You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a criticism of anyone in particular, but a lot of people seem to have lost sight of reality.

Benitez brought us the European success that we'd missed for years, but now we're a force in Europe again people are happy to piss it away cos they've forgotten what it was like without it.

Appoint someone else who doesn't get us beyond the last sixteen and people will suddenly remember what they're missing.

Benitez has taken us from 30-odd points behind to being up at the top of the table in January.

At the start of the season a title challenge was what most people were asking for. But now that it looks like we're delivering one, it's not good enough anymore.

Now it's win the league or you're out. It's an almost child-esque situation of wanting more more more than you've already got.

The grass is always greener.

There's a lot of revisionism going on too. We beat newcastle 5-1 earlier in the season. At the time it was an achievement, now everybody's agreed that Newcastle were terrible. The Mancs beat west brom 5-0 and it's a phenomenal achievement.

I tell you what: Newcastle are fucking shit, but they're a lot fucking better than West Brom.

I'm not saying Benitez hasn't made mistakes, he's made plenty. He made many last night. Certainly he's not perfect.

But nor would any other manager be. We could appoint any of these names that people are reeling off, but soon they'd make mistakes too. Then we'd call for their heads.

Patience is what is needed. We are making progress. It might not be as instant as people would like, but it is there.

Not a criticism of anyone in particular, but a lot of people seem to have lost sight of reality.

Benitez brought us the European success that we'd missed for years, but now we're a force in Europe again people are happy to piss it away cos they've forgotten what it was like without it.

Appoint someone else who doesn't get us beyond the last sixteen and people will suddenly remember what they're missing.

Benitez has taken us from 30-odd points behind to being up at the top of the table in January.

At the start of the season a title challenge was what most people were asking for. But now that it looks like we're delivering one, it's not good enough anymore.

Now it's win the league or you're out. It's an almost child-esque situation of wanting more more more than you've already got.

There's a lot of revisionism going on too. We beat newcastle 5-1 earlier in the season. At the time it was an achievement, now everybody's agreed that Newcastle were terrible. The Mancs beat west brom 5-0 and it's a phenomenal achievement.

I tell you what: Newcastle are fucking shit, but they're a lot fucking better than West Brom.

I'm not saying Benitez hasn't made mistakes, he's made plenty. He made many last night. Certainly he's not perfect.

But nor would any other manager be. We could appoint any of these names that people are reeling off, but soon they'd make mistakes too. Then we'd call for their heads.

Patience is what is needed. We are making progress. It might not be as instant as people would like, but it is there.

A sensible post.

Can people who say they 'wanted us to be in a title challenge' and that they would have taken this at the start of the season please take a step back?

A title challenge doesnt peter out in January. A title challenge isnt something that lasts half a season.

A title challenge is being in contention in the last few games of the season when you're in with a chance to win it.

I never wanted a title challenge that is effectively over at the beginning of the new year.

A sensible post.

Excellent assessment.

People were moaning last season about rotation when things were going wrong but rarely mentioned it when we were top this season. Kuyt was rubbish then brilliant and rubbish again in the space of 6 months etc. etc. Don't forget only 2 of the richest clubs are above us and only just.

Rafa has made the most of a difficult situation, we are still in the title race, FA Cup and qualified for the knock out stages of Europe with our best ever points tally.

In his time here we have won The Champions League, been finalist and unlucky semi-finalist. We have won the FA Cup and also been finalist in the League Cup (again nearly winning it).

Rafa has built a team capable of winning (I cannot think of a team in the league where we were not equal), we are just going through a patch where we cannot buy a win. Ferguson and the rest know we are now credible title challengers.

I think the mentality of the modern football fan is that they get easily bored so continually want a change of personnel, and get very excited by a change of manager or a complete team of new players.

Sometimes I think that some fans are not really Liverpool fans but just need change in their life on a daily basis.

Rafa is one of the worlds best managers to replace him now would be a disaster - he is a winner!

We have had too many draws where we were the better team but have only LOST ONE LEAGUE MATCH!

Only one team can win each trophy, and we are near the top of that list each time (nearly).

Rant over:telloff:

Can people who say they 'wanted us to be in a title challenge' and that they would have taken this at the start of the season please take a step back?

A title challenge doesnt peter out in January. A title challenge isnt something that lasts half a season.

A title challenge is being in contention in the last few games of the season when you're in with a chance to win it.

I never wanted a title challenge that is effectively over at the beginning of the new year.

Our title challenge isn't over yet though, is it?

And I believe that is exactly the point he was trying to make.

Oh good.

Sorry, I found it hard to understand the first sentence properly and ignoring that tried to decipher exactly what he was saying, but must have misinterpreted.

Can hardly blame me though, considering the total mental meltdown on here.

Another great question - so who would we go if Rafa left? Can Parry be trusted? Well he did bring Rafa in didn't he - who expected that? I think we can definitely trust Parry with appointing a manager the fans will want and get excited about thats for sure.

But who? I am intrigued by how well Guardiola is doing and think a bright young manager might be a good bet or a young manager who has had success like Rijkaard. I think Hiddink hasn't done anything domestically to deserve a go and the day to day might grind him down.

The one man who would relish the challenge of breaking the league hoodoo, the man who would love to be amongst the fight, and a man the players will love is Jose Mourinho. If you are smart then you get that man - but not if you want to see pretty football.

Exactly.

That team was built by Ranieri & because Kenyon nicked the Manc's scouting list.

It got worse year after year.

Grant had a better record in the League at the end & a better record in Europe.

Rafa beat him twice when it really mattered with an inferior set of players!

+ It is immaterial because Inter pay him way more than £8m, in Euros & without punitive taxation about to be applied to it.

We cant match that

+ He is not stupid to come here & fail, which he would without any cash behind him

So who built the Porto Uefa and European cup winning team and how did their wage bill fare with other European giants?

Also Grant won nothing and Mourinho won 2 leagues, 1 FA Cup and 1 League cup - what do you mean?

So I ask again, how did he win YOUR holy grail with zero money and shit wages?

People are placing too much importance on players loving the manager. I'm not convinced that many of the Manc squad love Ferguson, Ronaldo certainly doesn't. The Chelsea squad might have bummed Mourinho, but it didn't stop them completely underachieving by his third season. Besides, Chelsea players are predisposed to love men.

Good work.

If I had the remotest idea how to I would rep you for that.

So who built the Porto Uefa and European cup winning team and how did their wage bill fare with other European giants?

Also Grant won nothing and Mourinho won 2 leagues, 1 FA Cup and 1 League cup - what do you mean?

So I ask again, how did he win YOUR holy grail with zero money and shit wages?

Mourinho's achievement in Europe (Uefa Cup as well) with Porto were amazing.

There is an potential issue about the uncovereing of bribes paid to refs though; so far that has only been discovered in domestic games so doesn't take anything away from European achievement.

Truly exceptional to win the Uefa & then CL in successive seasons with Porto.

I always refer to his Chelsea performace as essentially being "unproven" given the ridiculous gap in resources, the poor signings, the team going backwards & most importantly, the failiure to even reach a CL final.

I am pretty sure almost any top flight manager would have won the League with Chavs in that 1st year so am left asking what he really brought to the party.

Remember Walter Smith won domestic title after domestic title when he had a vast resources advantage.

Grant scored higher pts/game last year than Mourinho although there are sample size issues.