You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Striker situation

El Rojo

Torres kind of creates a problem when it comes to our front line. He plays at his best when he plays up front on his own and he is obviously first choice. That means you can't really sign a David Villa or another world class talent, because they won't be happy to spend 60% of their time on the bench. So you need to have playhers like Kuyt, Babel, and the much maligned Ngog who can do a job.

It's a very awkward scenario.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Dog Chaser

Babel can play as a forward now, his crossing ability is very poor so as a wide man he is fairly ineffective. He has the pace and power to play as the lone striker and maybe its his time to finally fulfill the massive potential he has minus the bad attitude.

We could bring God back for a third spell

Torres kind of creates a problem when it comes to our front line. He plays at his best when he plays up front on his own and he is obviously first choice. That means you can't really sign a David Villa or another world class talent, because they won't be happy to spend 60% of their time on the bench. So you need to have playhers like Kuyt, Babel, and the much maligned Ngog who can do a job.

Spot on.

I dont buy into the theory that Babel can play up front. None of the people who brought him through at Ajax thought so cos he was always out wide for them and that's where he plays for the national team. He control is awful but he gets away with it more out wide cos there's more space out there. More often than not when he cuts inside he loses the ball cos a bad touch in the middle of the pitch generally means you lose possession.

I can see the point of maybe sticking up thre as a last throw of the dice and seeing if he can do something with his pace but i cant ever see him starting in that position.

I think that's a good point.

If Torres and Villa can play up front together for Spain why not for Liverpool?

I reckon this could have been Babbel's chat with Rafa a couple of weeks back. He could have been told he's primarily going to play up front for the rest of the season and to prove himself.

Or maybe it'll just be Dirk. Dirk, who by the way, is never injured, so is an ideal back-up in that respect.

No end of February, it's on his profile on the lfc website

That's good then, the initial reports said it was 6 weeks.

Ahhh, your talking about his loan spell ending. I'm talking about when he's back from the broken cheekbone he suffered on his debut for Blackpool!

That's good then, the initial reports said it was 6 weeks.

Ahhh, your talking about his loan spell ending. I'm talking about when he's back from the broken cheekbone he suffered on his debut for Blackpool!

He can just get 1 of the carbon fibre masks for that kilbane had on when he done it

The players are used to playing with Torres and using his pace for through balls and to expose defenders. In that respect Babel as an alternative makes sense as all the rest don't have that blistering pace.

As for the rest

Kuyt - works hard, not playing well at the moment and drops too deep. Will prob get most of the game time when Torres is not playing

Babel - has no motivation at the moment...needs some consecutive games. Lethal shot on him (when he gets it right)

Ngog - lazy, never forces himself on the game. Not what we need.

Nemeth - still struggling to get over that ankle injury and hasn't been at his best for the reserves. He needs competitive game time

Pacheco - he's a deep lying forward so you would end up having Gerrard and himself on top of each other with no focal point to the attack

If Torres and Villa can play up front together for Spain why not for Liverpool?

Have you seen them play that well together for Spain? I haven't, but I haven't seen that many of Spain's international games over the last few years.

In the games I have seen Torres play, he has always played better when he is up front on his own supported by a 'number 10' or a deep lying forward. Just like he does with Gerrard right now.

Have you seen them play that well together for Spain? I haven't, but I haven't seen that many of Spain's international games over the last few years.

Just remember seeing Torres and Villa up front for Spain in the last European Champtionships. While they both got a good few goals, Torres wasn't as effective with Villa up there. While I think Villa is a smashing player, I don't think we should be trying to sign him. Would prefer us to bring in some more creative wide players who would get a few goals. Apart from Gerrard, we're not getting many goals from anyone else in our 5 man midfield...not good enough...