You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

"How I turned a Torres Hat Trick into a criticism of Rafa" By Chris Bascombe

hamstrung

Has Bascombe got shitter?

Unless it's put on here I wouldn't see it, and then I have to wade through ten tons of hysterical babble after it.

We're back to 'Rafa criticism = AGENDA' territory again, hence the 400 page threads. I did read those articles this morning because of all the 3-4 fuss, and they seemed perfectly okay to me.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People say you can't trust a paper and then think the people who work for it are treated with the utmost respect and their 'copy' regarded as sacrosanct.

What's this supposed to mean, and how is it connected to the post you are replying to?

Like having different text for different parts of the country. They're shifty bastards, period.

"Shifty Bastard Bascombe", it does have a certain ring to it. :D

What's this supposed to mean, and how is it connected to the post you are replying to?

You don't trust the paper to tell the truth about things, but you expect it to print a writer's stuff like it was the Holy written word of God? Any cynicism towards newspapers is well founded, so what makes you think its employers are exempt from manipulation? You think this is Bascombe's doing because you WANT it.

Way I see it (and UEM too, who's got a grasp on such matters) some smart alec sub editor has come up with the headline and changed the little bit of text to make it fit.

You don't trust the paper to tell the truth about things, but you expect it to print a writer's stuff like it was the Holy written word of God? Any cynicism towards newspapers is well founded, so what makes you think its employers are exempt from manipulation? You think this is Bascombe's doing because you WANT it.

Way I see it (and UEM too, who's got a grasp on such matters) some smart alec sub editor has come up with the headline and changed the little bit of text to make it fit.

My query wasn't about me, but in response to your assertion that Bascombe would want respect from fans that expect fairness and accuracy:

Sorry, but he would know that saying something SO stupid and SO wrong would destroy whatever slender cred he had with people of your 'persuasion' despite not actually giving a fuck what you think any more.

I think he would still want respect from the fans who aren't so areselicky to Rafa but still expect fairness and accuracy.

One possibility is that he may have used the phrase 'persisted in playing them together' and it got changed by some shit stirring triumphalist-while-it-lasts Spurs cunt, but even then he would know that Torres wasn't fit for a lot of the time Keane was here.

Do you think Bascombe can legitimately expect respect from people who are placed in the position of having to second guess which parts of an article are his work, and which parts aren’t?

So what we have learn't is Bascombe writes an article, takes it to his sub editor, who then says 'Cheers Chris, back pages for you tomorrow' then adds a contravesial comment so Chris takes the flack for it. I'm sorry but if he is allowing that to happen he has lost his integrity and sold out for money and allowed himself to be used as a pawn in a political game again.

So what we have learn't is Bascombe writes an article, takes it to his sub editor, who then says 'Cheers Chris, back pages for you tomorrow' then adds a contravesial comment so Chris takes the flack for it. I'm sorry but if he is allowing that to happen he has lost his integrity and sold out for money and allowed himself to be used as a pawn in a political game again.

Exactomento.

I think most people with any savvy see it that way and it was inevitable at the end of the day.

Correct and i dont see how anybody can argue otherwise. It would be interesting to know bascombes comments regarding souness when he gave an interview to the sister rag. ( not sure how old he was at the time though)

Bascombe did not begin to write his dramatic story about the Saudi investment until it appeared on here and other sites. He then spun it shamelessly without any quotes or sources into a battle between Hicks and Gillett and threw a few knowing comments about Rafa in the process.

But according to Tony Barret and LFC the entire story is tripe.

So the Bascombe method seems to be - pinch stuff off web-sites at the last minute before the Saturday night deadline, squeeze it into his hackneyed formula and then take the money and run.

September 28, 2009

Saudi interest comes as a surprise to Liverpool

Tony Barrett

Recommend?

Neither George Gillett Jr nor Tom Hicks, the co-owners of Liverpool, is expecting imminent investment in the club from Prince Faisal bin Fahd bin Abdullah al-Saud, a member of the Saudi Royal Family, despite reports to the contrary over the weekend.

Hicks and Gillett are in ongoing talks with a number of potential third-party investors as they seek first to reduce Liverpool’s £250 million debt and second to bring in the kind of sizeable cash injection needed to finance the club’s move from Anfield to a long-planned new stadium on nearby Stanley Park.

Prince Faisal, who visited the club’s academy in Kirkby on Saturday before attending Liverpool’s home match against Hull City, is the latest potential investor to express an interest in taking a stake in the club and his public admission to this effect has come as a surprise to Hicks in particular, but also to Gillett.

According to a report in Saudi Al-Riyadh, the newspaper, Prince Faisal, who chairs Fama Group, the Saudi holding company, and the F6 Sports Investment Firm, is willing to take a stake in Liverpool of up to 50 per cent for a fee in the region of £200-350 million.

Related Links

* Hicks intensifies search for new investors

* Hicks signals era of stability at Anfield

* Liverpool’s £80m shirt deal equals biggest ever

The high-profile nature of his reported interest, which began on Friday night with a news item on television in Saudi Arabia, has taken the Liverpool hierarchy aback, particularly Gillett who invited Prince Faisal to Merseyside as his guest to open negotiations about proposed Nascar and Liverpool academy initiatives in the Middle East. Gillett is holding talks with a number of interested parties at present and, as yet, there is still to be an official approach from Prince Faisal or any other members of the Saudi Royal Family.

In the past two years, Hicks and Gillett have entertained a number of potential investors at Anfield, but a deal is yet to materialise and The Times understands that Gillett held talks with another interested party in London last night.

Gillett’s visit to Merseyside was not without controversy as members of the Spirit Of Shankly (SOS) fans group, which has long been opposed to his and Hicks’s regime, protested against the American ownership of Liverpool at the club’s Melwood training ground.

An attempt to stage a similar protest at Anfield during the Hull game was stifled when flags and banners criticising Hicks and Gillett were seized by Merseyside Police shortly after they were unfurled in the Kop stand.

Edited by diego

Hasn't the cunt already used the 'my article was changed by someone else without my knowledge' excuse on this very forum after another shit article with personal digs against Rafa?

I'm sure he has and he even went as far as to say he'd had words with his employers and it would definately never happen again. Prick.

Hasn't the cunt already used the 'my article was changed by someone else without my knowledge' excuse on this very forum after another shit article with personal digs against Rafa?

I'm sure he has and he even went as far as to say he'd had words with his employers and it would definately never happen again. Prick.

http://www.liverpoolway.co.uk/forum/ff-football-forum/56509-online-news-world-match-report-changed.html

Here's the thread where he's already used this excuse and in a PM to me he assured me he had spoken to his employers and nothing like this would ever happen again.

Fuck me it's boring enough reading his not so little, not so subtle digs at Rafa after a defeat, but he still wants to put the knife in after a 6-1 win?

http://www.liverpoolway.co.uk/forum/ff-football-forum/56509-online-news-world-match-report-changed.html

Here's the thread where he's already used this excuse and in a PM to me he assured me he had spoken to his employers and nothing like this would ever happen again.

Fuck me it's boring enough reading his not so little, not so subtle digs at Rafa after a defeat, but he still wants to put the knife in after a 6-1 win?

He's the most anti-liverpool journo out there. Even manc reporters have less of an agenda, hell there's less bias on Red Cafe.

He's the most anti-liverpool journo out there. Even manc reporters have less of an agenda, hell there's less bias on Red Cafe.

The thing that gets me is he wants Rafa out but won't say so publicly. I had this argument with him over a year ago and he still won't admit it in print, he'd rather keep pecking away with sly, twatty comments hoping the drip, drip effect will eventually cost him his job.

I've actually PM'd this evening offering him the opportunity to comment on this but I see he hasn't been on here for a couple of weeks. Does anyone have his NOTW email address?

The thing that gets me is he wants Rafa out but won't say so publicly. I had this argument with him over a year ago and he still won't admit it in print, he'd rather keep pecking away with sly, twatty comments hoping the drip, drip effect will eventually cost him his job.

I've actually PM'd this evening offering him the opportunity to comment on this but I see he hasn't been on here for a couple of weeks. Does anyone have his NOTW email address?

You're wasting your time, he's a typical coward. If he had real balls he'd be going after someone like Slur Alex. He's operating in his comfort zone and with the ready made excuse that it's someone else's fault.

I've asked this twice already to no avail: why does Bascombe want Rafa gone?

You're wasting your time, he's a typical coward. If he had real balls he'd be going after someone like Slur Alex. He's operating in his comfort zone and with the ready made excuse that it's someone else's fault.

He doesn't need to be going after anyone for me. He just has to do one of two things.

A. Stop with the stupid personal digs and report on the game objectively and fairly. By all means make critisisms of the side and Rafa, we all do, but base these on facts or at least back up his opinions with some kind of explanation.

Or

B. Come out and admit publicly he doesn't rate Rafa as manager and he would like to see him sacked. He can then say who he thinks we can get in instead and how they would be an improvement and his readers will be able to bare this in mind when reading his articles.

However he has shown he can not do A, and has refused to do B for well over a year. Prick.

I've asked this twice already to no avail: why does Bascombe want Rafa gone?

I have no idea why they fell out, but it's fair to say they have, and have done so big time.

Over a year ago bascombe wanted him gone. He didn't like his purchases, the way he ran the club, the way Paco left and a whole host of other reasons.

Including, and this was before the start of last season, the fact we would never challenge for the title under Rafa as he wasn't good enough.

I have no idea why they fell out, but it's fair to say they have, and have done so big time.

Over a year ago bascombe wanted him gone. He didn't like his purchases, the way he ran the club, the way Paco left and a whole host of other reasons.

Including, and this was before the start of last season, the fact we would never challenge for the title under Rafa as he wasn't good enough.

This is what gets me, he's just a fat kid with a journalism degree and a pocket book full of footballing peoples phone numbers. His actual knowledge of what makes for success in football is less than even some of the casual supporters that post on here.