You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Massive difference between a double Champions League Final appearing Valencia and little old Porto though?

Yeah, little old Porto with players like Carvalho, Deco and Maniche. They were a solid side with some very good players in it, just like their opponents in the CL-final that year, Monaco, with Morientes, Guily, Rothen, Evra and so on.

Yeah, little old Porto with players like Carvalho, Deco and Maniche. They were a solid side with some very good players in it, just like their opponents in the CL-final that year, Monaco, with Morientes, Guily, Rothen, Evra and so on.

You suggested though that Mourinho can only do it spending millions at Chelsea, I suggested that at Porto that wasn't the case. We have gone off on a tangent here, but back to your point - the likes of Carvalho, Deco and Maniche cost him nothing and he made them win the Champions League, the Uefa Cup and lifted Porto from also rans to league winners 3 years in row. You have to give him credit for that. His Cv has more than Chelsea on it surely?

You suggested though that Mourinho can only do it spending millions at Chelsea

I suggested no such thing. I said that Rafa would've done better than Mourinho if given the same resources.

Also I feel that, given the circumstances for both and the resources at their disposal, their back-to back uefa-cl achievements are equally impressive.

Clearly they are both good managers, but I'm convinced that Rafa has the beating of him tactically.

I suggested no such thing. I said that Rafa would've done better than Mourinho if given the same resources.

Also I feel that, given the circumstances for both and the resources at their disposal, their back-to back uefa-cl achievements are equally impressive.

Clearly they are both good managers, but I'm convinced that Rafa has the beating of him tactically.

Back to back with Porto is more impressive than with Liverpool and Valencia but I agree both are excellent achievements. Rafa had an poor league record against Mourinho but an excellent Champions League one - that sums up his time here in a nutshell does't it? Why couldn't the tactics be the same in the league? Or did the crowd also play a major part in the Champions League wins? The different between them is small but they are different types of managers and that's where Mourinho has the edge for me, he is a better man manager.

Why couldn't the tactics be the same in the league?

I find it pretty reasonable that a squad vastly more expensive and superior in quality would do better than an inferior one in a competition lasting 38 games. Even if Rafa had gotten his tactics spot on in every game, pure logic suggests that the first team would pick up more points.

You suggested though that Mourinho can only do it spending millions at Chelsea, I suggested that at Porto that wasn't the case. We have gone off on a tangent here, but back to your point - the likes of Carvalho, Deco and Maniche cost him nothing and he made them win the Champions League, the Uefa Cup and lifted Porto from also rans to league winners 3 years in row. You have to give him credit for that. His Cv has more than Chelsea on it surely?

Its the standard attack on Mourinho's credentials.

They'll say anyone can do it with Chelsea's resources: It makes it easier no doubt, but look at Grant and Scolari with the same squad. Chelsea are nowhere near as formidable. Also his Porto success would see to be the deal clincher.

You'll then get the oul Porto were bent and had good players as well.

If he wins SerieA with Inter the excuse will be that he inherited the team that already won back to back titles. If they knock United out in the CL, it'll be down to something else.

The fact is that he is a very good manager with great record.

Its the standard attack on Mourinho's credentials.

They'll say anyone can do it with Chelsea's resources: It makes it easier no doubt, but look at Grant and Scolari with the same squad. Chelsea are nowhere near as formidable. Also his Porto success would see to be the deal clincher.

You'll then get the oul Porto were bent and had good players as well.

If he wins SerieA with Inter the excuse will be that he inherited the team that already won back to back titles. If they knock United out in the CL, it'll be down to something else.

The fact is that he is a very good manager with great record.

No one is saying he isn't.

People think Rafa is better.

I agree.

I don't think it's unreasonable to think that Mourinho would have struggled to better Rafa's achievements at Liverpool given the same constraints.

Ever since Mourinho left Chelsea, their spending has dropped off a cliff relative to what it was when they were winning the title.

Anyone wanting to know why they're regressing might want to think about the fact that they've brought more money in from selling players than spent since the summer.

Not, as they say, rocket science.

Ever since Mourinho left Chelsea, their spending has dropped off a cliff relative to what it was when they were winning the title.

Anyone wanting to know why they're regressing might want to think about the fact that they've brought more money in from selling players than spent since the summer.

Not, as they say, rocket science.

Welcome back.

It's been awhile.

No one is saying he isn't.

People think Rafa is better.

I agree.

I don't think it's unreasonable to think that Mourinho would have struggled to better Rafa's achievements at Liverpool given the same constraints.

We'll never know. Given Rafa's predilection for "controlling the game", I'm not sure he'll ever win the title, whether he is here or was with Chelsea. Sometimes you've just gotta throw the kitchen sink at teams, especially the shit ones who pack their defences.

You can certainly make a case that Rafa is the better manager, but i think you can make just as strong a case the other way.

The fuck it is.

And you're not seriously suggesting Grant and Scolari spent as much on players as Mourinho did?

They've got more or less the same squad. Thats what I'm saying. People were saying last summer that Chelsea's squad was their best ever. On paper at least.

But they have lost their old intensity, they can no longer defend corners, team spirit looks like its low, that sort of thing.

Was on RAWK the other day and somebody was saying that O'Neill is exactly what the LFC fans have been crying for. He doesn't rotate, plays the same team every week, plays players in their rightful position, is passionate, is reasonably positive, plays with a lot of width, can spot a player, is a great man motivator and could stand up for himself and us. The only problem is that he is a cunt and an ex Forest one at that. The football might not be too pretty either.

If people are complaining about our football now, they'll be incensed if O'Neill turns up, and signs John Carew. It might be effective, to an extent, but its anything BUT pretty.

I'd go for Hiddink but Martin O'Neil would be an excellent choice too.

This man can get blood from a stone. I'm am sure that he would extract a better week-in, week-out performance than Rafa.

He is not tactically as astute as Rafa but that will come with time with a good continental second. For the EPL, against certain opposition over-engineered tactical theory does not work. You need to manage and play like a bloody minded teenager and fight a war of attrition, Rafa cannot do that (his philosophy is not to smash the opposition with passes, shots, volleys and hard runner but to unlock them through tactics) and so some extent nor can Wenger over the last few years. The EPL is not about an art-form unless you're Arsenal and even then, they had the magnificent Viera as their midfield destroyer.

Hiddink as number 1 choice. Simply brilliant record, brilliant person and would be excellent and understand to the fans.

MO'Neil as a work in progress candidate but a guy who could build a dynasty within 5 years just like Fergal and Wenger.

Hiddink for me also he always gets the most out of his teams and plays attractive football.I would not want Mourinho or O'Neill anywhere near LFC. Both good managers with proven track records Mourinho in particular but two classless cunts if ever I seen them (I prefer Mourinho's puppet on Setanta to the real thing).