saying Barry was carried by all the good players at Man City and that’s why he has a title medal. The fact he was mooted as a possible player of the season by the City fanbase is to be ignored also. He was supposed to replace Xabi, ergo he’s a shit footballer, and a cunt. Boo hoo.

If you want to discuss Rafa managerial talent, you discuss what he actually did do with the players he had. What you don't do is try to make out that wanting a player 4 years before he wins a medal in a completely different (more expensive) team is evidence of being a genius. In fact, I'd go as far to say that it is the most desperate, illogical argument that you could make.

Also ignores the fact that Barry was established in central midfield for Villa, and had played numerous times there for England as well.

Joined City for ludicrous wages and played CM all his time there.

But yeah, he'd come and play left back for Rafa :whistle:

So Barry wins a league medal in one of the most expensively assembled teams in league history, bankrolled with a neverending money pit, and suddenly Rafa's a technical mastermind again because once upon a time he thought Barry was the answer to our prayers?

I just don't get this place, sometimes.

Nobody's saying "Rafa's a technical mastermind" because he saw potential in Barry and I'm sure Rafa never said "Barry was the answer to our prayers". BUT, Rafa's interest in Barry was used as a stick to beat him with, by many so called fans here and Barry's recent success, as an integral componant in an "expensively assembled team", offers a slight vindication to that interest.

I don't always get this place either, it seems that the attitude some people have towards Rafa Benitez, borders on sheer hatred.

If you want to discuss Rafa managerial talent, you discuss what he actually did do with the players he had. What you don't do is try to make out that wanting a player 4 years before he wins a medal in a completely different (more expensive) team is evidence of being a genius. In fact, I'd go as far to say that it is the most desperate, illogical argument that you could make.

Luckily I didn’t make that argument.

My only comment on this is about the people who continually try and insist Barry is shit. When he’s not. He’s very good.

In 2008 there was a very definite argument for selling Alonso as we were nowhere near challenging for the title so something needed to change in our midfield of Xabi, Gerrard and Mascherano. In 2008 Xabi was the weakest of those 3 players performance wise. Basically if we put Gerrard and Mascherano up for sale that summer we would have got more then double the £13m we couldn’t even sell Xabi for.

Rafa looked at Barry to try and change things, but that signing didn’t happen, despite Barry being desperate to join us.

In the end we got a huge change. Alonso was much improved the next season, and more importantly, Torres and Gerrard struck up one of the best forward partnerships in world football.

We should have won the league. Maybe if we’d got Barry we would have. Maybe not. Xabi was unable to play for Rafa now because he was upset that Rafa tried to sell him. Well, when I say he couldn’t play for him anymore, he was able to suffer for another year because no big club wanted to sign him. Luckily for him, he much improved and was then able to go to Real Madrid for almost 3 times the price we couldn’t sell him for the summer previous. Anyway, water under a very murky bridge.

However, the main reason for my post is that the idea that Barry is shit is daft, and has been proven as such over the last few seasons, none as much as the last 4 months when he was superb.

However, the main reason for my post is that the idea that Barry is shit is daft, and has been proven as such over the last few seasons, none as much as the last 4 months when he was superb.

If people are saying Barry is shit (is anyone actually saying this?), they are wrong as he's clearly not.

But anyone using his league winner's medal as justification (or "vindication") of Rafa trying to swap him for Alonso 4 years ago are equally as illogical in my view.

Guest TK-421
Also ignores the fact that Barry was established in central midfield for Villa, and had played numerous times there for England as well.

Joined City for ludicrous wages and played CM all his time there.

But yeah, he'd come and play left back for Rafa :whistle:

Im not ignoring anything. Just saying he's an excellent player who helped man city to the title, and has therefore proven that rafa was right to pursue him.

Im not ignoring anything. Just saying he's an excellent player who helped man city to the title, and has therefore proven that rafa was right to pursue him.

Yep, Rafa may have been right to pursue him.

But has the league winner's medal has "fully vindicated" Rafa for trying to get shot of Alonso to buy Barry as you are claiming? No chance.

Proves fuck all, really.

Just as his fellow professionals selecting Toure and Silva rather than him for their PFA team proves nothing neither.

They even picked the 40's throwback instead.

I suspect if City are splashing the cash to improve further, Barry will be one of those under threat.

If people are saying Barry is shit (is anyone actually saying this?), they are wrong as he's clearly not.

But anyone using his league winner's medal as justification (or "vindication") of Rafa trying to swap him for Alonso 4 years ago are equally as illogical in my view.

He is shite and he is slow, he is a nothing player in the true meaning of the word.

The inclusion of Barry in their team is one of the main reasons City were dumped out of the CL and Europa League.

Born and true winner though, having played football at the highest level for 15 seasons and having 1 FA Cup and 1 PL medal to show from it.

Thats just excellent and a true sign of a winner.

He is shite and he is slow, he is a nothing player in the true meaning of the word.

I am sure I could drag up a passing accuracy stat to prove you wrong there, Code, but am happy to merely disagree.

He's no worldbeater, and he's certainly no Xabi, but he ain't shite.

I am sure I could drag up a passing accuracy stat to prove you wrong there, Code, but am happy to merely disagree.

He's no worldbeater, and he's certainly no Xabi, but he ain't shite.

Its all about the context I guess.

Guest TK-421

I suspect if City are splashing the cash to improve further, Barry will be one of those under threat.

They've splashed nearly a billion pounds but gaz baz has retained his place.

Sometimes you just have to hold your hands up and say "yeah, i got that one wrong".

For the Kop this is one of those times.

Guest TK-421
Yep, Rafa may have been right to pursue him.

But has the league winner's medal has "fully vindicated" Rafa for trying to get shot of Alonso to buy Barry as you are claiming? No chance.

Of course it has. Gaz and his team mates have propelled man city to their first title in 46 years.

Let's hope we don't have to wait that long.