You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

2009 and there's still not been an openly gay footballer. How many years do you think it will be before one of them admits it?

Would you rip them to shreds if they came to play against us or do you think most fans have grown out of this shit now? How would you feel if one of our players came out?

I can't remember any player anywhere admitting to being gay except Justin Fashanu and that was after he'd quit playing. Didn't turn out that well for him either as I remember.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are bound to be a few of them out there, apparently every club has a player rumoured to be gay, and the rumour is always that they were going out with Will Young.

Homophobia isn't something to sing about, I wouldn't partake in ripping somebody over their sexuality.

If one of our players came out and said he was gay, I would be okay with it. As long as they play the game to the best of their ability, I don't care what they get up to behind closed doors.

2009 and there's still not been an openly gay footballer. How many years do you think it will be before one of them admits it?

Would you rip them to shreds if they came to play against us or do you think most fans have grown out of this shit now? How would you feel if one of our players came out?

I can't remember any player anywhere admitting to being gay except Justin Fashanu and that was after he'd quit playing. Didn't turn out that well for him either as I remember.

It's a very interesting point.

Being gay is pretty much accepted in every other sphere of work apart from professional football (or is it all sports?) - what is that all about?

I would think I'm pretty representative of a normal young man: Got a missus of seven years, mostly straight mates but have gay friends, make gay jokes (yes, in front of my gay friends, and they don't give a fuck), and don't give a damn where people like putting their pieces as long as they're a good laugh when they're out (as it were...)

Anyway, the point is I agree. Why is it still such a taboo subject?

I wonder if the game would go mental. If you think about some of the songs that are already sung, it's clearly going to happen on a massive scale. SO what happen then? Do the police wade in? Do the FA sanction clubs whose fans sing homophobic chants?

Or do you think they'd just let it continue?

I honestly can't see any player being brave enough to do it but it's going to be intersting how it folds out if it ever does. It's not just the player who'd have to be strong, there's some tough choices going to have to be made by people in positions of authority if it does. Could even be a reason why no one ever has. Been bribed/blackmailed/threatened or something to keep quiet about it.

There will be some no doubt, but I bet the percentage is much lower than in general society. Very few would get through YTS without being bullied out of the game, I bet a tiny percentage have made it into the professional game.

I would also guess we are still decades away from the first openly gay player, and the simple reason for that they would be destroyed by opposition fans, players, even team mates.

I honestly don't think the average supporter would have a problem with it.

However, there will be some people who have a major issue with it, and then there will be the 'mud slinging' angle. Opposition support will definitely highlight that sort of thing in their 'distraction'.

I wonder if the game would go mental. If you think about some of the songs that are already sung, it's clearly going to happen on a massive scale. SO what happen then? Do the police wade in? Do the FA sanction clubs whose fans sing homophobic chants?

Or do you think they'd just let it continue?

I honestly can't see any player being brave enough to do it but it's going to be intersting how it folds out if it ever does. It's not just the player who'd have to be strong, there's some tough choices going to have to be made by people in positions of authority if it does. Could even be a reason why no one ever has. Been bribed/blackmailed/threatened or something to keep quiet about it.

Exactly. It would be all but impossible for him to continue his career. Bigotry of all types is huge in football. Racists are everywhere, but the difference is they know they can't get away with it. Homophobes need not worry.

There will be some no doubt, but I bet the percentage is much lower than in general society. Very few would get through YTS without being bullied out of the game, I bet a tiny percentage have made it into the professional game.

I would also guess we are still decades away from the first openly gay player, and the simple reason for that they would be destroyed by opposition fans, players, even team mates.

I think your second paragraph is, sadly, spot on.

As for the first bit, I doubt it is something someone would bring up early on, so I don't know if that would have an effect.

However, the 'one in ten' figure would suggest there is not just one at every Premier League club, but at least one in ever first team (and at least a few more in the reserves...)

Who's ours???

It's a very interesting point.

Being gay is pretty much accepted in every other sphere of work apart from professional football (or is it all sports?) - what is that all about?

I would think I'm pretty representative of a normal young man: Got a missus of seven years, mostly straight mates but have gay friends, make gay jokes (yes, in front of my gay friends, and they don't give a fuck), and don't give a damn where people like putting their pieces as long as they're a good laugh when they're out (as it were...)

Anyway, the point is I agree. Why is it still such a taboo subject?

I don't think it's taboo as such, just a case of who is going to put themselves forward to be the subject of so much unstoppable hate?

I'd think the majority of people on this board seem pretty tolerant, etc but to give a scenario: that Champions League semi against the chavs, at stamford bridge. Drogba is diving, cheating, feigning injury and every other dispicable part of his game is coming out (ha!) and it looks like we're about to be knocked out because of that cunt. We're fuming and they decide to waste some time by bringing on their new signing who is a gay centre half. Can you imagine how that's going to pan out?

Can you imagine being gay and playing in the same team as John Terry or Joey Barton?

John Terry would take it up the arse from you whether you were gay or not. He's just that kind of a man.

Joey Barton was broken in by the pro's in jail - he'd have no problem. You wouldn't feel a thing though, Joey's ring is stretched to fuck.

Seriously though, who gives a fuck where they stick it on their own time?

I honestly don't think the average supporter would have a problem with it.

However, there will be some people who have a major issue with it, and then there will be the 'mud slinging' angle. Opposition support will definitely highlight that sort of thing in their 'distraction'.

You MUST be joking.

The abuse would be endless, vicious and remorseless. And the problem would be that it would actually, I believe, be reflected in the beliefs of many of said player's team-mates.

It'll be a brave man who actually says I like botty not totty.

Can you imagine being gay and playing in the same team as John Terry or Joey Barton?

Bit like being a black footballer in Barton's team after what his brother did. Maybe a bit wrong to say that, as it obviously wasnt him, it was his brother, but still, I wouldnt have wanted to be Micah, Nedum or Shaun the day after that story broke.

As much as I am consumed by loathing for Cristiano Ronaldo, Joey Barton puts those feelings very much in perspective. He doesn't deserve to be alive, let alone earn a fortune playing sport.

I can't see any of the Liverpool team being gay, just had a think about it then not that it would bother me. Apart from Reina looking a bit Right Said Fred, but he I doubt he has ever heard of them, so we can let him off with that.

[YOUTUBE]Gcbsy5SiCIo&autoplay=1[/YOUTUBE]

John Terry would take it up the arse from you whether you were gay or not. He's just that kind of a man.

Joey Barton was broken in by the pro's in jail - he'd have no problem. You wouldn't feel a thing though, Joey's ring is stretched to fuck.

Seriously though, who gives a fuck where they stick it on their own time?

That's the point though, a lot of people don't until they get inside a stadium.

I don't think it's taboo as such, just a case of who is going to put themselves forward to be the subject of so much unstoppable hate?

I'd think the majority of people on this board seem pretty tolerant, etc but to give a scenario: that Champions League semi against the chavs, at stamford bridge. Drogba is diving, cheating, feigning injury and every other dispicable part of his game is coming out (ha!) and it looks like we're about to be knocked out because of that cunt. We're fuming and they decide to waste some time by bringing on their new signing who is a gay centre half. Can you imagine how that's going to pan out?

You know what? It's going to take a really, really strong character, like Djibril Cisse (if he was gay), who does not give one single solitary flying fuck what anyone else thinks about anything, to announce he's with his male partner and what the fuck are you going to do about it.

The problem, of course, is that no footballer is going to willingly increase the pressure on themselves by 100 times. If you like bums, it's probably just easier to like bums in your spare time and play footie on weekends, innit.

I suspect we're in for a long wait.

I think your second paragraph is, sadly, spot on.

As for the first bit, I doubt it is something someone would bring up early on, so I don't know if that would have an effect.

However, the 'one in ten' figure would suggest there is not just one at every Premier League club, but at least one in ever first team (and at least a few more in the reserves...)

Who's ours???

Had the one in ten figure in mind writing the first bit. Really cant believe 1 in 10 players are gay. I'm sure they wouldnt bring it up over a game of pool after training, but people have a funny way of sniffing things out. Especially teenagers, who are characterised by all wanting to be the same as each other. When one is a bit different, it can stand out like a sore thumb.

We have the best equipped squad to deal with an 'outing' in the Prem. We have none of the horrible bigots mentioned, ours are an intelligent, enlightened bunch.

I can't see any of the Liverpool team being gay, just had a think about it then not that it would bother me. Apart from Reina looking a bit Right Said Fred, but he I doubt he has ever heard of them, so we can let him off with that.

[YOUTUBE]Gcbsy5SiCIo&autoplay=1[/YOUTUBE]

You are negged for autoplay just as soon as I can, due to me fucking REPPING you previously (what was I thinking?).

Anyway, fucking pack it in, will ya?