You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

"How I turned a Torres Hat Trick into a criticism of Rafa" By Chris Bascombe

hamstrung

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's to be expected now. If there isn't anything real to attack him with then just make stuff up and attack him with that. The stupid thing is that criticism from a balanced writer means so much more than from someone so obviously driven by an agenda to oust him. I don't particulatly agree with some of the opinions that Usher might have about the gaffer but he'll generally present them in a balanced way and so he'll win me over to his side of the debate an infinite amount more times that Bascome's shite will.

Me?

I don't read his stuff, nor do I read the NOTW. I don't really care about what he has to say because I don't read it. What I find most amusing is the multiple page discussion his article brings to his forum

It's a forum. If people want to discuss it they can. If you don't want to then don't bother with the threads, like I do if something doesn't interest me. It's no skin off your nose so why worry about it.

Me?

I don't read his stuff, nor do I read the NOTW. I don't really care about what he has to say because I don't read it. What I find most amusing is the multiple page discussion his article brings to his forum

Is it any more amusing that people being interested in the heirarchy at the club? After all, if someone is aggressively rooting for reigime change in a national paper, and that fella is supposed to be a red, and an influential one, then people will care.

It's not rocket science.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
It's to be expected now. If there isn't anything real to attack him with then just make stuff up and attack him with that. The stupid thing is that criticism from a balanced writer means so much more than from someone so obviously driven by an agenda to oust him. I don't particulatly agree with some of the opinions that Usher might have about the gaffer but he'll generally present them in a balanced way and so he'll win me over to his side of the debate an infinite amount more times that Bascome's shite will.

Exactly. Justified criticism must be encouraged. By that, I mean that you should be able to justify it with something more than just conjecture and bile. After all, nobody is perfect. Some justification and a dash of perspective is enough to legitimise any criticism.

That said, it is clear to see that Rafa did play Torres and Keane together and any suggestion that he didn't is fuelled by one of the two things I posted earlier in the thread. They really just amount to ignorance or hatred. Chris isn't particularly ignorant, so that just leaves hatred and bias.

I've supported Chris many times on this site, but that, and some of his recent articles, are out of order. Petty digs do him no credit. Sadly, he appears to be becoming a tabloid journo in every sense. Shame really as I liked him in his Echo days, and even in the early days of his NotW tenure. I still credit him for galvanising the fans when it started becoming apparant what type of people we had as owners, but he just comes across as bitter now.

Me?

Which is fucking laughable because usually the main reason for it being a multi page discussion is you responding to people criticising Bascombe and turning it into a multi page discussion.

In your first two sentences in the above post you've said all you need to. Now all you need to do is stop going on about everybody else.

He has just become an unprofessional agenda driven journalist which is very sad because he used to be a very good Journalist

As Stu points out if you have a balanced agenda when you make a criticism people take much more notice.

It would be interesting to know when he last wrote an article giving Rafa some credit.

I've supported Chris many times on this site, but that, and some of his recent articles, are out of order. Petty digs do him no credit. Sadly, he appears to be becoming a tabloid journo in every sense. Shame really as I liked him in his Echo days, and even in the early days of his NotW tenure. I still credit him for galvanising the fans when it started becoming apparant what type of people we had as owners, but he just comes across as bitter now.

My thoughts exactly if there was ever a definition of a man selling his soul....

Seen some previews of his next "Exclusives" "RAFA WAS ON GRASSY KNOLL" "RAFA DEMANDS 15 SQUILLION QUID OFF KINDLY OLD MEN OWNERS TO RE-SIGN KEWELL AND BISCAN" and finally "RAFA:ITS TRUE I AM A WARLOCK AND PRACTICE THE BLACK ARTS"

Horror of horrors you've made me go on their website just to check, and for the life of me I can't see that line in the match report.

There's also a big story about a potential new face-off between the Yanks, but this is what ends up being ahem 'debated' on here?

Yes, I'm a friend and yes he's made his bed now etc etc, but some of the stuff on here is getting like RAOTL.

Do you think your friend still believes our future is bleak, given the ‘ambitious spending plans’ of the owners?

Is that because he hasn't ?? as for the thread, if people hate Bascombe so much then STOP TALKING ABOUT HIM.

In the last two games that Spurs have played against top 4 sides - Man Utd and Chelsea - they have started with Defoe and Crouch up front, with Keane playing somewhere around the midfield.

I'd say that it's a pretty sure sign that somebody at the club, presumably the manager, has identified that, when you play against decent defenders, Robbie Keane is not the man for the job.

I don't hate Bascombe at all - I never read him, or the paper he write for, and I am completely indifferent to about him as a journalist - my point was more one about Benitez; he dropped a giant clanger with Keane, not by not playing him with Torres, but by signing him in the first place.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
OK. I'll get a copy off the in laws later.

Its amusing that people would rather assume I was lying...not sure what my motivation for that might be.

I've seen it, too. I might just go 'round and take a picture of it in a minute.