You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

"How I turned a Torres Hat Trick into a criticism of Rafa" By Chris Bascombe

hamstrung

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Well put it this way, he didn't even know Keane had scored four until Sunday morning, so anything mentioning Keane and comparing it with Torres etc was nothing to do with him. The first he knew of that spread was when I asked him about it. He wrote the report, and the piece on Gillett, and that was it.

I hope he goes mental over it, because that is a low blow, even if it is the News of the World.

I agree, and I usually stay out of these threads. The only reason I've said anything here is that I know all of that Robbie Keane garbage was nothing to do with him, and he gets enough stick for what he does write without getting slaughtered for something he hasn't written.

I accept that. I'm certainly not trying to knock him for work he hasn't written, even if he is responsible for it, because that isn't necessary.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He definitely didn't write it, I've asked him. He didn't write any of it, only the match report and the article about Gillett. As the Count said, the front and back page write offs are hardly ever written by the reporter, and that was the case here.

I used to like him as a Journalist and thought he was very good. I accept some of his work may be altered but that doesnt explain his recent lack of objectivity.

As you know I think Rafa have made lots of mistakes and unlike some on here I am prepared to point that out but I do try and look each situation on its own merits just wish CB would do likewise and get back to being the great journalist he once was and FTR I am not trying to patronise him just saying how I see it.

We are a 2 man team apparently, zonal marking is a kin to witchcraft only practised by Rafa oh and by the way did you he's foreign not like that wonderful Mr Ferguson. The press and TV are turning into cliches now, may as well just watch the match with the sound off.

Strangely enough after about ten minutes of watching the Leeds match in the week I turned the sound off and kept it off till the final whistle, never watched the "pundits" either and went to bed in a far better mood than usual after viewing one of our games on TV.

I don't know if this question has ever been asked before, but it popped into my head the other week when I was in the local shop and saw a copy of the Sunday Sun on a stand next to NOTW.

Why do people call the NOTW the Sunday Sun, when there's already a paper called the Sunday Sun? Surely that makes it impossible for the NOTW to be known as the Sunday Sun.

I don't know if this question has ever been asked before, but it popped into my head the other week when I was in the local shop and saw a copy of the Sunday Sun on a stand next to NOTW.

Why do people call the NOTW the Sunday Sun, when there's already a paper called the Sunday Sun? Surely that makes it impossible for the NOTW to be known as the Sunday Sun.

Must be a relatively new paper, as I've never heard of it before. I think the "sunday sun" thing goes back years, even before the Sun was despised.

So NOTW isn't the Sunday Sun? But I thought you said it was earlier?

The Sunday Sun is a NE local paper which has been around for years.

The NoTW has been around since 1843.

Murdoch bought it in '69 to specifically make it the S**'s Sunday paper.

As it already had a brand & another Sunday Sun exists, it retained its name.

However it shares offices,ownership,promotion,printing & distribution with the S**

It is every bit their Sunday paper as the Observer is to the Guardian.

Whether or not people wish to boycott it on that basis is their business.

EDIT

Sorry, Murdoch bought the NoTW 1st.

That meant that his printers in London's Bouverie Street sat idle six days a week

So he bought the S** (originally launched by IPC to replace the Daily Herald from IPC) to get full use of the printers.

He then relaunched it as a tabloid competitior to the Mirror & the NotW's sister paper.

That doesn't make any sense though. There's already one with the name. If there wasn't one, then i'd understand the point. But there is one.

From Wikipedia:

Type Weekly regional newspaper

Format Tabloid

Owner Trinity Mirror

Editor Colin Patterson

Founded 1919

Headquarters Groat Market, Newcastle upon Tyne

Website Sunday Sun - Newcastle, Middlesbrough & North East news, sport & more

The Sunday Sun is a regional Sunday newspaper for North East England, Cumbria and the Scottish Borders, published in Newcastle Upon Tyne by Trinity Mirror. It is the sister paper of the weekday newspapers the Evening Chronicle and The Journal.

It is unconnected to The Sun, the national newspaper, whose Sunday equivalent is the News of the World.

He definitely didn't write it, I've asked him. He didn't write any of it, only the match report and the article about Gillett. As the Count said, the front and back page write offs are hardly ever written by the reporter, and that was the case here.

If he didn't write it then he might want to have a think about why perfectly rational Liverpool fans had no problem whatsoever in believing that he did write it. Maybe take a look at why his stock has fallen to that level and decide if he wants that to carry on.

Is it really worth the sacrifice of having everyone in your hometown think you're a snidey, lying bastard just to get renewed access to the new Liverpool manager.